Segregation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:48:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Segregation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Segregation  (Read 4749 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: April 16, 2004, 05:05:10 PM »

Not inevitable.  In some Latin American countries most people are a mix or blend.  I was looking on the CIA Worldfactbook at the Dominican Republic (yes I'm considering visiting) and it said it was 16% white, 15% black, and 69% mixed.  And they're awfully good looking..
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 07:23:10 AM »

I live among people who are 'racially' and culturally quite different from me, and yet I find them, on average, more compatible than the average American.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:00:37 AM »

In a free society (i.e., a society that recognizes individual freedom), the likelihood of segregation arising will tend to be lower. For most people, a desire for money outweighs bigotry. Segregation-based policies cost businesses money;

No they don't.  The dominant group has far more money than the oppressed minorities.  One's profits are enhanced by catering to their prejudices and banning the minority - who by definition are less numerous and due to power relationships less well heeled.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course they would!  They would prefer all sorts of things, involving a less demanding and more foolish customer.  But, alas for them, they must deal with what the customer wants, or lose him to their competitor.  So a lunch counter that serves blacks will lose all its white customers (the bulk of its business) to the one round the corner that continues to ban them.  The customer is always right, isn't he, Emsworth?

While most business persons are racists, you are right to note that the reason they exhibit bias towards their customers is not their personal hatreds so much as their desire for profit.

No.

This is certainly true - in fact it is through the excersize of State power on behalf of whites that they became the business owners in the first place, Emsworth.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies