Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:46:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead  (Read 5506 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: October 01, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »

2. the mythological "good guy" (i.e. private citizen) with a gun was once again nowhere to be found.

Correct.  It was a gun-free campus.  No armed good guys.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »

2. the mythological "good guy" (i.e. private citizen) with a gun was once again nowhere to be found.

Correct.  It was a gun-free campus.  No armed good guys.

Incorrect. Where were the good guys with guns?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/10/breaking-mass-shooting-at-umpqua-college-in-oregon-10-dead-gunfree-zone/
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »

I can't imagine how many decimal places I'd need to calculate the percentage of college kids with concealed carry permits. Out of state residents can rarely get them and the in state resident students aren't going to go to classes and stand in a long line to get the anal exam necessary to get one.   And I have a cc permit, yet lots of places don't allow me to bring my gun in, even though I'm authorized to do so by law.  Or maybe I'm not authorized to ignore their policies since I'm not a cop.  Hmmmmmmmmm.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2015, 01:20:09 PM by Grumps »

I can't imagine how many decimal places I'd need to calculate the percentage of college kids with concealed carry permits. Out of state residents can rarely get them and the in state resident students aren't going to go to classes and stand in a long line to get the anal exam necessary to get one.   And I have a cc permit, yet lots of places don't allow me to bring my gun in, even though I'm authorized to do so by law.  Or maybe I'm not authorized to ignore their policies since I'm not a cop.  Hmmmmmmmmm.  

Hey Figgy......sometimes a good guy with a gun, authorized by law, still isn't wanted around.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/officer-says-restaurant-asked-him-132018713.html

I'll be avoiding Olive Garden for a while.  It's not safe there.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »

Hey Figgy......sometimes a good guy with a gun, authorized by law, still isn't wanted around.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/officer-says-restaurant-asked-him-132018713.html

I'll be avoiding Olive Garden for a while.  It's not safe there.
Did you even bother to look at that story, or was the headline enuf to fuel your outrage? It was a waitress who asked him to leave, and not a manager. Olive Garden's made it clear that officers with guns are supposed to be welcome there. That said, if the cop was in plain clothes and not uniform, I could understand what happened, tho even then, it shouldn't have gone beyond making certain he actually was a cop.

They need to educate their people better.  The good guys (plain clothes and uniformed) should never be chased away.  But back to my earlier point which you highlight in your last sentence, there is no law against bringing a gun into an Olive Garden, but if they weren't cops, they might also be asked to leave.......and the good guy with a gun, who hasn't violated any laws is gone.  Authorized /=/ allowed to be there with one.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »

So businesses should be forbidden from making policies on this point?

Of course not.  Just like a college policy which states - Gun Free Zone.  If you wanna make the policy, ok by me.  If you want to kick me out because I violate it - ok by me too.  But don't go looking for the good guy with the gun.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies