A Resolution Establishing Several Senate Select Committees. (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:37:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A Resolution Establishing Several Senate Select Committees. (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Resolution Establishing Several Senate Select Committees. (Passed)  (Read 1091 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: November 10, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »

This isn't a bad idea in principle, but I do have a question for the sponsor: given that the Constitutional Convention has voted to establish a three-Region map, would not the long-range usefulness of these final reports be somewhat limited, or do you see a broader use for these findings beyond addressing the current turmoil in the Northeast and the Pacific?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:44:34 PM »

I think that while the regions will obviously change, there will still be a valuable surfeit of information about federal-regional relations and tensions, issues surrounding government inactivity, etc.
This is a good point. Even if the Regions in question are consolidated before the committee finishes its work, the findings could still be used to ensure that similar problems do not plague the new Regional system. I do think that the deadline should be be moved back, though, considering that 12/15 is less than a month away.

I'm still unsure about the need for the Northeast Committee, though. The causes of the independence movement are pretty widely known, as Clyde and others explained themselves quite clearly; furthermore, proposing Constitutional reforms is the business of the Constitutional Convention.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am also considering an amendment to strike Section 2, under the assumption that the findings of a Committee on the Northeast would pertain too specifically to a Region that may well cease to exist before long as a result of consolidation.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »

Wouldn't that apply to the Pacific equally though, Senator Truman?

I think not. The situation in the Northeast arose in response to a specific set of circumstances that are unlikely to be repeated again; furthermore, any proposed solutions to this situation would need to come in the form of changes to the Constitution. As we already have a body (the ConCon) dedicated to discussing Constitutional reforms, I see no reason why the Senate should mirror those discussions. Regional inactivity, by contrast, has been a recurring problem throughout Atlasia's history. While the structural instabilities contributing to this problem are being addressed by the ConCon, it is not necessarily the case that the current debacle is entirely Constitutional in nature. As such, it would be useful for the Senate to divine the causes and appropriate responses to Regional inactivity, so that we have a game plan ready if (God forbid) this problem crops up again in the future.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »

So, has my amendment been adopted?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »

Excellent! In that case, I offer a second amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As I have said previously, I am not convinced that recent events in the Northeast are anything other than a reaction to a set of problems being addressed by the ConCon. Unlike the inactivity currently plaguing the Pacific, therefore, we are unlikely to garner any larger truths from studying it in depth, and the usefulness of the Committee's findings would therefore cease at the moment the new Constitution is adopted.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »

I suppose so. I'll second the motion for a final vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

AYE, tentatively. I'm not completely convinced of the necessity of this project, but several senators seem eager to try, and as such I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies