FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:03:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 116013 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 23, 2014, 12:56:15 AM »

If we upset Germany will Belgium consider tanking its match with South Korea to have a chance of facing us? (An Algerian win and a Belgian loss has Belgium facing the group G winner, any other combination has them facing the Group G runner-up.)

Similarly, will the Netherlands and Chlie be playing to lose in Group B if by some miracle Mexico beats Croatia by enough to take the top spot in Group A away from Brazil? (The odds of Brazil losing to Cameroon, that while mathematically possible the chance of Brazil being knocked out of the Round of 16 on Monday is pure fancy.)

While it is possible that something else happens,Colombia and Costa Rica both look to be a locks for first place their groups so while they will likely rest their best players on Tuesday or even give some of their lesser players a start, I don't see them intentionally trying to lose.

With France looking to be a lock in Group E for first place, will Argentina make a major push to ensure they beat or draw Nigeria and thus ensure they won't face France in the Round of 16.

Or will teams be more interested in seeking an easier quarterfinal game, so that they would play to potentially face the more difficult opponent in the opposite group in the Round of 16?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »

Chile and the Netherlands play before Mexico and Croatia, so your point is moot.

I coulda sworn the schedule I looked at had Group A playing its games before Group B today, but I see you're right.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »

Portugal scores!  A 1-0 Portugal win suits us fine.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »

Portugal scores!  A 1-0 Portugal win suits us fine.

Actually Ghana scored an autogoal. Shame, I was hoping Ghana would win...

Whatever.  We certainly need that now that Germany just scored.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »

Yeah.  We still go thru if no more goals are scored.  If we score one that should be enough to see us thru, even if Germany scores again.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »

Question for those of you who follow football more regularly than I do.  When it's raining as it is in the Germany-US game, does that generally help the defense or the offense?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »

So does either of these teams have an English-like reputation for shootouts?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »

Belgium just got reminded the game isn't over yet.  They still have to play before they start relaxing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »

Haha, you could hear Klinsmann say "What the [Inks] is one minute!"

Yeah. I was expecting 2 minutes and possibly more the way Belgium was dragging things out, but I suspect FIFA wanted to avoid the possibility of another shootout.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

I wonder if they ever go "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" when they do it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »

Dutch in their fifth extratime in World Cup history. Every previous one has ended in their elimination.

Alright this game got pretty good at the end. Looks like the dreams of a Costa Rica - Germany final are still possible.
The dream, clearly, is either a Germany vs Netherlands or a Brazil vs Argentina final. I want to see blood.

What about the unlikely but inspiring possibility of Costa Rica beating Germany in the final?  (No way Costa Rica would beat Brazil in a final simply because of the home field advantage.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »

The last 9 1 World Cup shoot outs have been won by the team shooting first last.
ftfy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies