Christianity and gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:54:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity and gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which of these best describes you?
I am Catholic and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Catholic and support legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and oppose legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and support legal gay marriage

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Christianity and gay marriage  (Read 5329 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »

Vote in the poll and feel free to tell about exactly what your viewpoint is on this. Secular and other religions weigh in as well.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »

Non-religious (former Catholic): strongly support gay marriage.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »

The same biblical authors who opposed homosexuality also supported slavery and the subjugation of women (in multiple ways).

Guess where I stand.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »

Atheist who opposes gay marriage (the only way to live)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »

Somewhat oppose in government, strongly oppose in my denomination. (Protestant)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »

Not really sure how to vote in the poll, but I don't really believe it's possible for a "Christian" to oppose gay marriage.  Such hatred and bigotry makes a mockery of everything Jesus ever stood for.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 11:59:10 PM »

Not really sure how to vote in the poll, but I don't really believe it's possible for a "Christian" to oppose gay marriage.  Such hatred and bigotry makes a mockery of everything Jesus ever stood for.

I always chuckle when non-practising folks and liberal prots make sweeping declarations about who is and isn't Christian.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »

I share your position on gay marriage but I don't think you really understand by what reasoning Christians who oppose it so do. Or, more to the point, reasonings.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »

That is only the case if one believes that heterosexuality and homosexuality are both perfectly normal sexual orientations.  If one believes that homosexuality is an aberrant behavior, then what could be more loving than to disapprove of such an aberrancy?  Jesus was more than willing to meet and talk with sinners of all varieties, but he never shied from telling them to cease their sin.  Granted, many Christians express that disapproval in an unloving and un-Christian fashion.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »

I always chuckle when non-practising folks and liberal prots make sweeping declarations about who is and isn't Christian.

I don't know what a "prot" is, but I don't know why you would call me "non-practicing."  And considering how the largest denomination of "Christianity" in my state has never considered me to be a Christian, I feel completely justified and righteous in throwing it back at them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2013, 12:33:50 AM by Harry »

Not really sure how to vote in the poll, but I don't really believe it's possible for a "Christian" to oppose gay marriage.  Such hatred and bigotry makes a mockery of everything Jesus ever stood for.

I share your position on gay marriage but I don't think you really understand by what reasoning Christians who oppose it so do. Or, more to the point, reasonings.

Rank and file Baptists, etc., are against gay marriage because their preacher and/or politician erroneously told them that homosexuality is "sinful," and they don't have the knowledge and/or character to challenge that nonsense.  Just like they used to support Jim Crow, etc.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »

Mormon who supports gay marriage because it ain't none of my business.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 01:37:29 AM »

Not really sure how to vote in the poll, but I don't really believe it's possible for a "Christian" to oppose gay marriage.  Such hatred and bigotry makes a mockery of everything Jesus ever stood for.

Rank and file Baptists, etc., are against gay marriage because their preacher and/or politician erroneously told them that homosexuality is "sinful," and they don't have the knowledge and/or character to challenge that nonsense.  Just like they used to support Jim Crow, etc.

I meant among people who actually think these things through.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 01:58:43 AM »

Somewhat oppose in government, strongly oppose in my denomination. (Protestant)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »

I believe Harry is actually a Catholic.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »

I believe Harry is actually a Catholic.

I thought he had left that church and maybe had some ties to the Episcopalians, but he can correct me.

I don't know what a "prot" is, but I don't know why you would call me "non-practicing."  And considering how the largest denomination of "Christianity" in my state has never considered me to be a Christian, I feel completely justified and righteous in throwing it back at them.

Prot=Protestant. As I noted above, I thought you weren't a practicing Catholic. What are you exactly?

Anyways, if we're going to be talking about "making a mockery of everything Jesus stood for" perhaps you should avoid justifying your statements with "they did it to me first". Turn the other cheek and all that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »

I'm even less qualified religiously to comment on this as an atheist.  That said, to me the real question there is whether homophobia or the belief that homosexuality is immoral is a part of modern Christianity. 

I think most people would say that the Hebrew bible and New testament are allegorical documents, at least in large part.  They express certain negative sentiments towards gayness, sure.  But, you need to put those statements in the context of their time.  Back in Bible times, having a gay son could mess up your family's continued livelihood in terms of land title and child labor.  Plus, people just didn't understand why people were gay and didn't know that gay people are born that way.  Many people thought infectious disease was also a moral issue back then, that disease was a punishment from God.  We know better now, just like we know better that homophobia is wrong.

So, just like Christians don't keep kosher or follow the cultural and religious laws of ancient Israel, they don't necessarily need to view homosexuality as wrong. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »

snip

So, just like Christians don't keep kosher or follow the cultural and religious laws of ancient Israel, they don't necessarily need to view homosexuality as wrong. 

I agree with you there.

It's just funny because you usually don't associate sweeping condemnations of heresy with theological liberalism.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 03:31:21 AM »

As a practicing Catholic, I fully support marriage equality.

I think God loves all of his children, and that we shouldn't be discriminating against a group because its unnatural although God made these people gay.

If we literally practice the bible, it says many things, three of which are that you cannot wear mixed fabric clothing, or eat lobster, or plant different plants side next to side, the latter you can be stoned to death for.

If we look at the bible as a collection of stories to live your life by, to love your neighbor, do not harm anyone, help the poor and needy, it helps guide you throughout life.

Now, I am alright with whatever religion you are. You can be a Catholic like me, a Muslim from Sudan, or someone who believes in the flying spaghetti monster, and we are all equal, and I love each and every one of you, because we are all God's children, whichever one you believe in, and whichever one is the real deal (or ones if I need say).

Which means I think as long as you are a decent human being, one who is respectful, helps the needy, and thats what being a Christian is all about.

Then there are people using quotes from the bible, from a few select disciples, and preaching hate, although God says to love each and every one of your neighbors, no matter how far away, or different from you.

They are hypocrites, speaking hate, while saying it is for the moral fabric of humankind, but if you keep hating ~10% of the population, you're invalidating a huge chunk of humanity that can or cannot be loved, based on what God made them to be, and who God loves, because you feel uncomfortable with them marrying the person they love.

In my mind, Christians should follow the steps of Pope Francis, and to support gay marriage, and to remember what being Christian is truly about.

So there's my 3 A.M. poorly organized rant about this.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »

I've never heard a convincing argument against denying gays the right to marry (and I've had them spat at me for about 15 years now) Once again I defer to the Quakers;

'Surely it is the nature and quality of a relationship that matters: one must not judge it by
its outward appearance but by its inner worth. Homosexual affection can be as selfless as
heterosexual affection, and therefore we cannot see that it is in some way morally worse.'
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 01:22:30 PM »

I'm a Catholic who supports getting rid of the marriage license. The government has no right to be the gatekeeper for the Sacrament of Matrimony. That's the Church's job.

As for non-catholics, they should be able to do whatever they want as far as the law is concerned.

What about all the legal stuff associated with state-recognized marriage, though? That's the drive for legalization of same-sex marriage, not that religious horse-sh*t. Why can't religious people separate in their mind the concepts of marriage recognized by the state for legal purposes and marriage within their own religion?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2013, 04:11:47 PM by Illini142 »

I'll share my own thoughts on this as well.

I am also a practicing Catholic that fully supports marriage equality. The Bible does have a few verses that appear to condemn homosexuality, but as mentioned above, there are many verses in the Bible that the Church has recognized as a product of the times rather than actual holy doctrine, such as the stoning of adulterers. The words of the Bible and of the Catholic doctrine are very fulfilling for me compared to the structure and messaging of conservative protestant sects. Things such as believing that non-Catholics can get into heaven and believing in social justice and believing in unrestricted forgiveness are things that inspire me and make me happy to be a Catholic.

Opposition to same-sex marriage does not, to me, fit the themes and messages that exist in the Doctrine. I well-understand the rationale behind it, but I am very content being both a practicing Catholic and supporting same-sex marriage, as do so many Catholics that I know. Southern protestant sects are, to me, so much more dogmatic and intimidating than the Catholic Church and so I feel as though opposition to marriage equality better fits their message than the message of the Church that calls on you to do more compassionate things rather than live in fear.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »

Agnostic (former Catholic) who strongly supports gay marriage. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »

Protestant against gay marriage.

There are those who think I fear or hate  LGBT people. That is not the case. The Bible does specifically mention homosexuality among a list of things that would keep one out of Heaven unless one came to faith in Christ and broke with their past actions that fall short of God's standards. I do know gay folk and some have been kinder to me than some "Christians". Needless I'd be negligent in following the command to love my neighbor if I didn't tell them compassionately to change their course of action and come to faith in Jesus. Phil from Duck Dynasty has expressed my personal view in a manner better than I have.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »

snip

I agree with you there.

It's just funny because you usually don't associate sweeping condemnations of heresy with theological liberalism.

So, is what you're saying here that while you obviously oppose gay marriage, especially in your church, it's not a question that you consider to be determinative of whether or not someone or someone's views are fully Christian?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies