Which Senators should go as soon as possible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:26:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which Senators should go as soon as possible?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which Senators should go as soon as possible?  (Read 4683 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 06:11:49 PM »

It's amazing that almost everyone named one of my wonderful senators

He's still better than Chris Christie
Tongue  Of course.  BTW, you know Chris Christie is not running right?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 07:07:23 PM »

Coburn
Inhofe
DeMint
Chambliss
Bunning
Stevens
Byrd
Cornyn
Sessions
Conan
conan

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »

Too bad for those who listed Menendez. My opinions aside, he was the number 3 dem in the House and will most likely rise in the ranks of the Senate, being a top contender to lead the DSCC in the next cycle and a cable news fixture.
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »

The first 31 on this list needs to go.  That is every member of the Senate who was elected 1990 and prior.  I picked 1990 because they were elected before those who can vote for the first time this year were born.

Think about it.  That's almost 1/3 of the membership.  Imagine the shakeup a lot of new blood would bring.  A great argument for Congressional term limits as long as they're retroactive. 

As for those who remain, the only one I'd really like to see go is Saxby Chambliss of GA.  His treatment of Max Cleland in the 2002 race still repulses me.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »

It's amazing that almost everyone named one of my wonderful senators

He's still better than Chris Christie
Tongue  Of course.  BTW, you know Chris Christie is not running right?

I do. I meant that Christie seems to be the guy Garden State Republicans think will end their dry spell. I just don't see it happening, unless Corzine screws up really bad. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »

Inhofe, Coburn, and Wicker
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 01:53:46 AM »

Bayh, both Nelsons, Tim Johnson, Pryor, Lincoln, Byrd, Rockefeller, Baucus, Tester, Conrad, & Dorgan. Oh yeah, & Stevens. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 08:04:39 AM »

Most of them, frankly.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 02:49:21 AM »

Bayh, both Nelsons, Tim Johnson, Pryor, Lincoln, Byrd, Rockefeller, Baucus, Tester, Conrad, & Dorgan. Oh yeah, & Stevens. Tongue

Gah, why is everyone forgetting about Reid?  You know, Harry Reid?  The one that is a senior senator from Nevada?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 03:04:11 AM »

Gah, why is everyone forgetting about Reid?  You know, Harry Reid?  The one that is a senior senator from Nevada?

If he retires, the open seat isn't a surefire pickup. These guys' seats would be close to it though (>60% chance to be sure). Tongue He should go though.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 07:21:33 AM »

I  gotta say, I really wanna get rid of both of my senators, they're too old and liberal for me.  Even though they are major FFs.  I want to put our Lt. Governor and Chris Van Hollen in there instead.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 08:07:19 AM »

I  gotta say, I really wanna get rid of both of my senators, they're too old and liberal for me.  Even though they are major FFs.  I want to put our Fmr.Lt. Governor and Chris Van Hollen and Bob Ehrlich in there instead.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »

I  gotta say, I really wanna get rid of both of my senators, they're too old and liberal for me.  Even though they are major FFs.  I want to put our Fmr.Lt. Governor and Chris Van Hollen and Bob Ehrlich in there instead.

I would'nt mind Bob Ehrlich at all, I actually like him alot.  Michael Steele is a token piece of trash.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »

I would'nt mind Bob Ehrlich at all, I actually like him alot.  Michael Steele is a token piece of trash.
Says the person supporting Barack Obama Tongue
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 08:21:31 AM »

Says the person supporting Barack Obama Tongue

The difference is Obama is getting support for more than being black.  Do you think a Fmr. Lt. Governor, who is not currently running for Governor or Senator, would even get the mildest consideration if he was white?  No he would not.  Obama is an excellent speaker and policy maker which is why I support him this year.  In 2004 he was given the keynote because he was an up and coming star running for the U.S. Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 08:24:17 AM »

The difference is Obama is getting support for more than being black.  Do you think a Fmr. Lt. Governor, who is not currently running for Governor or Senator, would even get the mildest consideration if he was white?  No he would not.  Obama is an excellent speaker and policy maker which is why I support him this year.  In 2004 he was given the keynote because he was an up and coming star running for the U.S. Senate.
Steele would possibly be considered for president in 2012 or 2016 if he was in the senate.  The only problem is, instead of running in a state incredibly friendly to him against no opposition, he drew a tough opponent, in a tough state, in a tough year and still performed well.  Plus, Michael Steele's attempts to garner votes for being black were quite humorous
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 08:30:32 AM »

Steele would possibly be considered for president in 2012 or 2016 if he was in the senate.  The only problem is, instead of running in a state incredibly friendly to him against no opposition, he drew a tough opponent, in a tough state, in a tough year and still performed well.  Plus, Michael Steele's attempts to garner votes for being black were quite humorous

I especially loved this:

Oreo cookie incident
After a September 26, 2002 gubernatorial debate, which had occurred without reported incident, Paul Schurick, Ehrlich's communications manager, claimed that the Townsend campaign handed out Oreo cookies to the audience.[13] Five days after the debate, Steele said that one or more Oreo cookies had rolled to his feet during the debate suggesting a racist statement against him. "Maybe it was just someone having their snack, but it was there," Steele said. "If it happened, shame on them if they are that immature and that threatened by me." At the time of the debate, Schurick had not mentioned any such incident, but in November 2005 he claimed "It was raining Oreos... They were thick in the air like locusts. I was there. It was very real. It wasn't subtle."[14] In a November 2005 Hannity and Colmes appearance, Steele agreed with Hannity that cookies were thrown at him.[15] Neil Duke of the Baltimore NAACP, who moderated the debate, praised the "passionate audience" and noted their "derisive behavior"[13] but did not see such behavior. "Were there some goofballs sitting in [the] right-hand corner section tossing cookies amongst themselves and acting like sophomores, as the legend has it?" Duke said. "I have no reason to doubt those sources; I just didn't see it."[14][16][17] The operations manager of the building where the debate was held, interviewed three years after the event by the Baltimore Sun, disputed Steele's claim and said "I was in on the cleanup, and we found no cookies or anything else abnormal. There were no Oreo cookies thrown."[14] Some eyewitnesses including AP reporter Tom Stuckey who was at the event have said cookies were handed out.[18][19][20] Other eyewitnesses could not corroborate Steele and Schurick's claim.[
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »

I especially loved this:

Oreo cookie incident

Say no more. We all loved it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »

And don't forget "Steele Democrat" or the stem cell = the Holocaust, and claiming MLK was a Repub
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »

And don't forget "Steele Democrat" or the stem cell = the Holocaust, and claiming MLK was a Repub

Those are why I think hes trash.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »

I would mind if we replaced all 100 of them. Unfortunately, most of the replacements will be just as bad.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »

Well, we elected them, so what does that say about us. Smiley

And has been noted elsewhere, would the replacements be better? Politics does tend to attract those types of fellows.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »

And has been noted elsewhere, would the replacements be better?

Generally speaking, no. Because as you rightly said;

You must be logged in to read this quote.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2008, 08:35:24 AM »

Whoever is in leadership roles for both parties.

Democrats - well...I'll just list who should stay
Joe Lieberman
Bill Nelson
Ben Nelson
Jon Tester
Jim Webb
Mary Landreiu
Tom Carper
Mark Pryor
Ken Salazar
Max Baucus

Republicans that need to go
Ted Stevens
Larry Craig
Mitch McConnell
Elizabeth Dole
Arlen Spector
Jim Inhofe
Jim Bunning
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2008, 11:14:10 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2008, 11:16:13 AM by ICE HOCKEY »

DEM:

Byrd
Lautenberg

Not to be defeated by a Republican of course, but time's up guys!

IND:

Lieberman

Independent?Huh Really Joe?

REP:

Specter

Not so much because of ideology.  See above.  He had a good run and did a lot for PA.

Sunnunu

VERY out of touch for NH.

Coleman

Snide, hypocritical, power hungry jerkoff.  Surprised MN is probably re-electing him.

Dole

Is she really representing NC? 

Inhofe
Coburn
DeMint
Brownback
Bunning (Phillies pitcher.. great.. shouldn't be in the Senate)

Ideologically out there to the point of near facism.

Chambliss

See the 5 above, but add what he did to Max Cleland.

Vitter
Craig

Pot meet kettle.  Practice what thy preach.

Stevens

Too old, too corrupt.  Time's up.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies