Could West Virginia be Trump's best state against Hillary? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:05:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Could West Virginia be Trump's best state against Hillary? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Could West Virginia be Trump's best state against Hillary?  (Read 4373 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: February 26, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

Well, WV is dumb and desperate so they seem to good bet to be top. 

That kid down in Florida, the one they called "Blaxican" for awhile (for reasons I know not), said he was supporting Trump cuz he just wants the whole thing blown up.  His family came from WV.  That seems like a typical mindset in WV these days.  If we're gonna go down, try to take the whole thing down.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »

I'm geographically pretty close, and I have a hard time seeing West Virginia as Trump's best state. I know he has to have a best state somewhere, but that's not it.

While rhetoric in Kentucky always bleets about coal in reality it's not anywhere as vital to the state's functioning as it is to WV.  Yes, there are about 20 counties in the East part of the state that are dying because of coal, but they don't make up much of the state's population.  The triangle from NKY to Louisville to Lexington is the core of the state population wise and economic wise and it has little to no involvement in coal.  The WKY coal counties while not thriving actually have about the same number of miners now as when Obama was elected.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 11:47:17 AM by The Unbearable Invicibility of Hillary Clinton »

I'm geographically pretty close, and I have a hard time seeing West Virginia as Trump's best state. I know he has to have a best state somewhere, but that's not it.

While rhetoric in Kentucky always bleets about coal in reality it's not anywhere as vital to the state's functioning as it is to WV.  Yes, there are about 20 counties in the East part of the state that are dying because of coal, but they don't make up much of the state's population.  The triangle from NKY to Louisville to Lexington is the core of the state population wise and economic wise and it has little to no involvement in coal.  The WKY coal counties while not thriving actually have about the same number of miners now as when Obama was elected.

You are also forgetting the western coal mine region in the state and there are some major cities in that area (Bowling Green, Owensboro, etc)

I didn't forget them, that's what my last sentence referred to.  In 2008, WKY averaged 3,357 miners.  In the 4Q of 2015 they had 3,324.  Actually produced more coal in 2015 than 2008 (darn technology).  By comparison EKY went from 14,381 miners in 2008 to 5,077 in 4Q of 2015.

BTW, Kentucky does a very impressive job of tracking everything about the coal industry

http://energy.ky.gov/Pages/CoalFacts.aspx

There is a big difference between coal counties listed on that map and counties that actually still produce coal.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »

Problem with Kentucky is that its remaining coal mines are nonunion. Kentucky has no remaining unionized coal mines. Zero. None.

While I'm not a right-to-worker, I don't see unionization being of much help, especially in the East.  They're just going after scraps out there.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »

It's still quite amazing how in just a couple of cycles West Virginia went from a Democratic stronghold into one of the GOP's best states.

It is, and one of a few places where I actually cheer their downfall. I'm still puzzled as to exactly what Democrats have done to improve that state, either at the state or federal level. They had chances and if they actually cared, it should have been one of the first things to be addressed in 2006 - 2010 in Congress.

However, not to say I think Republicans will be better. I think they'll ultimately be even worse given their unwavering commitment to (some) failed economic policies. Democrats need to kiss ass and earn their power back at this point.

Honestly, I'm puzzled as to what can be done to improve that state(except the East panhandle which is doing fine).  Many people ended up in geographically difficult locales chasing resources that are not played out and have been superseded by cheaper places to find coal and natural gas.  In 1950 it was the 3rd youngest state and now it's 3rd oldest (and not healthy wealthy old like Florida).  It has the highest disability rate of any state.  Highest drug overdose rate of any state.  It's roads, utilities, housing are all substandard and difficult to maintain thanks to the terrain and lack of funds.  The only positive is that fewer people live there.

Coal isn't coming back and until the populace can accept that there really isn't any chance of moving forward.  The recent Orion poll did ask if they thought coal would improve after Obama left office and by 44-43 they said no.  Once that is about 80-20 then WV might be able to start recreating itself, but even then they ain't go no money.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »

Appalachia's future is in solar and wind power.

While there would be some karmic justice if mountain top removal sites were converted to solar or wind, you'll probably have a problem convincing the local populace until all the coal jobs are gone. 

Rooftop solar would be difficult because most housing is located in narrow valleys with restricted sunlight.  Wind is possible along the ridges, but roads to such locations don't always exist and can be prohibitive to build.

Seriously though, the mountain top removal sites are probably the best locations for solar and wind by far.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies