what about 10? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:49:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  what about 10? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what about 10?  (Read 1659 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »

If you want to sound like a native, you need to change all the verb tenses. It should be "One day the students were having a painting lesson. Everyone began to draw a picture...

I noticed the same thing. This is something I've noticed with my Chinese colleagues; their English tends to avoid the past tense saying "I draw the cat" instead of "I drew the cat". The first phrase would only apply during the act of drawing before its completion.

The story is one I've read in English before, and it seems like this version has been translated from Chinese into English by a Chinese speaker. As for the question, I would write the sentence with 10 as "When I gave it to you, the cat ran away."
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »

If you want to sound like a native, you need to change all the verb tenses. It should be "One day the students were having a painting lesson. Everyone began to draw a picture...

I noticed the same thing. This is something I've noticed with my Chinese colleagues; their English tends to avoid the past tense saying "I draw the cat" instead of "I drew the cat". The first phrase would only apply during the act of drawing before its completion.

The story is one I've read in English before, and it seems like this version has been translated from Chinese into English by a Chinese speaker. As for the question, I would write the sentence with 10 as "When I gave it to you, the cat ran away."

I would assume this is a lesson for a lower-level class where they haven't learned conjugation for anything besides the present tense, so the language in the passage is simplified so students aren't faced with too much that they haven't learned yet. I've seen similar things in foreign language classes I've taken.

That's possible, but not consistent with my experience. Use of simple present tense instead of past, is something that I hear most frequently with native Chinese speakers. I don't hear that type of change much with native speakers of other European languages, even if their English is weak. I've assumed that it's something intrinsic to the structure of Chinese.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies