If He Wins (Trump interview in Time)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:46:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If He Wins (Trump interview in Time)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If He Wins (Trump interview in Time)  (Read 625 times)
Electric Circus
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2024, 03:02:15 PM »

https://time.com/6972021/donald-trump-2024-election-interview/

https://time.com/6972022/donald-trump-transcript-2024-election/

A little surprised not to see discussion of this. Time isn't the most relevant publication as of 2024, but Trump doesn't grant much access outside of his media sphere, so it's interesting to get not just an article based on a long interview but also a transcript.

Politico reamed Joe Biden for suggesting that the media focus more on what's at stake in this election, and I think this interviewer does that as well as anyone who's been given direct access to the Republican nominee.

A few highlights. On immigration:

We will be using local law enforcement. And we will absolutely start with the criminals that are coming in. [...] When we talk military, generally speaking, I talk National Guard. I've used the National Guard in Minneapolis. And if I didn't use it, I don't think you'd have Minneapolis standing right now, because it was really bad. But I think in terms of the National Guard. But if I thought things were getting out of control, I would have no problem using the military, per se.

On policing:

There are far more problems with what's happened now, where police are standing outside of a department store as it’s being robbed and 500 mostly young people are walking out carrying air conditioners and televisions and everything else. And the police would like to do something about it. But they're told to stand down. They said don't do it. And if you do anything about it, if you stop crime, we're going to go after your pension, your home, your family, your wife or your husband. And you know, police are being prosecuted all the time. And we want to give them immunity from prosecution if they're doing their job.

On Netanyahu:

I had a bad experience with Bibi. And it had to do with Soleimani, because as you probably know by now, he dropped out just before the attack. And I said, “What's that all about?” Because that was going to be a joint and all of a sudden, we were told that Israel was not doing it. And I was not happy about that. That was something I never forgot. And it showed me something. I would say that what happened on—the October 7 should have never happened. [...]

It happened on his watch. And I think it's had a profound impact on him, despite everything. Because people said  that shouldn't have happened. They have the most sophisticated equipment. They had—everything was there to stop that. [...] And I will say this, Bibi Netanyahu rightfully has been criticized for what took place on October 7.

[...]

Most people thought it was going to be a two-state solution. I'm not sure a two-state solution anymore is gonna work.

There's a lot more there, on topics including federal abortion restrictions, the president's power to fire US attorneys, January 6th, NATO, and the Cabinet ("Biden’s a very different kind of a guy than me. He keeps bad people.")
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 03:03:12 PM »

Not surprising there was a flat out lie in just the first bit: I know that Trump never used the National Guard in Minneapolis, Walz did.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 04:23:08 PM »

Not surprising there was a flat out lie in just the first bit: I know that Trump never used the National Guard in Minneapolis, Walz did.

Notice he didn't mention one significant event where he didn't call in the national guard.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 04:25:32 PM »

And yet young voters are going to burn this country (and planet) to the ground all for the sake of virtue signaling over Gaza. Unbelievable.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 06:07:02 PM »

Notice he didn't mention one significant event where he didn't call in the national guard.

He actually does, but under the apparent belief that the buck stops not with the President, but with Nancy Pelosi.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 06:33:34 PM »

Trump telling us exactly how insane a second term would be. He's openly saying it. People really need to wake up.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 07:53:25 AM »

Voting for Kennedy but Trump is a lock at #2 for me. Abortion surveillance a much needed crackdown.
Duke of York

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 08:54:35 AM »

Trump telling us exactly how insane a second term would be. He's openly saying it. People really need to wake up.

and young voters seemingly don't care. they'd rather destroy this country over Gaza.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 09:05:41 AM »

Voting for Kennedy but Trump is a lock at #2 for me. Abortion surveillance a much needed crackdown.

Wow Smiley Quite the take you have there.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 09:06:36 AM »

and young voters seemingly don't care. they'd rather destroy this country over Gaza.

Don't worry, Trump will take care of Gaza when he's back in office
Duke of York

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 09:08:33 AM »

Imagine their shock when Trump does nothing different towards Israel. I hope it will have been worth it.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 09:18:18 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2024, 09:21:19 AM by Red Velvet »

What he says about his protectionist economic platform is something that confirms what I always suspected, I would likely be a Trump voter in USA.

Probably not an unconditional one, as there’s tons of differences on what we believe, mainly on some social and democratic issues - but Trump’s economic nationalism is 100% correct over Democrats staunch neoliberalism.

Trump openly says in the interview that he looks up to BRICS countries tariff policies - mentioning China; Brazil; India and France (the more protectionist European country) as examples for what he wants to do in USA.

Are you comfortable with additional inflation?

Trump: No, I've seen. I've seen—I don't believe it'll be inflation. I think it'll be lack of loss for our country. Because what will happen and what other countries do very successfully, China being a leader of it. India is very difficult to deal with. India—I get along great with Modi, but they're very difficult to deal with on trade. France is frankly very difficult on trade. Brazil is very difficult on trade. What they do is they charge you so much to go in. They say, we don't want you to send cars into Brazil or we don't want you to send cars into China or India. But if you want to build a plant inside of our country, that's okay and employ our people. And that's basically what I'm doing. And that’s—I was doing and I was doing it strongly, but it was ready to really start and then we got hit with COVID. We had to fix that problem. And we ended up handing over a higher stock market substantially than when COVID first came in. But if you look at the first few years of what we did, the numbers we had were breathtaking.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 09:19:45 AM »

You know maybe if Biden wasn't running such a god awful campaign, he wouldn't be in this position? But no, blame everyone but the president. The NYT, students...all out to get the poor, poor president.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 09:22:29 AM »

If he could just find it on the map.
Duke of York

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 09:26:59 AM »

You know maybe if Biden wasn't running such a god awful campaign, he wouldn't be in this position? But no, blame everyone but the president. The NYT, students...all out to get the poor, poor president.

or maybe these students could you know vote and think about the bigger picture instead of a conflict on the other side of the world?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2024, 09:35:44 AM »

or maybe these students could you know vote and think about the bigger picture instead of a conflict on the other side of the world?

Quite frankly, they're allowed to hate Biden, even if they vote for him. It's the age-old...well, actually more recent problem of people seeing their vote as if they have to assume responsibility for literally everything a candidate has done, which is just so weird to me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2024, 02:32:16 PM »

If Trump win 26 will be a landslide for Ds, but it's not likely to happen

Why will it be a landslide because he will against public opinion free the insurrection but it's not LIKELY

Marist has it Biden 3
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2024, 04:33:18 PM »

What he says about his protectionist economic platform is something that confirms what I always suspected, I would likely be a Trump voter in USA.

Probably not an unconditional one, as there’s tons of differences on what we believe, mainly on some social and democratic issues - but Trump’s economic nationalism is 100% correct over Democrats staunch neoliberalism.

Trump openly says in the interview that he looks up to BRICS countries tariff policies - mentioning China; Brazil; India and France (the more protectionist European country) as examples for what he wants to do in USA.

Trump: No, I've seen. I've seen—I don't believe it'll be inflation. I think it'll be lack of loss for our country. Because what will happen and what other countries do very successfully, China being a leader of it. India is very difficult to deal with. India—I get along great with Modi, but they're very difficult to deal with on trade. France is frankly very difficult on trade. Brazil is very difficult on trade. What they do is they charge you so much to go in. They say, we don't want you to send cars into Brazil or we don't want you to send cars into China or India. But if you want to build a plant inside of our country, that's okay and employ our people. And that's basically what I'm doing. And that’s—I was doing and I was doing it strongly, but it was ready to really start and then we got hit with COVID. We had to fix that problem. And we ended up handing over a higher stock market substantially than when COVID first came in. But if you look at the first few years of what we did, the numbers we had were breathtaking.
I mean you’re both fascist who simp for Putin so why is it you’re just now realizing it
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2024, 07:47:12 PM »

I mean you’re both fascist who simp for Putin so why is it you’re just now realizing it

You speak nonsense as always. I would never make domestic electoral decisions based on foreign conflicts and even if I did, there’s little affinity on Ukraine between me and Trump as he’s more Pro-Ukrainian and I am fully neutral.

The economic policy of Trump regarding trade however is much closer to the one from Bernie Sanders (whom I preferentially support) than the policy of average Democratic Party and it’s that what I tend to value more when making a decision.
TheHegemonist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2024, 08:43:46 PM »

What is he talking about with the police?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2024, 08:45:43 PM »

What is he talking about with the police?

He doesn't even know. He just babbles and if something gets received how he hoped he repeats it ad nauseum.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies