Safe Republican States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:06:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Safe Republican States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Safe Republican States  (Read 4413 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »

It is pretty simple. We don't see much variation in these states politically other than climatic livability. Our discussions should get more in depth with more demographics and economics to include as we go down the line.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »

Barbage, the reason these states are so Republican is they are occupied mostly by white racists who usually double as religious intolerants.  Fear and hatred makes these states so R.  Congratulations.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2013, 02:39:38 PM by Waukesha County »

Utah - Utah has 6 electoral votes, and around 2.8 million people at the moment. Mormons make up >50% of the population. Generally, the more Mormons there are in a specific area, the more conservative it is. One of the reasons Utah is still incredibly republican is because it is still 80% white, which compared to Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico (its neighbors) is pretty high. The state is only 13% Hispanic, which is also low compared to its neighbors. Throughout history this state has been one of the safest if not the safest republican state there is, and in recent history it is the safest republican state. Republicans do well in all of the outer suburbs and rural areas that are generally high in Mormon %. Democrats generally do well in the central city of Salt Lake City and the immediate suburbs, as well as some rural, less Mormon parts of the state as well (Carbon, Grand, Summit counties).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »

Wyoming - This state is pretty simple, it is the least populated state in the union with 3 electoral votes and around 570,000 people. This state in recent history has easily become the second safest state behind Utah, and it hasn't gone democratic since 1964, like Utah. There is some religious backing to it in the Southwestern part of the state (Uinta and Lincoln counties) but most of the state isn't particularly religious. Most of the states conservatism is shaped by the rural great plains/rocky mountains structure, the cowboy western culture, and its natural gas/oil/coal economy. The state is still pretty white, at 85%. Hispanic population is growing and it at 9.5% of the population right now, but it is not nearly close enough to send any danger message to Wyoming's republican party. Democrats generally only do good in Jackson/Teton County area and republicans generally do good anywhere else, especially in the northern and eastern parts of the state. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »

Idaho - This state has 4 electoral votes, and around 1.6 million people. While one of the more unpopulated states, it has always been uber republican. Like many other western states, it hasn't gone for a democrat since 1964, and even then then state was very close to electing Goldwater. In recent history, a republican generally scores >60% of the vote in most cases. The states Mormon presence has something to do with the states conservatism, most of the state is not Mormon. Southeastern Idaho is generally called an extension of Utah, and is the safest part of the state for republicans. The northern stick-up part of the state is more moderate and votes like Montana. And finally Boise, while the city leans democratic, it is surrounded by suburbs that vote safely republican. All in all the state is very conservative. It is 83% white, and the 12% of Hispanic population has yet to scare anybody about the states future. Democrats do good in the city of Boise, ski towns in Blaine County, as well as some areas in the Northern stick of the state. Republicans generally do good everywhere else, especially in the Mormon parts of the state and the suburbs of larger cities.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2013, 03:47:42 PM by Waukesha County »

Oklahoma - Oklahoma has 7 electoral votes, and around 3.8 million people. Oklahoma has voted republican in every election since 1964, and in recent history has claimed one of the most conservative states. The state is religious, and it is mostly protestant. The state is what I would consider part southern and part great plains. The eastern side is southern, and the western side is great plains. However its mostly protestant religious group makes it in most people's eyes a more southern state. Oklahoma has turned sharply right in recent years, emphasizing its opposition to Barack Obama, like many states around the area. Oklahoma is also one of the most consistently republican states all around the state, making it the only state to have a complete county sweep for republican in the last three elections in a row. While the urban centers are less republican than rural areas and suburbs, they have still been pretty supportive of the republican party. While the state is only 68% white, turnout issues with Hispanics (9%) and Native Americans (9%) has made the state safely republican because whites now go >70% for republicans. Democrats can only get there votes out in black and Native American parts of the state, while republicans consistently do good everywhere else, especially in the outer suburbs of Tulsa and Oklahoma City and the Northwestern great plains part of the state.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

Oklahoma - Oklahoma has 7 electoral votes, and around 3.8 million people. Oklahoma has voted republican in every election since 1964, and in recent history has claimed one of the most conservative states. The state is religious, and it is mostly protestant. The state is what I would consider part southern and part great plains. The western side is southern, and the eastern side is great plains. However its mostly protestant religious group makes it in most people's eyes a more southern state. Oklahoma has turned sharply right in recent years, emphasizing its opposition to Barack Obama, like many states around the area. Oklahoma is also one of the most consistently republican states all around the state, making it the only state to have a complete county sweep for republican in the last three elections in a row. While the urban centers are less republican than rural areas and suburbs, they have still been pretty supportive of the republican party. While the state is only 68% white, turnout issues with Hispanics (9%) and Native Americans (9%) has made the state safely republican because whites now go >70% for republicans. Democrats can only get there votes out in black and Native American parts of the state, while republicans consistently do good everywhere else, especially in the outer suburbs of Tulsa and Oklahoma City and the Northwestern great plains part of the state.

TL;DR: "God, Guns, and Gays!"
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2013, 04:29:07 PM by Waukesha County »

Looks like I made an error, I mean to say the western side is great plains and the eastern side is southern.

Also why isn't Kansas Safe Republican?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »

Looks like I made an error, I mean to say the western side is great plains and the eastern side is southern.

They missed my cut off by one point. Historically Kansas and Nebraska are probably the most Republican though.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »

They missed my cut off by one point. Historically Kansas and Nebraska are probably the most Republican though.

Is this because Kansas wasn't as republican as Nebraska during the Bush elections? They practically were the same during the Obama elections. The margin of victory of Kansas matched the margin of victory in Nebraska (2008), and the margin of victory of Nebraska was 0.1% more republican than the margin of victory in Kansas (2012).
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »

Is this because Kansas wasn't as republican as Nebraska during the Bush elections? They practically were the same during the Obama elections. The margin of victory of Kansas matched the margin of victory in Nebraska (2008), and the margin of victory of Nebraska was 0.1% more republican than the margin of victory in Kansas (2012).

Yes pretty much. I've averaged recent elections and made cut offs. The only year Kansas was a complete landslide compared to usual was 2004 lately. I suspect it remains 60/40. Nebraska is just a few points redder. Would any of you like to live in these states?
roadkill
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 06:24:25 PM »

Would any of you like to live in these states?
I'd love to.  I grew up in a rural part of a rural state and like the peace and quiet that comes with it.  Even though I think I'd miss having three grocery stores, plus a Target, Wal-Mart, and Lowes all within a 5 min. drive.  I remember growing up and the closest store was a tiny mom and pop all purpose store, and it was 15 min. away.  If you wanted to go to a big chain grocery store or Wal-Mart, it was another 15 min. drive past that.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »

Would any of you like to live in these states?
I'd love to.  I grew up in a rural part of a rural state and like the peace and quiet that comes with it.  Even though I think I'd miss having three grocery stores, plus a Target, Wal-Mart, and Lowes all within a 5 min. drive.  I remember growing up and the closest store was a tiny mom and pop all purpose store, and it was 15 min. away.  If you wanted to go to a big chain grocery store or Wal-Mart, it was another 15 min. drive past that.

What state was that? Did you know that 90% of Americans live within 15 minutes of a Walmart?
roadkill
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »

What state was that? Did you know that 90% of Americans live within 15 minutes of a Walmart?
NE corner of Mississippi.  Practically on the state line with Alabama.  You also have to remember that this was during the 70's and 80's, but the closest Walmart is still just over a 30 min. drive.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »

NE corner of Mississippi.  Practically on the state line with Alabama.  You also have to remember that this was during the 70's and 80's, but the closest Walmart is still just over a 30 min. drive.

Ok that makes sense then. Growing up I experienced the rise of Walmart in every single town within an hour of me. Everywhere we went growing up, we saw a Walmart open up near.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »

Kansas is probably one of the most historically Republican states in the nation. It's only had three Democrats representing it in the US Senate ever, and that hasn't happened since 1932. In presidential elections, it's voted Democratic six times since becoming a state in 1861 (WJB in 1896, twice for Woodrow Wilson, twice for FDR, and LBJ in 1964).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »

Does the average guy in such states see promoting "tradition" by the Government as a Government product?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »

Kansas is definitely one of the most conservative states, but it just misses being grouped with Oklahoma and Nebraska thanks to the moderate midwestern thing going on in the Kansas City area. Suburbs like Overland Park are still pretty Republican but it's not an overwhelming support of the GOP like you see in rural areas of the state. Johnson County is very white yet Obama still got above 40% there both times. The KC area is like an extension of urban Missouri that just happens to be in Kansas.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »

Does the average guy in such states see promoting "tradition" by the Government as a Government product?

Government product?  No, hardly.  Social conservatives see government promoting tradition as the government protecting his freedom to be traditional. 

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:54 PM »

Government product?  No, hardly.  Social conservatives see government promoting tradition as the government protecting his freedom to be traditional. 

Yes this country was founded on integrity and it is our duty to make sure people can practice their conservatism and promote traditional values at all costs.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »

If the current trends continue, Alaska won't be on this list after 2016.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 10:06:04 PM »

If the current trends continue, Alaska won't be on this list after 2016.

True it will be light red. Most of us highly doubt it will be winnable for Democrats though. I can see it being like Montana or Missouri at the very best. Trends don't go on forever.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies