Atlasian Land Acquisition Bill of 2005 (Withdrawn) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:02:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Land Acquisition Bill of 2005 (Withdrawn) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian Land Acquisition Bill of 2005 (Withdrawn)  (Read 1256 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: August 03, 2005, 09:26:32 AM »
« edited: August 04, 2005, 07:17:23 AM by Emsworth »

Atlasian Land Acquisition Bill of 2005

1. After the passage of this bill, Atlasia shall begin talks with Denmark for the purchase of Greenland.
2. If purchase occurs Greenland shall become a full territory of Atlasia, completely governed by its constitution and laws.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 09:51:53 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2005, 12:06:46 PM by Emsworth »

I'm afraid that it is permissible, under the Atlasian Constitution.

I question if this bill would be warmly received by Denmark or by Greenland. Greenland is an autonomous territory; its approval would be required to be sold. And I highly doubt that Greenland would be willing to sell itself to the U.S., given that there is a movement to make Greenland a completely independent country.

Could the sponsor please explain the point of this bill?
Modern-day manifest destiny, perhaps?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 12:15:09 PM »

I hate to be a gadfly, but, having done a little research, I'm afraid that the sale of Greenland may violate the Constitution of Denmark. It appears that a Danish constitutional amendment passed in 1953 made Greenland a part of Denmark; the Danish Constitution makes explicit provision for the election of Greenland's representatives in the Folketing. (See here.)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:35:10 PM »

Given the various problems raised so far (necessity, constitutionality under Danish Law, extent of the oil reserves, and the Greenland welfare system), I would urge the Senate to reject this proposal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies