Would you support the CD method if all states used it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:52:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Would you support the CD method if all states used it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would you support the CD method if all states used it?  (Read 8203 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: October 18, 2007, 09:39:38 PM »

Parliamentary now!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:42:26 PM »

I like the allocation by congressional districts. 
It would mean that in addition to the 10 or 12 swing states each election, we would add 30 or 40 swing districts.  Hence campaigning would be more varied.  Moreover, as a strong supporter of the Federalist Constitution, continuing to spread power between states and people is much preferable to a single popular vote campaign that would focus disproportionally on urban areas.

I find the whole idea of "States' rights" abhorrent (and not at all because it is strongly associated with racism, though there's that, too). States exist for the purpose of providing localized governance because the federal government cannot account for all local factors when considering national laws. However, the idea of states as independent political entities is absurd; it suggests that we are dividing ourselves into mini-countries all squabbling with each other over pieces of pie.

Moreover, current state boundaries are so hopelessly arbitrary, only occasionally following geographic boundaries and never following human cultural boundaries, that  the very concept of the state as exists in American government is defunct. If we are to even continue with effective federalized government, we need to abolish the current states and draw new ones.

And I am back to my litany of, "I will not support any plan to reform the method of electing the President if it does not involve abolishing the Electoral College and/or the institution of IRV."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies