President's Term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:24:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  President's Term
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President's Term  (Read 2278 times)
qwerty
Dick Nixon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2004, 08:15:35 AM »

I think that the President should serve a six year term with no re-election, that way he/she spends their entire term being president, and dosen't dedicate an hour or a day to any partasin campaign.

What do you think?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 08:28:55 AM »

Could be good, could be bad. If a good president is elected, you could get eight years of good president under the current system, four of which will not be concerned about re-election, only six total under yours. On the other hand, a president who would be bad under the current system(so busy getting re-elected) could be good because he can focus on the job rather than campaigns. You have pros and cons I suppose.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:16:16 AM »

I think that the President should serve a six year term with no re-election, that way he/she spends their entire term being president, and dosen't dedicate an hour or a day to any partasin campaign.

What do you think?

That isn't that bad of an idea. It would not only give them more time for policy but enable them to enact policies that will help the nation, not make the President popular. Of course, it would involve amending the constitution, so it would never happen.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 11:54:42 AM »

The problem with two 4 year terms is this. The first term you have to cakewalk around and be careful what you institute because it won't be very long until you have to start campaigning again. Usually most presidents do what they like in their second term because they have no worries about re-election. One or two 6 year terms would be a good idea. Much like the Confederacy had established.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 06:48:20 PM »

On the one hand, Bush would have never signed that Medicare bill if he didn't have to get re-elected. On the other hand, would Clinton have signed the Welfare Reform Act? I suppose both would have to wait for another president, if support could be found in Congress (in the later case, it would have; in the former, probably not).

Here's my real problem with a six year president: one class of senators would always be elected side-by-side with presidential electors. This would create, rather than three equal classes in this regard, one class to be influenced more heavily by presidential politics than the others. This hardly sounds fair. What states are going to be in this class?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies