Rubio's gaffe: how bad is it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:53:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rubio's gaffe: how bad is it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ??
Just a gaffe

Career-ending

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Rubio's gaffe: how bad is it?  (Read 2310 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:37:58 AM »
« edited: February 07, 2016, 12:52:25 AM by Lief 🐋 »

Is this just a run-of-the-mill gaffe? Something that will hurt him in the short-term but ultimately be forgotten (e.g. Obama saying "you're likable enough" to Clinton in one of their primary debates, causing him to lose NH).

Or is this a career-ending gaffe, that will brand him in the same way Dan Quayle, Howard Dean or Rick Perry?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 12:38:31 AM »

I don't think Rubio knew what he was doing.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:38:40 AM »

Let's dispel with this fiction that Marco Rubio didn't know what he was doing. He knew exactly what he was doing.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 12:39:13 AM »

Oh c'mon...career ending?

Is it dumb, yeah of course. He looks like a whitewashed politician who cant break out of his talking points. But its nothing more than that, he was going after a person all republicans HATE after all.

He wont win NH, may get 3rd or 4th and will lose the nomination to either Trump or Cruz.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:39:19 AM »

This was really bad.
Doesn't help that the clip will include Christie digging the knife in and twisting hard as only an east-coaster can.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:39:32 AM »

I'm sure Rubio can still find some people interested in the services he provides, so career-ending is a bit harsh in that respect. He may need to resort back to some of the lower class neighborhoods again though.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »

Let's dispel with this fiction that Marco Rubio didn't know what he was doing. He knew exactly what he was doing.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 12:41:16 AM »

Well,  this is pretty bad.

Between this and the water bottle drink...he has a very real and cemented "amateur" image going on.
trickmind
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 12:42:22 AM »

Probably ended his chances at the nomination.

Might not be "oops" level imo to the extent that I think he can still salvage a political career after this.

Perry was never able to recover from it because it reinforced the narrative that he was dumb as a bag of hammers. In Rubio's case it reinforced the idea that he's not ready to be President. The latter is more recoverable.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 12:43:16 AM »

Yeah, I have a hard time see him recover.

Well, looks like we have a horserace again. This primary season is gonna be fun!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 12:43:58 AM »

Maybe if this happened in the first three debates he'd be fine, but this is prime time, he was supposed to do really well and get a strong second or even first in New Hampshire. Instead, he flopped tremendously, and with how fluid New Hampshire is and how close the non-TRUMPs are, Rubio could easily sink to an embarrassing 6th place. If Rubio gets 6th place, or even 5th or 4th place in New Hampshire after all the media hype over his "impressive" 3rd place showing in Iowa, it's over.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 12:46:09 AM »

It's one thing for a politician to make a gaffe and move on, maybe get some media coverage. But when they keep getting called out on it and then keep repeating it afterwards verbatim...
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 12:49:20 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2016, 12:57:47 AM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

I'll dispense with the dank memery for a moment (although you can expect plenty in the coming days).

Gaffes are worst when they feed into a narrative. Dan Quayle's "potatoe" and Rick Perry's "oops" both cemented the idea that they were stupid. Sarah Palin's Couric interview fed the image that she was stupid and/or unqualified. When Bob Dole fell in 1996, he reminded us that he was extremely old in a way that you couldn't ignore. And George Allen's "macaca" gaffe reminded people of his supposed racism in a big way. This gaffe feeds hard into the narrative that Rubio is an empty suit, an amateur, and above all a lightweight.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 12:50:46 AM »

This was a Perry "Oops" level moment.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 12:52:06 AM »

I'll dispense with the dank me dry for a moment (although you can expect plenty in the coming days).

Gaffes are worst when they feed into a narrative. Dan Quayle's "potatoe" and Rick Perry's "oops" both cemented the idea that they were stupid. Sarah Palin's Couric interview fed the image that she was stupid and/or unqualified. When Bob Dole fell in 1996, he reminded us that he was extremely old in a way that you couldn't ignore. And George Allen's "macaca" gaffe reminded people of his supposed racism in a big way. This gaffe feeds hard into the narrative that Rubio is an empty suit, an amateur, and above all a lightweight.

It also makes an easily digestible, funny, 30 second clip that can be played over and over and over, like the infamous "Dean Scream".
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 12:52:28 AM »

I'll dispense with the dank me dry for a moment (although you can expect plenty in the coming days).

You kinda nailed it dude.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 12:54:13 AM »

You kinda nailed it dude.

Except for the part where this stupid phone autocorrected memery to me dry! Edited lol
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 01:15:30 AM »

Reminds you of Milli and Vanilli

Its as if the prerecorded tape skipped and exposed Rubio as a fake on national TV.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 01:19:34 AM »

Somewhere in between the two extremes you listed, Lief.  It will hurt him, but how much is yet to be seen.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:16 AM »

It also makes an easily digestible, funny, 30 second clip that can be played over and over and over, like the infamous "Dean Scream".
Not to mention, its funny.  Its hilarious.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 01:21:36 AM »

The right and left are going to hammer him on it. He's done.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »

I wouldn't say "career-ending", but it was pretty bad, not to mention the timing was awful. He had the momentum going into NH, and this will probably kill his momentum, if not cause him to slip in the polls.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 01:27:35 AM »

Much like Rick Perry it hurts him massively in that it's funny and easy to parody. Wait till you see what The Daily Show and Colbert do with it. And SNL next week.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 01:37:00 AM »

He will still be the nominee
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83