Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:56:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 147367 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: August 07, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »

I'm struggling to think if there's ever been anything more cringeworthy than the pro-union side rolling out rafts of D-list celebrities to say "please stay we love you". It might be the most nauseating thing I've ever seen.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »

From a disinterested perspective (and purely in terms of how ill the two methods make my feel) I prefer some good old fashioned fearmongering to "we love you Scotland! Britain!!!!" pleading.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »

Even with the gap narrowing that graphic implies to me there's not enough time left thankfully. And this is probably the sort of thing where all last minute people who make up their minds will go with "No". I'm feeling pretty pleasantly confident about this now.

Why do you want Scotland to vote No?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »

Imagine I'm posting a billion Ron Paul gifs here. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »

Yeah, this is actually insulting now. I hope there is massive backlash.

Oh come on, there's three lines about it expressing a not that unreasonable viewpoint. Over the next couple of days, its likely that this news will briefly overshadow the current furore over the referendum (and possibly give 'no' a small breathing space).

...I'm saying that the decision to announce by the Royal Family is shameful because we know the motive behind the timing. You know the timing of this stuff is so thoroughly planned and it's no coincidence that it comes just over a week before the vote.

Yes, this. Laughable really.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »

Twitter rumours that some polling stations are closing early due to 100% turnout. Yikes.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »

Twitter rumours that some polling stations are closing early due to 100% turnout. Yikes.

This is not unusual in these polarizing elections, especially in rural areas where voting is still seen as a civic duty.

Some precincts might actually have more than 100% turnout, if all the regular people in small-town-precincts vote, plus some tourists from other parts of Scotland who decide to drop off their absentee ballots in these precincts.

That's at least what happens here in elections in a few Spa-towns.

Yeah, I'd imagine they're not literally closing as such because, as you say, people might want to drop off postal votes.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2014, 12:15:22 PM by oakvale »

Rasmussen poll of 1000 Americans:

Do you favor or oppose Scotland becoming an independent nation rather than a part of Great Britain?

30% YES
19% No
51% Undecided

Plus:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link

As I've said the thing I find perplexing about that vastly over-represented 19% on this forum is that I can understand an American supporting Scottish independence for romantic reasons. That makes sense to me. How does an American unionist happen? Some nonsense about Keeping Our Ally Strong!!1 ?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »

Nope:

"Despite some rumours on Twitter, Severin Carrell has confirmed with Falkirk council that it is “simply not true” polling stations closed early because 100% of their local voters turned up.

All polling stations will be open until 10pm BST. You’ve still got plenty of time if you haven’t yet voted."

Yes indeed, which is why I posted a few minutes later to that effect.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »

Voted. Had to wait in a line. Never had to do that in the past twelve years.

And how did you vote- I'm guessing yes?

As I recall afleitch was planning to vote No after being swayed by BRTD's arguments.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies