The Public Sector Strike Curtailment Act (Voting on Amendment) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 08:12:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Public Sector Strike Curtailment Act (Voting on Amendment) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Public Sector Strike Curtailment Act (Voting on Amendment)  (Read 5868 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: September 07, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »

Aye. I fail to see how hiring replacement workers abridges the right to collectively bargain.

Also, scabbing is banned? What happens if the striking employees and can't come to an agreement with management?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:54:27 PM »

As for the bill in general, I strongly dislike public-sector strikes as I view their participants as taking advantage of the fact that they're generally employed by government monopolies to extort taxpayers who are forced to rely on said monopolies for vital services. That said, I'm not sure what this bill is meant to accomplish. What's the point in reducing the pay of striking workers? Surely if the strike is successful, it will end with a net increase in pay? Also, increasing the pay of non-strikers strikes me (no pun intended) as somewhat self-defeating. Public-sector strikes aren't bad because they're strikes, they're bad because they involve the monopolistic extortion of taxpayers for the benefit of the strikers. My point is, it makes little sense to increase the pay of public-sector workers in an attempt to curtail strikes when the purpose behind the curtailment of said strikes would be to prevent public-sector workers from imposing excessive costs upon taxpayers.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

Nay. I'm opposed to any government interference in private labor contracts. I thought the purpose of this was to deal with public-sector strikes; why is the bill now aiming to establish a Federal labor board to regulate private industry?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »

We appear to be in a systematic process of watering down, watering down, watering down. I think this talk of public workers striking and demolishing the bank, so to speak, is just fluff, but I'll do a little research. Like I said earlier, I know a little bit about that process, and no one ever goes in with unreasonable demands. I was on a committee that logged hours on top of hours culling data, putting together charts, and everything asked for was reasonable and supportable.

This is on pace to be vetoed or pared way, way back in a rewrite.

The conditions described in section 1 are odd or already existent. What is the meaning of 1B?
I don't see the connection between your committee membership and public-sector unions.

The problem with public-sector unions is that they're often employed by government monopolies, and based on my understanding of the current situation it's currently completely illegal to replace striking workers under any situation, no matter what their demands are. Your really think that's going to create an environment where unions limit themselves to "reasonable" demands?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »

Nay
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »

Nay