By what amount would Clinton have to win IA to make NH competitive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:38:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  By what amount would Clinton have to win IA to make NH competitive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: By what amount would Clinton have to win IA to make NH competitive?  (Read 1227 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:17:35 PM »

I imagine if she wins very narrowly, much of the news spin will be about how close Sanders made what was originally seen as an uncompetitive race, and it will effectively be seen as a win for Sanders. On the other hand, if it's not even close, the spin will be all about how Sanders was built up to be more of a challenger than he ever really was, giving Clinton some momentum. What would be the cutoff point between "clear Clinton victory" and "can't shake the Bern"?

I think a 10-point win would be fairly convincing.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »

More then 10. Anything within 5 for Clinton will not do it and if she loses she is really in trouble.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »

I think that even a less-than comfortable win would give her some momentum, but it woulud take a landslide to really put it in play. Like, 10 points, and that's generous.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »

I think that even a less-than comfortable win would give her some momentum, but it woulud take a landslide to really put it in play. Like, 10 points, and that's generous.

Wait... what? Have people already forgotten what happened in 2008? NH women will turn out in record-high numbers for Hillary. Sanders will be lucky to break 35% among women. NH is a "lean Clinton" state in the primary, regardless of what happens in IA. The women's vote in NH is as elastic as the Black vote in MS.

That was in 2008...there have been polls showing Bernie getting well over 35% among women. I suggest you start reading polls.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 07:40:43 PM »

Wait... what? Have people already forgotten what happened in 2008? NH women will turn out in record-high numbers for Hillary. Sanders will be lucky to break 35% among women. NH is a "lean Clinton" state in the primary, regardless of what happens in IA. The women's vote in NH is as elastic as the Black vote in MS.

That was in 2008...there have been polls showing Bernie getting well over 35% among women. I suggest you start reading polls.

I understand why you would think that, but I disagree. It's a different set of circumstances. This year, we have a two-way contest rather than a three-way between Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. Bernie also has a large base of support among young people that I think he will turn out, which could somewhat mitigate the gains among the elderly and women that led Clinton to victory that year.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »

I understand why you would think that, but I disagree. It's a different set of circumstances. This year, we have a two-way contest rather than a three-way between Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. Bernie also has a large base of support among young people that I think he will turn out, which could somewhat mitigate the gains among the elderly and women that led Clinton to victory that year.

How is that different from Obama? We saw how well young people helped him in '08.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »

How is that different from Obama? We saw how well young people helped him in '08.

I suppose. However, my point is that just because someone defied the polls one time eight years prior doesn't mean they will do it again.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »

What happens in Iowa won't make a difference. People in New Hampshire make up their own minds.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 07:58:10 PM »

What happens in Iowa won't make a difference. People in New Hampshire make up their own minds.
I suspect TNvolunteer will beg to differ.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »

I suspect TNvolunteer will beg to differ.

No, what I said is in line with what he says. Women in New Hampshire are a strong Democratic constituency.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 10:13:44 PM »

I don't think it matters.  New Hampshireites are independent thinkers who make up their own minds.  We can see from the 2008 Democratic and Republican Primaries that they don't put much stock in what Iowa does.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »

NH very much enjoys being contrarian. It's possible Hillary would actually have a better shot there if she lost IA.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »

I would agree with 10 points.  It's not going to happen in all likelihood.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 06:05:30 AM »

I hope by NH, she sweeps the first two Primaries. She needs all the time she can get to get ready for GE. She's gonna win Iowa by 7 and hopefully NH by 3.
defe07

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »

I think both states could flip for either Hillary or Bernie. I don't think the states will split.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »

Irrelevant.

Sanders is getting a comfortable victory in NH
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies