Mississippi Gay Marriage ban overturned by federal judge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:18:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi Gay Marriage ban overturned by federal judge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Gay Marriage ban overturned by federal judge  (Read 767 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: November 25, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »

Glorious news! Wouldn't surprise me if Georgia is #50, if only because it was (I think?) the last state to have a court case filed against the ban.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:04:42 AM »

Glorious news! Wouldn't surprise me if Georgia is #50, if only because it was (I think?) the last state to have a court case filed against the ban.
That would be Nebraska, not Georgia.

The fifth circuit will obviously issue a stay, and seeing as it is more conservative than the 6th circuit, it will likely rule in favor of traditional marriage for both this and the TX/LA cases.

Ah, OK.

I remember trying to pressure a friend of mine to file the first case for out-of-state recognition back in 2008, after the ordeal they went through. They were one of the lucky ones who managed to get married in CA before Prop 8, and got everything taken care of out there - SSN updates and name changes.

When they came back to GA, my friend went to the DMV to get a license update. He made the mistake of mentioning what had happened at the counter; the DMV immediately refused to update his license (despite the fact that as far as the federal government was concerned, his name had been changed). They even called all of the DMVs in this part of the state to effectively "warn" them about this, as when he went to another DMV, they told him they had already been told about him and not to do it. Bigoted stuff.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies