In Bill Clinton White House, Hillary Clinton's staff helped push on gay rights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:24:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  In Bill Clinton White House, Hillary Clinton's staff helped push on gay rights
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Bill Clinton White House, Hillary Clinton's staff helped push on gay rights  (Read 659 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:48:30 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/clinton-white-house-gay-rights-hillary-clinton-staff-116859.html#ixzz3X1HrCnx3
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »

Who cares? I mean really, gay marriage is a reality. What more is Hillary going to do?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »

Who cares? I mean really, gay marriage is a reality. What more is Hillary going to do?

Did you sleep through the whole debate over 'religious freedom' laws in IN and AR two weeks ago? Gay marriage isn't the end of all gay rights debates. In fact, expect Hillary (or any Dem) to make ENDA a big issue. Every GOPer probably has to oppose it in the primary but it can be used to make them seem intolerant in the general.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »

*sigh*

LGBT homeless youth
HIV prevention
Banning 'reparative' therapy
Trans bill of rights
National ENDA
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »

*sigh*

LGBT homeless youth
HIV prevention
Banning 'reparative' therapy
Trans bill of rights
National ENDA

There are homeless youth regardless of sexual orientation. Why the focus on gay homeless youth instead of the wider problem?
HIV harms millions of people, regardless of sexual orientation.
Obama is already working against such a vile practice.
Rights don't come in bunches.
States Rights issue.

*sigh*

I'm sick and tired of the issue of "group rights." There is no such thing as collective rights.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:16:09 PM »

Is there an Institute of Privilege thread that I can paste this reply into?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »

You may not want to talk about it, but these are still issues and will come up in a campaign.

The way Pence handled the 'religious freedom' thing a couple of weeks ago has wiped out talk of him jumping into the race.

Rick Perry got into trouble talking about repartive therapy after the TX GOP platform endorsed it (comparing homosexuality to alcoholism).

And ENDA is quite clearly a national issue as it has been debated on and off in the US Congress for the last two decades.

Sorry, but gay rights is clearly not going away, even after the Supreme Court makes gay marriage legal nationwide. In fact, that might ignite the other debates even further as it will inspire the left to push for more rights and inspire the right to push for 'religious freedom' bills and other ways to 'fix' the problem of expanding gay rights (just like they have done to curtail abortion rights after Roe).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 05:27:56 PM »

You may not want to talk about it, but these are still issues and will come up in a campaign.

The way Pence handled the 'religious freedom' thing a couple of weeks ago has wiped out talk of him jumping into the race.

Rick Perry got into trouble talking about repartive therapy after the TX GOP platform endorsed it (comparing homosexuality to alcoholism).

And ENDA is quite clearly a national issue as it has been debated on and off in the US Congress for the last two decades.

Sorry, but gay rights is clearly not going away, even after the Supreme Court makes gay marriage legal nationwide. In fact, that might ignite the other debates even further as it will inspire the left to push for more rights and inspire the right to push for 'religious freedom' bills and other ways to 'fix' the problem of expanding gay rights (just like they have done to curtail abortion rights after Roe).
I do want to talk about the issue, and I am a big supporter of gay rights. What I oppose is another Hillary hack thread about how she is some type of lone wolf progressive visionary. She is not. Numerous other politicians have fought for gay rights in a much more open way than Hillary has.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »

Another confirmed case of Hillary Derangement Syndrome. A diagnoses is not a death sentence. Please seek help, if not for your sake, then our's.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 05:39:30 PM »

Hillary may not be the ultimate defender of gay rights, and her interview with Terry Gross showed that (this latest leak may be to counter that). If she were facing a serious progressive challenger, they might be able to make an issue out of this in the primary, but that seems unlikely. And  compared to everyone on the GOP side she looks like Harvey Milk.

Bottom line is that the country has moved on and for the general election the GOPers are risking looking intolerant.

Remember the words of the RNC 'autopsy' of the 2012 election

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This year to win the GOP nomination they will likely have to be against SSM (perhaps with the 'states rights' dodge), against ENDA, and for RFRAs. This may add up to be akin to 'self-deportation' in the way it is portrayed in the general.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies