WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:49:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign  (Read 11838 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Holy sh**t, just listen to yourself. Putin is an elite, buddy.

-He is an Eisenhoweresque establishment figure. He turned against some of the elites (e.g., Berezovsky) in the early 00s. He is certainly not bought, like Romney was.

Yes, he dumped Yeltsin's band of oligarchs for his own. Roman Abramovitch (Chelsea's owner), Felix Sater, Mogilevich... by turning from what (legitimately) plagued Russia in the 1990s he's simply created a new host of problems and swapped one type of elite for another. Don't know that I'd call that being an Eisenhower figure, though I do sometimes suspect Putin is not an Orthodox fundamentalist and a lot of the religious stuff is for show
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »

Before anyone else gets too excited, it will be very difficult to PRoVE Sessions forgot or omitted testimony intentionally, which is why perjury is tough to convict on. That said, it doesn't look good
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »

-Call me a Romney opponent, really. I always liked Putin; my opinion of him hasn't changed in years. I wanted Obama to fail in implementing his economic policies, and that appeared to be happening as of 2012. I do not want rule by the elites. If it was successful here, I'd give it some credit (and it clearly deserves some in RU; that country's Very Unserious People are very unserious). But it deserves none. Thus I opposed Romney from the day he became the frontrunner. I like how Obama skewered him (rightly) on Russia.

You have always liked a foreign dictator who has people he doesn't like murdered? Please clarify this remark. It sounds unnervingly un-American. If you genuinely meant that you LIKE this, then I can't take anything you say seriously.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »

Before anyone else gets too excited, it will be very difficult to PRoVE Sessions forgot or omitted testimony intentionally, which is why perjury is tough to convict on. That said, it doesn't look good

^ This is what I meant in my earlier post if that wasn't clear.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »

lol.

The reps/msm attempt to create fake scandals from retinue, mundane things proves just how intellectually and morally bankrupt they are. For months the media has been pushing this lie, and for months they've been forced to admit, buried at the end of every 'story', that there isn't any evidence for these wild claims. Yet they put 'EMAILS, INVESTIGATION, CLINTON' in sensational headlines anyway. It's beyond absurd at this point. It's blatant propaganda.

Nice non-sequitur.

And Hillary certainly did set up a private server.
She certainly did bit bleach all of her emails the day after they were subpoenaed.

Both of these things were a violation of federal law. Guess what, she got away with it anyways because she's a Clinton. You support this.

"Whataboutism is a term describing a propaganda technique used by the Soviet Union in its dealings with the Western world during the Cold War. When criticisms were levelled at the Soviet Union, the response would be "What about..." followed by the naming of an event in the Western world.[1][2] It represents a case of tu quoque (appeal to hypocrisy),[3] a logical fallacy which attempts to discredit the opponent's position by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with that position, without directly refuting or disproving the opponent's initial argument."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »

If he cannot remember two one on one meeting with the Russian ambassador, then he is mentally deficient just like Pussygrabber. And like Pussygabber, he needs to be removed from office on grounds of gross incompetence.

What happens when the US Justice Dept attempts to bring perjury charges, and the defendants use this exact same defense?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »

lol.

The reps/msm attempt to create fake scandals from retinue, mundane things proves just how intellectually and morally bankrupt they are. For months the media has been pushing this lie, and for months they've been forced to admit, buried at the end of every 'story', that there isn't any evidence for these wild claims. Yet they put 'EMAILS, INVESTIGATION, CLINTON' in sensational headlines anyway. It's beyond absurd at this point. It's blatant propaganda.

Nice non-sequitur.

And Hillary certainly did set up a private server.
She certainly did bit bleach all of her emails the day after they were subpoenaed.

Both of these things were a violation of federal law. Guess what, she got away with it anyways because she's a Clinton. You support this.

"Whataboutism is a term describing a propaganda technique used by the Soviet Union in its dealings with the Western world during the Cold War. When criticisms were levelled at the Soviet Union, the response would be "What about..." followed by the naming of an event in the Western world.[1][2] It represents a case of tu quoque (appeal to hypocrisy),[3] a logical fallacy which attempts to discredit the opponent's position by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with that position, without directly refuting or disproving the opponent's initial argument."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Incidentally, "whataboutism" is the national pastime of Northern Ireland

If he cannot remember two one on one meeting with the Russian ambassador, then he is mentally deficient just like Pussygrabber. And like Pussygabber, he needs to be removed from office on grounds of gross incompetence.

What happens when the US Justice Dept attempts to bring perjury charges, and the defendants use this exact same defense?

People do use that defense, all the time. Usually unsuccessfully, but the burden of proof isn't on them in a common law system.

It's like Bob Ritter tells Jack Ryan in "Clear and Present Danger:" "Memorize this phrase: 'I do not recall, Senator.'"
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »

the vast pro-russia conspiracy inside the GOP gets more obvious each day.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »

As much as I do not like Sessions and don't think he should be AG (because of his overt racism and other issues), I don't think he's part of the Russian "conspiracy." I do believe he talked with the Russian ambassador as part of his job, which is why he didn't even think about it. It was just normal, every-day work talk.

He should, however, not be involved in any investigation on the Russian issue.

I mean, let's get these guys who do have Russian ties. It's a really big deal, and it most certainly involves Mr 45 himself. But let's not go overboard and paint everyone with the same brush, especially since that might make us look more like conspiracy theorists than anything else. There are plenty of other connections to Russia without harassing Sessions about doing his job.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »

the russian ambassador is btw thought of being one of russia's top spies and spy recruiters. Wink
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »

the russian ambassador is btw thought of being one of russia's top spies and spy recruiters. Wink

He also has to occasionally do his real job, though, too?
Trapsy

« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »

He also has to occasionally do his real job, though, too?

If you're on the armed service committee, you can lie about meeting with Russians ambassadors during a senate confirmation hearing.
EnglishPete

« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »

Lindsey Graham is now saying that Sessions must recuse himself

Lindsey Graham's boyfriend has a history of links with islamic extremist 'rebels' in Syria and elsewhere but now he's concerned because 'his dear friend' had cause to speak the Russian ambassador in his job in the Senate. STFU
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »

Btw, for those towing the, "It doesn't count because it was in his role as a Senator, and there's no reason to think they discussed the election" line, one of these meetings occurred at a Heritage Foundation event at the Republican National Convention!

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/321930-sessions-spoke-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-campaign

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »

Lindsey Graham is now saying that Sessions must recuse himself

Lindsey Graham's boyfriend has a history of links with islamic extremist 'rebels' in Syria and elsewhere but now he's concerned because 'his dear friend' had cause to speak the Russian ambassador in his job in the Senate. STFU
This should be considered a historic artifact to demonstrate the absurdness of Trump fans.
EnglishPete

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »

Btw, for those towing the, "It doesn't count because it was in his role as a Senator, and there's no reason to think they discussed the election" line, one of these meetings occurred at a Heritage Foundation event at the Republican National Convention!

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/321930-sessions-spoke-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-campaign

My God! the ambassador of a large country to a more powerful country asked to speak to a senior elected official of the country he was ambassador to? Surely such a thing never normally happens, why would it?
EnglishPete

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »

Hold your horses for the next shocking revelation. Sessions is wanting to sell out the US to India!

EnglishPete

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »

It would be helpful when you call something fake news for you to specifically state what part of the story you disagree with. Do you deny that he ever talked to the Russian ambassador, or that when they talked it was about something related to the election?
Jeff Bezos' blog has been churning out plenty of fake news stories to attack Trump over the past year and half. If you want to see a good example of how they work watch this video from time 8min 10seconds onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6K7iiV_zk
Fusionmunster

« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »

If Session's hadnt lied under oath this wouldn't be a problem.
yankeesfan
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2017, 10:34:58 AM by yankeesfan »

Hold your horses for the next shocking revelation. Sessions is wanting to sell out the US to India!

Get your head out of your ***.

1. No other member of the Senate Armed Services Committee met with Kislyak, just Sessions.
2. He lied to Congress about meeting with Kislyak.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »

Good God folks.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »

Session would've been confirmed even if he said "yes i met up with Russian Ambassador". this is amateur hour mistakes.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »

Session would've been confirmed even if he said "yes i met up with Russian Ambassador". this is amateur hour mistakes.

Now it looks like he lied.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »

Now it looks like he lied.

It doesn't *look* like he lied; he lied.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies