Atlas Forum LGBT Census 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:54:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Forum LGBT Census 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which statement describes you better?
I am heterosexual and cisgender

The preceding statement does not accurately describe my gender identity and/or my sexual orientation

Uncertain/Undecided/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 140

Author Topic: Atlas Forum LGBT Census 2014  (Read 7978 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: September 13, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »

There's selection bias and then there's a near 50-50 ratio. Yikes.

Well, when I saw the thread title, I assumed the thread would contain questions for LGBT posters, not a question for all posters asking whether they are LGBT or not. So I suspect many non-LGBT posters didn't even click.

I believe other polls have shown a near 50% LGBT ratio though. I would have expected a place like this to be at least 90% male, so that part of forum demographics never surprised me - but the gay thing is difficult to understand. Why would LGBTs be more interested in electoral maps than straights? Tongue

The fact that our civil rights are currently a political issue and hot topic would make me expect LGBT people to be more politically oriented overall, though certainly not by the margin shown in this poll. I guess there's also the fact that people tend to me more honest about their orientation online when behind the veil of anonymity.

I have two hypotheses.

One: Fewer gay people are interested in sports.  Politics fills the same spot in the male brain as sports, it's competitive in exactly the same way.

Two:  Maybe this is just me, but I felt like being into news, politics, reading the New York Times, etc when I was a teenage Howard Dean supporter in high school, in real America, that sort of made you  a "fag."  As a gay kid, I think you sort of say to yourself, "well, I'm gay anyway, so I'm just going to be myself, work on the school newspaper and hang out with my weird friends.  There's no use pretending I'm a football dude, or a skateboard dude or a generic dumbass who likes drinking Busch lite in a garage, or whatever would be cooler than a political nerd.  I think that partly why gay men are over-represented in a lot of careers like advertising, fashion, law, journalism, academia and media.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »

The issue isn't open vs. closeted tendencies unless you think literally half of everyone is gay on the inside

Right.  Either gay people are more likely to be interested in election maps or election maps make you gay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies