The liberal hysteria over Trump is nearly unprecedented (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 08:13:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The liberal hysteria over Trump is nearly unprecedented (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The liberal hysteria over Trump is nearly unprecedented  (Read 2740 times)
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« on: September 24, 2016, 09:54:34 PM »

Is it so different from 1964? Goldwater wasn't considered vulgar or a con man, but people thought he'd start World War III.

I left out 1964 for a reason. Goldwater was seen as ideologically extreme, but he still received an endorsement from the prior Republican President, Dwight Eisenhower, and Richard Nixon campaigned vigorously for him. You did not see dozens of GOP establishment policy figures openly denounce Goldwater. Also, there was never any doubt that LBJ would beat Goldwater, so I suppose that tempered the hysteria significantly.

Sen. Jacob Javits (R-NY)
Gov. Nelson Rockefeler (R-NY)
Rep. John V. Lindsay (R-NY)
Gov. William Scranton (R-PA)
Gov. George Romney (R-MI)
Sen. Clifford Case (R-NJ)
Sen. Thomas Kuchel (R-CA)

Just to name a few who did not endorse Goldwater.

Wow, nice precedent Tongue
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »

Is it so different from 1964? Goldwater wasn't considered vulgar or a con man, but people thought he'd start World War III.

I left out 1964 for a reason. Goldwater was seen as ideologically extreme, but he still received an endorsement from the prior Republican President, Dwight Eisenhower, and Richard Nixon campaigned vigorously for him. You did not see dozens of GOP establishment policy figures openly denounce Goldwater. Also, there was never any doubt that LBJ would beat Goldwater, so I suppose that tempered the hysteria significantly.

Sen. Jacob Javits (R-NY)
Gov. Nelson Rockefeler (R-NY)
Rep. John V. Lindsay (R-NY)
Gov. William Scranton (R-PA)
Gov. George Romney (R-MI)
Sen. Clifford Case (R-NJ)
Sen. Thomas Kuchel (R-CA)

Just to name a few who did not endorse Goldwater.

Wow, nice precedent Tongue

Nixon, who endorsed Goldwater and campaigned for him, assured the media that Goldwater was "reasonable" and "not some kind of a jerk or a wild man".  Sounds like some of the Trump endorsements from Establishment types.

The guys I mentioned had careers afterward, but never ran for President.  Case, Kuchel and Javits lost primaries to conservatives.  Rockefeller was forced out of the Vice Presidency, which he was APPOINTED to, and not elected to.  Lindsay was run out of the GOP in 1969 after losing the GOP Mayoral primary in NYC to conservative John Marchi; he was re-elected as a candidate of the Liberal Party.  Scranton and Romney became obscure Cabinet members. 
OK; you miss my point. If the last time a nominee had these levels of support was Goldwater, what does that say about Trump...?
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

No, what is unprecedented is a Republican party that thinks it's okay to obstruct every move a President makes just because of his skin pigmentation.

Donald Trump is the personification of that ignorance and obstruction.  He should be fed to a polar bear, but instead he is being treated like a serious presidential candidate.  The fact that people would vote for him just shows how many Americans hate their country and hate each other.

Yes, I agree with the first paragraph.  I am a 2012 Obama voter and I agree with this.

But the personification of ignorance and obstruction is not Donald Trump.  It is Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, Jason Chaffetz, and others like them.  It is also folks like Paul Ryan, Lindsay Graham, John McCain, and even Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski; folks that seek to appear to be reasonable, but are not  Trump is the kind of person that would work with Democrats once the dust of 2016 settled and folks came to their senses.  Whether Democrats would work with him is another issue.  

Why do you think that Trump would work with Democrats? I'm not trying to insinuate anything, I'm just curious- what about Trump makes you think he'd be willing to work across the aisle?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies