Bill introduced to move Election Day to weekend
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:44:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bill introduced to move Election Day to weekend
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Your opinion ?
Support

Oppose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Bill introduced to move Election Day to weekend  (Read 5480 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »

The only problem with weekend elections is that they'd likely run afoul of religious observances. I'm not sure I want people attending a church for services the same day that a polling booth is open in one. And if we went Saturday instead of Sunday, would that be a slight to the Jewish?

I dunno, I sort of like the Tuesday tradition. A better solution would be to make "Election Tuesday" a national holiday instead.
plenty of people work on national holidays too.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »

clearly the GOP will oppose this, but I look forward to see their twisted logic instead of just saying the truth: "we dont want more of the poors voting"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

I am for it, if, and only if, concomitantly, the voting age is moved back up to 21. I opposed lowering it to 18 when that occurred (a vote I actually coincidentally witnessed from the galleries in the House), and I still oppose it. I don't think 18 year olds in college or living at home live enough in the "real world" to have the franchise. Now some factory rat working full time, and paying taxes, is another matter. That was my thinking back when I was around 19 years of age when the change was made, and it is still my rationale 42 years later.

Yes, I know, in this neighborhood, my opinion is probably a solo one. Smiley

everyone pays taxes.  homeless people pay taxes.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »

If this happens- I hope we can remove early voting...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »

If this happens- I hope we can remove early voting...

um, why?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »

Oppose.  While early voting on demand should be an option in all jurisdictions, having election day remain where it is makes sense unless the electoral schedule is tightened up.

If we did tighten up the electoral schedule, here is what I'd like to see it be.

Second Tuesday in December - Election Day
January 4 - Congress sworn in, and Electoral College meets in each State.
January 11 - Congress tabulates results of the Electoral College
January 20 - Presidential Inauguration
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »

The only problem with weekend elections is that they'd likely run afoul of religious observances. I'm not sure I want people attending a church for services the same day that a polling booth is open in one. And if we went Saturday instead of Sunday, would that be a slight to the Jewish?

I dunno, I sort of like the Tuesday tradition. A better solution would be to make "Election Tuesday" a national holiday instead.
plenty of people work on national holidays too.

True, but plenty of people work on weekends, too. Making Election Day a national holiday helps, but it's not a magic bullet by any measure.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »

The best thing to do would be to have polls open both on Saturday and Sunday (or Friday and Saturday in Utah and Idaho, if they want) and to encourage early voting while limiting absentee voting to cases where it is physically impossible for the voter to go to a polling place.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »

Don't encourage early voting.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »

Won't happen, but it should. Happens where I live...

I like the holiday suggestion too.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »

What happens to activities such as football and church if election day hold on the weekend?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »

Personally I favor making the Tuesday a federal holiday.

Although suppressing the religious vote with an election day on Sunday would be hilarious.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »

Although suppressing the religious vote with an election day on Sunday would be hilarious.
It is funny that you would find that hilarious... I believe you are joking but if not, you should read up on Jim Crow laws. I believe you wwould find a whole lot in agreement with that ideology- surpressing voters of a certain race and of a certain faith is one in the same
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 01:39:15 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2012, 01:40:47 AM by Nagas »

It is funny that you would find that hilarious... I believe you are joking but if not, you should read up on Jim Crow laws. I believe you wwould find a whole lot in agreement with that ideology- surpressing voters of a certain race and of a certain faith is one in the same

It is a joke, but take this is mind: race is a matter of birth; you cannot change your genes. Faith is a matter of choice; you can change it at anytime (well, most children are indoctrinated early, but let's not get technical). The Jim Crow comparison is not perfect. Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 02:10:06 AM »

It is a joke, but take this is mind: race is a matter of birth; you cannot change your genes. Faith is a matter of choice; you can change it at anytime (well, most children are indoctrinated early, but let's not get technical). The Jim Crow comparison is not perfect. Smiley

I'm sure there are a fair number of people who would argue race is a social construct and not genetic. Tongue
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 02:18:20 AM »

It is not perfect you are correct...and I figured you were joking so I was not angry or offended...but it is not easy to change something you deeply believe in- I would argue it is nearly as difficult as changing your skin color...they are equally part of who you are. Look at the African Methodist Episcopal churches or many Southern Baptist churches and see how race and faith are both part of those peoples identity...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies