When will Tennessee become competitive? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:26:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will Tennessee become competitive? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will Tennessee become competitive?  (Read 8572 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: February 01, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

Tennessee is one of the leading centers of industry in the US, so assuming that those centers of industry (in say, the automobile industry in the East) got organized, politics there could look very different. Of course, the decline of the UAW into what is essentially a company union, plus four decades of an assault on labor by the GOP (with the Democrats looking the other way) make the possibility of Tennessee shifting course very remote indeed.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »

Probably never, the TN Gop party is moderate.

They're certainly not moderate. Anyone remember when they interfered with that union election?

For liberals, a "moderate" Republican is anyone that isn't vociferously against identity politics. All the other policies they subscribe to are a-okay.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »

Probably never, the TN Gop party is moderate.

They're certainly not moderate. Anyone remember when they interfered with that union election?

For liberals, a "moderate" Republican is anyone that isn't vociferously against identity politics. All the other policies they subscribe to are a-okay.

Not trolling, I'm genuinely curious (I'm very impressed with your knowledge level and think I'd enjoy reading your thoughts): do you consider any current, elected Republicans to be moderates?  And if not, when do you think the GOP last had legitimate moderates (and why, of course)?

I would say your best bet in finding one would be to either look in New England, some industrial areas of the Midwest, or in major metropolitan centers. I'm not going by the conventional liberal definition of 'A Republican that doesn't hate gays is a moderate', but rather more of a 'Republican who is willing to compromise with organized labor or will vote for minimum wage increases' is what I'd say would define what a 'moderate' Republican might look more like.

There were more Republicans like that from the period of the foundation of the GOP until the 1980s, but the parties have become much more homogenous since then. I would wager that there are more than a few Republican voters, however, that are much more inclined toward a populist kind of outlook than they might otherwise suggest. I know a lot of working class Republicans though, so that might prejudice my view in that respect.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies