Turmoil in Post-Revolution Egypt (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:26:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turmoil in Post-Revolution Egypt (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turmoil in Post-Revolution Egypt  (Read 3195 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 22, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
« edited: December 08, 2012, 11:06:58 PM by Frodo »

An unfortunate development -brings to mind the phrase: the more things change, the more they stay the same...

Egypt's Morsi grants himself far-reaching powers

By HAMZA HENDAWI
Associated Press

Egypt's Islamist president unilaterally decreed greater authorities for himself Thursday and effectively neutralized a judicial system that had emerged as a key opponent by declaring that the courts are barred from challenging his decisions.

Riding high on U.S. and international praise for mediating a Gaza cease-fire, Mohammed Morsi put himself above oversight and gave protection to the Islamist-led assembly writing a new constitution from a looming threat of dissolution by court order.

But the move is likely to fuel growing public anger that he and his Muslim Brotherhood are seizing too much power.

In what was interpreted by rights activists as a de facto declaration of emergency law, one of Morsi's decrees gave him the power to take "due measures and steps" to deal with any "threat" to the revolution, national unity and safety or anything that obstructs the work of state institutions.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »

Describing Mohammed Morsi as "pharaonic" is pretty hilarious, considering every fact about him.

Unless the title of the thread is instead implying that modern Egypt's lack of strong democratic structures is somehow a result of Egyptian rulers from thousands of years ago. Which is also hilarious.

I'll backtrack when I see proof that he is genuinely interested in handing off the powers that he has assumed back to the other branches of government.  Which I am not optimistic he will, having once tasted them.  You know the phrase, 'Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely'?  It can happen to the best of us -why should Morsi be any different? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 12:19:44 AM »

Morsi has cancelled the decree, and the constituional referndum is still set for next week.

Why are you repeating me?  Didn't I just post the article?   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »

Let's try this again...

Apparently Morsi had second thoughts about having such dictatorial powers:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies