The Remember 9/11 thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:02:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Remember 9/11 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Remember 9/11 thread  (Read 3284 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 06:39:20 PM »

The Maudlin-ness of these threads is amazing - perhaps the Victorian age never really died in America. I'm dreading the tenth anniversary already.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 06:44:20 PM »

The Maudlin-ness of these threads is amazing

True enough, but not surprising. At least it's over something genuinely terrible - unlike the death of that stupid Spencer woman. This I can understand - the mountains of flowers after that, I still can't.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 06:47:26 PM by fezzyfestoon »

The Maudlin-ness of these threads is amazing - perhaps the Victorian age never really died in America. I'm dreading the tenth anniversary already.

And how exactly would you react to the anniversary of a day on which you had countless neighbors killed or family members killed or knew unimaginable amounts of people who had experienced that?  You're not above us and it's not weakness to be hurt or sympathetic.

Once again I note, if you have no personal emotional connection, I urge you to have the decency to respect the struggles others may have regardless of your political views on them.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »

Hopefully a day will come when we can remember those who died without killing people in their name.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 06:58:26 PM »

The Maudlin-ness of these threads is amazing

True enough, but not surprising. At least it's over something genuinely terrible - unlike the death of that stupid Spencer woman. This I can understand - the mountains of flowers after that, I still can't.

Oh please, don't bring THAT up again. This thread already has too many prima-donnas already.

Fezzy, as I mentioned in the Allende thread - 25,000 children each day in the world; they get no attention - the vast majority die of things which are easily avoidable to people like us. That is unfair. The death toll in Afghanistan and Iraq or any major war far outstrips 9/11, and many of those dead just happened to be in the wrong place in the wrong time - they, unlike us, were losers in the sperm lottery of life. 9/11 was significant and terrible yes, but it was unique in the amount of deaths - it was unique in the sheer bravado and evil ingenuity of those that planted it out. It was unique in that was shown on TV minute by minute. It was unique because alot of the peole who died there were people like us, the supposed winners in life who got lucky and ended up being born in the United States and not Gabon. So stop this 9/11 memorial shtick - it only seems to develop into something pathological.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 07:10:30 PM by fezzyfestoon »

It's not a schtick and it is certainly unique.  This is 3,000 people that were actively murdered, people from families and neighborhoods I know and am deeply invested in.  It's not the same thing to me as the people that die every day.  Read my story and you'll know why it was so important to me.  Or ask people from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, DC, Virginia, Maryland, and other places for their stories of how it changed their lives forever.  Those are the people I truly feel for and will never forget on what was honestly one of the single most impactful days of my life.  So just because it bears no emotional meaning to you, don't assume the same of everyone else.  For some of us this is not something political or put on, it's real.  If you can't believe that, that's you're prerogative.  But realize that the possibility of real pain and sympathy warrants at least enough respect for you not to personally question the authenticity of people personally on the matter.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »

I'm from New York (obviously) but I refuse to put the lives of the people who died that day on a higher plane than people who died from any other major tragedy in any other part of the world. That, to me, seems morally bankrupt but to each his own.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »

I'm from New York (obviously) but I refuse to put the lives of the people who died that day on a higher plane than people who died from any other major tragedy in any other part of the world. That, to me, seems morally bankrupt but to each his own.

What's morally bankrupt is using the event to make a political point at the expense of those it did have a deeper effect on.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »

Well so much for staying civil....good work people.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 05:28:04 AM »

What's morally bankrupt is using the event to make a political point at the expense of those it did have a deeper effect on.

You are free to ignore me if my views are harming you in some way. Nobody else seems to be having a breakdown over them.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 05:43:45 AM »

It's not a schtick and it is certainly unique. 
How is it unique? Do you know how many bombing raids killeds more people?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 05:44:57 AM »

R.I.P., but I don't see why remembering the victims of the Iraq and Afghanistan war is disrespectful to the victims.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »

Let's also remember the >100,000 Iraqis and Afghans who have been killed since then.
Lief, that is a tragedy, but this isn't the time to take snips at Bush's foriegn policy. It's a time to honor our fallen, innocent civilians.
Didn't you once in your sig talk about how much more important American lives were then those of foreigners?

What is wrong with you?  Seriously?

I'm in a foul mood.

Well don't take it out on us.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »

R.I.P., but I don't see why remembering the victims of the Iraq and Afghanistan war is disrespectful to the victims.

I also don't see why people need to score political points in this particular thread-  And Gully being a tremendous thread-jacking d-bag.  Maudlin?  Bull$hit.  I guess is profane for Americans to honor their dead.

edit: should mention Leif and Soulty in the thread jacking as well.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies