2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:17:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread  (Read 78282 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
« edited: August 31, 2014, 11:54:43 PM by NHI »

2008 Presidential Election: Signups

√ (R) Rudy Giuliani: 307 (36.7%)
(D) Joe Biden: 195 (34.8%)
(L) Gary Johnson: 21 (14.6%)
(G) Dennis Kucinich: 15 (13.7%)
Other: 0 (0.2%)

In 2004 Rudy Giuliani succeeded incumbent President George W. Bush, who chose not to seek reelection and became the 44th President of the United States. Giuliani won a decisive election against Democratic nominee Joe Biden, along with Green Party nominee Dennis Kucinich and Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson. The first four years of the Giuliani Administration saw low unemployment, success in the Afghanistan and Iraq War. Giuliani received high marks for his handling of the natural disaster: Hurricane Katrina. Giuliani enjoyed relatively high approval ratings from the public, but many of the distractions for the President came from the right wing of the party. Much speculation being put to a potential primary challenge against the President. Both likely Republican candidates (Bob Smith and Jim DeMint) declined a run, but conservatives are still actively searching for a candidate.

Democrats eager to win back the White House after nearly eight years in the political wilderness have yet to find a candidate. Frontrunner include Hillary Clinton, John Edwards and Blanche Lincoln, but only Clinton has declared a candidacy.

Presidential Giuliani Approval Rating: September 2007
Approve: 53%
Disapprove: 40%
Undecided/No Opinion: 7%

Republican Nomination Poll: September 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 77%
Other 'More Conservative Candidate': 18%
Undecided: 5%

I will begin taking signups: This will close on Sunday, we'll begin the game on Tuesday if that works?

Round 1: September 1st-September 8, 2007

Candidates:

Republican Primary:
Newt Gingrich: BaconBacon96
Rudy Giuliani: DKrol of Highgarden
Ron Paul: Jerseyrules
Mark Sanford: Senator Spiral

Democratic Primary:
Evan Bayh: RGN08
Hillary Clinton: NewYorkNewYorkExpress
Howard Dean: IDS Emperor Maxwell
John Edwards: Sjoyce
John Kerry: Dubya
Mary Landrieu: Flo
Blanche Lincoln: badgate

Independent/Libertarian/Green Candidate:
Michael Bloomberg: JerryArkansas
Ralph Nader: Senator Cranberry
Jesse Ventura: Madman Motely
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »

OOC: Maybe conservatives are bolting the Republicans in large number and the Republican Party is basically tiny. But either way, the numbers don't really add up.
OOC: So, President Giuliani has moved the Republican Party dramatically toward the center? 84% approval among Republicans coinciding with a 50% disapproval among conservatives is bizarre. It suggests a large, large shift in the base of the Republican Party. In this environment, a Blue Dog Democrat would be a major challenger to Giuliani.

I've revised the numbers and re-figured somethings. I've left with a general approval rating, along with the nomination poll.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »

Well darn. I was hoping that Rudy was some sort of transformational leader who fundamentally changed the nature of politics in America. 
Me being over idealistic...realistically the country needs a lot for that to happen. Maybe in a second Giuliani term...
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »

Can we do campaign announcements in the official 2008 thread?

Hmmmm... Should I remove it and wait for the main thread? I figured the schedule was the really important part, and the game thread starts in September 2007 (I assume the candidates would have declared much earlier)

I'll leave it up to you all. We can keep this strict the signup thread, I don't have a problem though with this also including the announcements. I will post all the candidates and who is playing them on the first post.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »

I'll be playing as a Mark Sanford (Senator Spiral) surrogate Smiley
Ok.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »

Iowa and South Carolina: The Heart and Soul of the Republican Nomination

Rudy Giuliani is the first incumbent President since Jimmy Carter to receive a serious primary challenge from within his own party. The men who would-be the nominee are Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. Gingrich, the architect of the 1994 Republican Landslide that delivered the GOP control of both the House and the Senate has been a darling in conservative circles, especially after his showdowns with former President Bill Clinton. Gingrich, while a conservative icon of the 1990s in more recent years has been seen as a liability, given the fact he resigned from Congress, as well as battled ethic charges from within the House and by members of his own party who reprimanded the former speaker during his tenure.

For Evangelical Christian Conservatives, Gingrich's personal life is also seen as baggage. Having been married three times, including an adulterous affair with his current wife Callista Gingrich, while he was married to his second wife. However, in recent years Gingrich has tried to rebrand his image. He has authored multiple best-selling books and has been on the speaker circuit, as well on the stump for various Republican candidates over the years.

Gingrich brings to the field as certain level of gravitas, being the former speaker of the House, as well his responsibility for the successful Contract with America, where won big Congressional victories for the GOP. Some analysts believe conservatives may be able to look past Gingrich's shortcomings and unite behind him as a conservative who can win.

The Governor of South Carolina, Mark Sanford surprised many by throwing his hat into the ring by challenging Giuliani. Many considered Sanford a future Presidential contender and while conservatives groups have been fawning over him, it seemed unlikely to many that he would pass on a run, much like other South Carolina native Senator Jim DeMint and former New Hampshire Senator Bob Smith.

Unlike Gingrich, Sanford comes with little personal baggage, as well as an impressive resume, first as a Congressman in the House and now Governor. Being from South Carolina doesn't hurt him either and as a he travels to Iowa and the early primary states, he may be able to unite conservatives in a way that Gingrich cannot. Early polls still give Giuliani a slight advantage over the incumbent Governor, even in South Carolina, but with Sanford now officially in the race, those numbers are expected to change.

For Giuliani to be defeated for renomination and it is an uphill climb, given as the President sits on a 53 percent approval rating, nevertheless a challenger could be successful by avoiding a gaffe free campaign and managing to unite the conservative wing of the party, as well as other Republicans to vote for him.

The difficult part, most analysts and veteran Republicans see is party unity after what is likely to be a contentious primary. In recent years both President George H.W. Bush and President Jimmy Carter both faced primary challenges from within their own party and in the end it did more damage to the nominee and the party brand. Both Bush and Carter lost their reelections to Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan respectively.

They key for Giuliani, Sanford and Gingrich will be to keep the nomination fight from getting personal and for the party to unite at the end of the process, regardless of the nominee. One step, some pundits see as an option for Giuliani is naming a conservative pick for VP, now that Kay Bailey Hutchison has announced she will not seek a second term on the ticket.

Current polls give Giuliani a commanding lead, but with the first caucuses and primaries not until January, there is still time for either Gingrich or Sanford to catch lightning in a bottle. The success for either challenger rests on how well they do in the early states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Republican Nomination Poll: 2008
Rudy Giuliani: 71%
Mark Sanford: 9%
Newt Gingrich: 7%
Undecided: 13%

Iowa Caucuses: Republicans (January 3, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 61%
Mark Sanford: 14%
Newt Gingrich: 12%
Undecided: 13%

New Hampshire Primary: Republicans (January 8, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 72%
Newt Gingrich 10%
Mark Sanford: 7%
Undecided: 11%

South Carolina Primary: Republicans (January 19, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 51%
Mark Sanford: 39%
Newt Gingrich: 2%
Undecided: 8%

Other Early Contests:

Wyoming Caucuses: Republicans (January 5, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 60%
Newt Gingrich: 13%
Mark Sanford: 12%
Undecided: 15%

Michigan Primary: Republicans (January 15, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 74%
Newt Gingrich: 9%
Mark Sanford: 8%
Undecided: 9%

Nevada Caucuses: Republicans (January 19, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 72%
Newt Gingrich: 10%
Mark Sanford: 9%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

Jerry we already have two third party candidates. If you want to, cool, it'll probably be fun, but personally I hope we have a crowded Dem primary.
I would run as a Democrat, but there's no one to run as that I like.  Anyways, it throws New York and the Entire Northeast into turmoil.  Just like how Jesse is doing with the West and Nadar in Safe democratic states.
I'm for it. As has been noted, this TL shows a strong surge of third party candidates, so it's only fitting, plus it'll make for an interesting map.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »

I'll be running a Koch brothers-like network of outside spending organization.
Ok, great.

I'll go as Blomberg.  Lets have a nice independent run in here.

I will mention that Bloomberg did endorse Giuliani back in '04.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »

I'll be running a Koch brothers-like network of outside spending organization.
Ok, great.

I'll go as Blomberg.  Lets have a nice independent run in here.

I will mention that Bloomberg did endorse Giuliani back in '04.
I can say "Giuliani has not lived up to the principles that I thought he would uphold when I endorsed him in 2004.  He has broken promises made to the American People."
That's fine, just wanted to put it out there for you.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »

Is it too late to sign up?  If not I'd like to run as Ron Paul Smiley
Signups close today, so you're good!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »

Reminder signups will close tonight and the game will officially commence, starting the week of September 1-September 7, 2007. Also, the first post will include results from the Ames Straw Poll, as well as early primary numbers for both parties.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »

Round 1: September 1-September 7, 2007

The Presidential Primary Season is underway! Candidates for both the Republicans and Democratic Nomination are crisscrossing the country, visiting the all important primary states, hoping to rally voters to their campaigns. On the Republican side, incumbent President Rudy Giuliani faces a primary challenge, the likes not seen since 1980, when Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy challenged President Jimmy Carter. Giuliani face three challenges, ranging from former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, to conservative darling South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford and late entry Texas Senator and Libertarian Republican Ron Paul. Already the race has received some jump starts with conservative groups pouring money behind Sanford, and in August the South Carolina Governor and the President tied the Ames Straw Poll, the impressive showing is already boosting moment to the campaign. In early August Giuliani led his rivals with over 60 percent of the vote in Iowa, now after the Straw Poll, the race is starting to tighten and Giuliani has dipped down to the mid fifties; he still holds a 34 point lead, but with four months to go, a lot can happen and the energy appears to be surrounding the challengers, namely Sanford for at least the moment.

The response from the Giuliani Campaign has largely been to ignore the challenges and run a Rose Garden Strategy, but if any of the candidate continue to gain momentum Giuliani may be forced to take a stand and become involved in the primary.

While all incumbent Presidents over the last few decades have survived primary challenges, in the cases of both 1992 and 1980 the incumbent was left weak after the process and the party brand tarnished. It remains to be seen if Republicans will be able to come together after what is expected by many to be a long and hard slog for the nomination.

On the Democratic side it's a three way race for the frontrunner status. 2004 candidates Hillary Clinton and John Edwards lead the top two spots respectively, while 2004 Vice Presidential Candidate Blanche Lincoln pulls up the rear for third. The field is considerably stronger and much more varied than four years ago. Massachusetts Senator John Kerry entered the race, along with Indiana Senator Evan Bayh and Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu. All three have yet to achieve a breakout moment, but with four months to go before the Iowa Caucuses, there is still time for the candidates to make an impression. Iowa Governor Tom Vislack looks to be a long shot candidate, but perhaps can be a dark horse in the Iowa Caucuses, especially running as a favorite son. But, only time will tell.

Pulling up the rear is Vermont Governor Howard Dean. With little exposure outside of New England, it difficult for many to see how Dean can progress out of single digit poll numbers, but his campaign staff insists Dean is the dark horse in the race and by doing well in Iowa (a state he is relentlessly campaigning in) he will set himself up for success down the line.

Four years ago the frontrunner field looked very similar between Hillary Clinton and John Edwards. Both candidates ultimately failed to seal the deal with voters, in parts do to campaign missteps and health issues; allowing Delaware Senator Joe Biden to come from behind and win the nomination. "Democrats want to fall in love, Republicans fall in line," as Former President Bill Clinton has said of the primary process and while Clinton and Edwards seemed to be more focused the second time around it is possible and an underdog could once again win the nomination.

Between the two parties there is an interesting philosophical divide, while Democrats are looking for a champion of liberal causes and who will not kow-tow to the Republican Congress (which is likely to remain unchanged regardless of who wins the election), but more importantly who can win. After nearly eight years of being in the political wilderness Democrats are looking to come out the darkness and reclaim the White House. With Republicans many conservative voters are frustrated and disappointed with the Giuliani Administration and want a candidate more in line with their views. However, fortunately, for the moment, Giuliani sits on a healthy approval rating all abut assuring him the nomination.

Another angle for the upcoming election is the presence of third parties. Already 2000 Green Party candidate Ralph Nader has announced he will be entering the race, causing some anxiety among Democrats. Nader's confidence is boosted by the electoral performance of Dennis Kucinich who finished fourth carrying two states and nearly fourteen percent of the popular vote. For some Democrats, the thought of another Green Party candidate prevents the possibility of throwing the election in favor of the Republican candidate. Though, four years and likely this time as well a strong Libertarian Candidate will be on the ballot and 2008 it looks like 2004 VP and now Independent Senator from Minnesota Jesse Ventua will be on the ballot. Though, Ventura doesn't seem to have the grassroots connection with the Libertarian party that propelled Gary Johnson so far in 2004 and many pundits expect Ventura will not perform as well as Johnson did.

However, one candidate sure to shakeup the entire election and quite possibly throw the election in the House of Representatives is Former Republican, turned Independent New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The billionaire has pledge to put a lot of his own wealth into the campaign and is committed to being on the ballot in all fifty states. At this point it is hard to see who Bloomberg will take more voters away from, but one thing is for sure 2008 is looking to be nothing like 2004.

So sit back, relax and let the games begin!

Republicans:

Ames Straw Poll: August 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 3,614 (31.9%)
Mark Sanford: 3,614 (31.9%)

Newt Gingrich: 2,988 (26.4%)
Ron Paul: 1,044 (9.2%)
Other: 50 (0.6%)

Republican Nomination Poll: September 2007 (Giuliani +45)
Rudy Giuliani: 60%
Mark Sanford: 15%
Newt Gingrich: 8%
Ron Paul: 4%
Undecided: 12%

Iowa Caucuses Poll: September 2007 (Giuliani +34)
Rudy Giuliani: 53%
Mark Sanford: 19%
Newt Gingrich: 10%
Ron Paul: 5%

New Hampshire Primary Poll: September 2007 (Giuliani +49)
Rudy Giuliani: 62%
Mark Sanford: 13%
Ron Paul: 10%
Newt Gingrich: 7%

South Carolina Primary Poll: September 2007 (Giuliani +7)
Rudy Giuliani: 48%
Mark Sanford: 40%
Newt Gingrich: 2%
Ron Paul: 1%

Democrats:

Democratic Nomination Poll: September 2007 (Clinton +1)
Hillary Clinton: 16%
John Edwards: 15%
Blanche Lincoln: 13%
John Kerry: 10%
Evan Bayh: 10%
Mary Landrieu: 9%
Tom Vislack: 8%
Howard Dean: 7%

Iowa Caucuses Poll: September 2007 (Edwards +1)
John Edwards: 16%
Tom Vislack: 15%
Hillary Clinton: 11%
Blanche Lincoln: 10%
Howard Dean: 10%
Evan Bayh: 8%
Mary Landrieu: 6%
John Kerry: 5%
Undecided: 19%

New Hampshire Primary Poll: September 2007 (Clinton +4)
Hillary Clinton: 18%
John Edwards: 14%
John Kerry: 12%
Howard Dean: 10%
Blanche Lincoln: 7%
Evan Bayh: 7%
Mary Landrieu: 5%
Tom Vislack: 5%
Undecided: 22%

South Carolina Primary Poll: September 2007 (Edwards +7)
John Edwards: 20%
Blanche Lincoln: 13%
Mary Landrieu: 12%
Hillary Clinton: 10%
Evan Bayh: 8%
John Kerry: 8%
Tom Vislack: 6%
Howard Dean: 5%
Undecided: 38%

This round will last until Thursday at 11:59 pm EST
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »

May we also get some general election polling, early as it may be?

Two Way Race Poll: September 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 51% (+7)
Hillary Clinton: 44%

Rudy Giuliani: 51% (+8)
John Edwards: 43%

Rudy Giuliani: 51% (+8)
John Kerry: 43%

Rudy Giuliani: 51% (+10)
Blanche Lincoln: 41%

Rudy Giuliani: 53% (+13)
Mary Landrieu: 40%

Rudy Giuliani: 54% (+13)
Evan Bayh: 41%

Rudy Giuliani: 54% (+17)
Howard Dean: 37%

Rudy Giuliani: 55% (+17)
Tom Vislack: 38%

Generic Five Way Race: Poll September 2007

Republican: 31%
Independent: 27%
Democrat: 23%
Libertarian: 7%
Green: 4%

Mark Sanford as Republican Nominee: Two Way Race Against Democratic Frontrunners Poll

Hillary Clinton: 47% (+1)
Mark Sanford: 46%

Mark Sanford: 46%
John Edwards: 46%

Mark Sanford: 47% (+3)
Blanche Lincoln: 44%

Newt Gingrich as Republican Nominee: Two Way Race Against Democratic Frontrunners Poll

Hillary Clinton: 49% (+5)
Newt Gingrich: 44%

John Edwards: 47% (+3)
Newt Gingrich: 44%

Blanche Lincoln: 47% (+2)
Newt Gingrich: 45%

Ron Paul as Republican Nominee: Two Way Race Against Democratic Frontrunners Poll

Hillary Clinton: 52% (+10)
Ron Paul: 42%

John Edwards: 52% (+10)
Ron Paul: 42%

Blanche Lincoln: 50% (+7)
Ron Paul: 43%

Giuliani v Clinton v. Bloomberg v. Ventura v. Nader Poll: September 2007
(R) Rudy Giuliani: 28% (+1)
(I) Michael Bloomberg: 27%
(D) Hillary Clinton: 25%
(L) Jesse Ventura: 7%
(G) Ralph Nader: 4%

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:54:17 PM »

I will most more polls later.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »

FYI:

Endorsement thread has been created. How will works is like this:
Each of you can have three individuals and two organizations per round (5 total).

Thanks!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 03:49:09 PM »

The round will close tomorrow at midnight
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »

Yes, that's what I meant.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »

Breaking News:
John Edwards ends bid for President.

The former Senator and 2004 Candidate ended his campaign for President. Edwards released a statement, but did not endorse.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

Reminder: round ends tonight a at 11:59 pm
The round will be up either tonight or in am, I'm flying back so maybe a bit delayed.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 06:39:01 PM by NHI »

Round 2: September 7-14, 2007

The race for President is underway. Rudy Giuliani continues to fends off his Republican challenges, by focusing on what many are considering a successful and aggressive Rose Garden Strategy. He has largely chosen to ignore his Republican rivals, though they certainly are not ignoring him. The President has the support of former President Bush, Senator John McCain and Senator George Allen (a great endorsement, seen as shoring up Giuliani’s conservative planks.) While no announcement has been made, Allen is widely considered to be in the running for the VP spot on the ticket.

At the moment Mark Sanford appears to be Giuliani’s strongest competitor , already airing radio and TV ads across the early primary states. Sanford is succeeding in presenting himself not merely as a conservative opposed to Giuliani, but a conservative problem solver, highlighting his successful record as Governor.

On the Democratic side John Edwards ended his bid for the nomination, shaking up the race as September moves along. Already, Blanche Lincoln is looking more and more sturdy as a frontrunner, moving into second place in the latest poll with Hillary Clinton still narrowly in the lead.

Other Democrats to watch include Senator Evan Bayh and Governor Howard Dean, both whom are making strong pushes in the early states of New Hampshire and Iowa respectively, while John Kerry and Mary Landrieu, while accomplished have yet to distinguish themselves.  Tom Vilsack continues to holds a lead in the Iowa Caucuses and analysts believe there that by defining himself through debates and then with a win in Iowa his campaign may be cleared for take off.

The candidates will have their chance to face off in their debate in New Hampshire, coming up on September 10th.

The Independent candidates continue their campaigns, while much of it now is focused on building campaign infrastructure and raising awareness. So far the most successful has been Independent Senator and 2004 Libertarian Candidate Jesse Ventura, who already with high name ID is coming across very formidably. Ralph Nader, the likely Green Party candidate is also appearing to give a strong run, following in the footsteps of Dennis Kucinch four years earlier.

Iowa Caucuses Poll: September 2007 (Democrats)
Tom Vilsack: 18%
Hillary Clinton: 16%
Blanche Lincoln: 16%
Howard Dean: 16%
Evan Bayh: 13%
Mary Landrieu: 6%
John Kerry: 5%
Undecided: 10%

Iowa Caucuses Poll: September 2007 (Republicans)
Rudy Giuliani: 53%
Mark Sanford: 20%
Newt Gingrich: 13%

New Hampshire Primary Poll: September 2007 (Democrats)
Hillary Clinton: 18%
Blanche Lincoln: 14%
John Kerry: 13%
Howard Dean: 12%
Evan Bayh: 12%
Mary Landrieu: 9%
Tom Vilsack: 7%
Undecided: 17%

New Hampshire Primary Poll: September 2007 (Republicans)
Rudy Giuliani: 59%
Mark Sanford: 14%
Ron Paul: 8%
Newt Gingrich: 5%
Undecided: 14%

Democratic Nomination: Poll September 2007
Hillary Clinton: 21%
Blanche Lincoln: 18%
Evan Bayh: 11%
John Kerry: 11%
Howard Dean: 11%
Tom Vilsack: 9%
Mary Lanrdieu: 9%

Republican Nomination: Poll (September 2007)
Rudy Giuliani: 59%
Mark Sanford: 17%
Newt Gingrich: 8%

Presidential Primary Debate:
University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH
Moderated by: Brian Williams and Tim Russert

To Senator Clinton: Senator Clinton, the Democrats are ready to win after nearly eight years out of the White House. They are looking for a candidate who excites them and will champion their causes. Some Democrats have privately expressed doubts about your ability to not only unite the party, but to defeat President Giuliani in what is expected to be a long and most likely narrow contest. Are you the candidate the Democrats are looking for?

To Governor Vilsack: Governor, do you believe the surge is working and would it continue under your administration?

To Senator Lincoln: Senator, you were on the ballot as the Vice Presidential candidate four years ago with Senator Joe Biden and the ticket didn't prevail, what makes you the right candidate this time, despite losing four years ago?

To Senator Kerry: Senator Kerry, you've criticized the President's tax plan, saying it favors the top one percent in this country, how do you propose changing the current system?

To Senator Landrieu: Senator, What separates you from all the other candidates on the stage tonight?

To Senator Bayh: Senator Bayh, President Giuliani sits on a fifty-three percent approval rating, despite a primary challenge, and I'm aware it's early, but how do you defeat him?

Governor Dean: Governor Dean, only you Senator Bayh and Governor Vilsack have previous executive experience, serving as your respective states' governors. Does that make a difference, and if so are you the candidate best fit to lead the party and the nation if you are successful?

To All: What will you do on day one as President? What is your top priority?

To Senator Clinton, Senator Lincoln and Senator Landrieu: This is a rather historic site, to have three women competing for a presidential nomination, it sort of goes without saying, but is America ready to elect a woman President?

To All: How do we solve the crisis on the border? What are the solutions to America's illegal immigration problem?

To All: Right, here right now, regardless of you wins the nomination, are you committed to supporting the eventual nominee, and rule out either not supporting the candidate or running as a third party?

A Republican one will be held if all candidates are agreeable?

This Round will close on Tuesday at 11:59 pm.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »

Presidential Primary Debate:
University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH
Moderated by: Brian Williams and Tim Russert

To Senator Clinton: Senator Clinton, the Democrats are ready to win after nearly eight years out of the White House. They are looking for a candidate who excites them and will champion their causes. Some Democrats have privately expressed doubts about your ability to not only unite the party, but to defeat President Giuliani in what is expected to be a long and most likely narrow contest. Are you the candidate the Democrats are looking for?

To Governor Vislack: Governor, do you believe the surge is working and would it continue under your administration?

To Senator Lincoln: Senator, you were on the ballot as the Vice Presidential candidate four years ago with Senator Joe Biden and the ticket didn't prevail, what makes you the right candidate this time, despite losing four years ago?

To Senator Kerry: Senator Kerry, you've criticized the President's tax plan, saying it favors the top one percent in this country, how do you propose changing the current system?

To Senator Landrieu: Senator, What separates you from all the other candidates on the stage tonight?

To Senator Bayh: Senator Bayh, President Giuliani sits on a fifty-three percent approval rating, despite a primary challenge, and I'm aware it's early, but how do you defeat him?

Governor Dean: Governor Dean, only you Senator Bayh and Governor Harkin have previous executive experience, serving as your respective states' governors. Does that make a difference, and if so are you the candidate best fit to lead the party and the nation if you are successful?

To All: What will you do on day one as President? What is your top priority?

To Senator Clinton, Senator Lincoln and Senator Landrieu: This is a rather historic site, to have three women competing for a presidential nomination, it sort of goes without saying, but is America ready to elect a woman President?

To All: How do we solve the crisis on the border? What are the solutions to America's illegal immigration problem?

To All: Right, here right now, regardless of you wins the nomination, are you committed to supporting the eventual nominee, and rule out either not supporting the candidate or running as a third party?

A Republican one will be held if all candidates are agreeable?

This Round will close on Tuesday at 11:59 pm.

President Giuliani would not participate.
Not a problem. Wanted to put it out there. I can still go ahead with a GOP forum with the other candidate, if you are all agreeable?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »

Also, NHI, you've constantly been misspelling Vilsack's name so far Tongue
I'm sorry. No harm meant, darn spell check!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

OOC: Edwards was leading in South Carolina; may we get a new poll of that primary?

South Carolina Poll: Democratic Primary (Sept. 2007)
Blanche Lincoln: 18%
Mary Landrieu: 15%
Hillary Clinton: 15%
Evan Bayh: 13%
Tom Vilsack: 9%
Howard Dean: 7%
John Kerry: 7%
Undecided: 16%

South Carolina Poll: Republican Primary (Sept. 2007)
Rudy Giuliani: 47%
Mark Sanford: 41%
Newt Gingrich: 4%
Ron Paul: 1%
Undecided: 7%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 11:13:57 PM »

Can we get now the schedule of the Democratic Presidential Primaries?

That really would be nice. Personally I'm in favor of breaking up Super Tuesday, as the 2008 IRL Super Tuesday is just too much to prep for here.
Maybe 2 Mini Tuesdays and 1 Super Tuesday.
I'm in favor of it. I'll get the polls up soon
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »

Republican Primary Debate:
University of Iowa
Hosted by Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer (CNN)

To all: What are the major differences between you and President Giuliani?

To Speaker Gingrich: Mr. Speaker, do you think America better off than it was four years ago?

To Governor Sanford: Governor Sanford, Control of Congress is on a knife's edge heading into 2008, how will you, if elected President work with a potentially divided government?

To Senator Paul: Senator, you've previously run as both a Republican and Libertarian. How do you define your political beliefs; are you a libertarian or a Republican?

To all: Are all of you committed to supporting the eventual winner of the Republican Primary, regardless of who he maybe?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies