FL-27: Ileana Ros-Lehtinen to retire from Congress (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:47:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-27: Ileana Ros-Lehtinen to retire from Congress (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL-27: Ileana Ros-Lehtinen to retire from Congress  (Read 15438 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« on: April 30, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
« edited: April 30, 2017, 05:19:54 PM by krazen1211 »

The Democrat will win this seat for now. But soon rick scott will make appointments to the fl supreme court and there will be wonderful gerrymandering.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2017, 05:50:34 PM by krazen1211 »

Rick Scott is term limited in 2018.    After 2018 there would only be the 2020 election before redistricting anyway,  I really doubt they would draw a new map for 1 election.

Scott has claimed that in the literal 1-2 minute window where before he leaves office & the scotus justices are officially forced to retire, he can fill the seats, which means he can make the entire bench red.

I think it goes against the spirit of the rules, but whatever. Expecting most politicians - especially ones like Scott (or, say, most NC Republicans), to not be greasy hacks is way beyond the scope of reasonable thought at this point.

Well, that would obviously lead to a lawsuit.  Let's see where that goes.  Would the existing justices refuse to swear the new ones in until after it was resolved?  

Also, if Dems can finally pick up FL-GOV next year, none of this will matter for redistricting anyway.

It's almost as if we have precedent....such as Democrat Lawton Chiles nominating 2 judges after his party lost the 1998 election!

Of course, Rick Scott is a great man and has been preparing for his moment. The nominating commission will put forward great candidates.

Nowadays, the nominating commission is mostly chosen by the governor. And Great Rick Scott has been slamming down lists full of good for nothing leftists. The groundwork has been laid.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »

The Democrat will win this seat for now. But soon rick scott will make appointments to the fl supremergency court and there will be wonderful gerrymandering.

Rick Scott is term limited in 2018.    After 2018 there would only be the 2020 election before redistricting anyway,  I really doubt they would draw a new map for 1 election.

Perhaps. The major issue is that Florida will be gaining 1-2 new Congressional districts in the 2020 census. So I suspect the legislature will create new Republican districts, fortify existing ones, and also dissolve some of the Democrat districts.

It's possible we could see a white VRA district in Palm Beach/Broward/Dade counties similar to the old district  held by E. Clay Shaw.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »

It's almost as if we have precedent....such as Democrat Lawton Chiles nominating 2 judges after his party lost the 1998 election!

Of course, Rick Scott is a great man and has been preparing for his moment. The nominating commission will put forward great candidates.

Nowadays, the nominating commission is mostly chosen by the governor. And Great Rick Scott has been slamming down lists full of good for nothing leftists. The groundwork has been laid.

Tell that to Obama.

I am confused. Is this referring to Mitch McConnell stealing a Supreme Court seat? There's precedent for that too, such as Andrew Johnson.

More to the point, the Florida Supreme Court has a quorum of 5 members. So a 4 member court cannot even hear your hypothetical lawsuit....I guess you could try your luck elsewhere but even the lower appeals courts are full of Scott appointments from the Federalist Society?

Rick Scott has been playing amazing 3d Chess to be sure. Maybe a Democrat could actually win an election in Florida (lol?), but legislative maps cannot be vetoed and congressional maps can be overridden.

I suspect in that unlikely scenario one or two Democrat legislators will be offered financial considerations or perhaps a Congressional seat for their support of a veto override. Quite similar to how Jay Nixon's veto of Congressional redistricting was overridden by the Missouri legislature in 2011.

A Smart 3d Chess play leaves himself many moves to enact gerrymandering.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »

Great poll on this race.

Link

In a potential general election against Miami Democratic state Sen. José Javier Rodríguez, Lopez-Cantera would lead by 41-34 percent, the poll found. The error margin was plus-or-minus 3.5 percentage points.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies