Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:57:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cory Booker and some other Dems BLOCK Drug Imports from Canada  (Read 5944 times)
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« on: January 13, 2017, 12:31:09 AM »

Why is Booker being singled out? I see a couple well liked dems here on this list

I find it surprising that you of all posters would ask this question.

You seem to think that Booker is the right pick for Dems in 2020 when he is the exact opposite of what Democrats need. It shouldn't be surprising that he'd be singled out for a questionable vote when practically every media outlet considers him a" frontrunner" for 2020. I've repeatedly said that Booker wouldn't survive a Democratic Primary because he's the epitome of a politician that is bought and paid for. The Sanders wing of the Democratic party will reject him out of hand just like they did with Hillary. He's a plastic neoliberal.

This was a popular amendment proposed by Bernie Sanders, of all people, and Booker lacked the guts to stand up to the pharmaceutical industry.  

Such a stupid move.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:47:34 AM »

Why is Booker being singled out? I see a couple well liked dems here on this list

I find it surprising that you of all posters would ask this question.

You seem to think that Booker is the right pick for Dems in 2020 when he is the exact opposite of what Democrats need. It shouldn't be surprising that he'd be singled out for a questionable vote when practically every media outlet considers him a" frontrunner" for 2020. I've repeatedly said that Booker wouldn't survive a Democratic Primary because he's the epitome of a politician that is bought and paid for. The Sanders wing of the Democratic party will reject him out of hand just like they did with Hillary. He's a plastic neoliberal.

This was a popular amendment proposed by Bernie Sanders, of all people, and Booker lacked the guts to stand up to the pharmaceutical industry.  

Such a stupid move.

Our state needs the Pharmaceutical industry.

Then stop price gauging the sick.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2017, 02:27:35 PM by Confused Democrat »

Even if that were true (and I highly doubt it is), putting your State's interests above those of all Americans is morally wrong in general, and a betrayal of your office as a U.S. Senator.

He's also acting as if other Democratic Senators from states with large pharmaceutical industries voted against the bill when that is simply not true.

MA has arguably the largest pharmaceutical industry in the country, and Elizabeth Warren didn't have trouble voting AYE on this amendment. This demonstrates to me that she has a backbone, and Booker doesn't.

Also, it's not as if Bookers reasoning for voting NAY on this amendment was "it would negatively impact my states large pharmaceutical industry and it's many workers." It was "I unequivocally support drug imports to lower cost but plan must include protections so foreign drugs meet safety standards."

What a BS statement from Booker. Bernie Sanders was absolutely right to call it out in his response:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Booker is sellout. Even Ted Cruz, of all people, voted AYE on this amendment! Am I living in bizzaro world?!
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:18:48 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2017, 01:23:24 AM by Confused Democrat »

Even if that were true (and I highly doubt it is), putting your State's interests above those of all Americans is morally wrong in general, and a betrayal of your office as a U.S. Senator.

He's also acting as if other Democratic Senators from states with large pharmaceutical industries voted against the bill when that is simply not true.

MA has arguably the largest pharmaceutical industry in the country, and Elizabeth Warren didn't have trouble voting AYE on this amendment. This demonstrates to me that she has a backbone, and Booker doesn't.

Also, it's not as if Bookers reasoning for voting NAY on this amendment was "it would negatively impact my states large pharmaceutical industry and it's many workers." It was "I unequivocally support drug imports to lower cost but plan must include protections so foreign drugs meet safety standards."

What a BS statement from Booker. Bernie Sanders was absolutely right to call it out in his response:

Booker is sellout. Even Ted Cruz, of all people, voted AYE on this amendment! Am I living in bizzaro world?!

Right, because politicians actual reasoning for doing something is never a good reason that would get them crushed electorally due to unpopularity.

And lol at people being so stupid as to not see a difference between biologically complex drugs that have have the exact right doses, can be easily sold as something else or even faked, etc. to food products.

I'm sure the guy who voted to lower drug safety standards (21st Century Cures Act) is super concerned about drug safety standards. Give me a break!

This amendment dealt with importing drugs from Canada. Canada isn't some third world country without drug safety standards. Canadian drug testing is just as strong as America's, and most Canadian drugs are produced in the same facilities as U.S. drugs.

Also, as another user pointed out:

Sander's and Klobuchar's amendment was only the first step towards paving the way for affordable prescription drugs. If Booker had voted AYE on the amendment, there would have been plenty of time to address any concerns he had about drug safety standards. In fact, Klobuchar has already co-sponsored a bill with McCain called the “Safe and Affordable Drugs From Canada Act“ that specifies how the process could work safely and efficiently.

Is there any other reason why Booker could have voted against this amendment? Hmmm I wonder....

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »

This issue can't be that simplistic. Whenever there's left-wing warpath outrage, there's usually an underlying issue that none of them understand.

What is the underlying issue that resulted in Booker's NAY vote?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies