Transition Team/Cabinet Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:23:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Transition Team/Cabinet Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Transition Team/Cabinet Thread  (Read 91022 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 12, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Did it ever happen? Huh

I like the guy.

A waiver was granted to George C. Marshall in 1950 but that was because we in an actual full scale war at the time and Marshall was pretty universally respected.  No way a waiver is granted right now. Flynn could be National Security Advisor or Secretary of State (the same rule is why Powell was never considered for this post) but until August 21, 2021, he's ineligible to be Secretary  of Defense. The rule used to be ten years, and maybe it could get cut back further to five, which would have the side effect of letting Trump name him to be Secretary of Defense at the start of a second term, if he wins one.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:18:30 AM »

Considering you were guaranteed to be free in seven years (if you were an Israelite), Biblical slavery might well be preferable to our Prison Industrial Complex.  But that's not because slavery is a good thing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »

A shame he's not eligible and won't be until 2020.  A greater shame that Trump still doesn't get that since this is at least the second recent general whose name has been floated for a post he's barred from holding in recent days.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:52:20 AM »

Robert Ariail cartoon from The State newspaper:

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »

Kinda stunned by the Haley pick. Not sure why she'd accept. Maybe bolster foreign policy credentials for a future POTUS run? Only thing I can think of

I think this is exactly the reason. Raises her profile both nationally and internationally, and she will gain foreign policy experience and that's helpful when running for president later down the line. Also, she only has two years left as Governor of South Carolina, so she'd probably need a new job soon. So this is a good opportunity for her

Not only that, but there's nothing for her to run for in 2018. No Senate seat even if she wanted to unseat a fellow Republican.. The 2nd District would require challenging Wilson.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 04:45:00 AM »

Well, then. Can't question a source like that. They've got the best beat on the GOP out of anyone outside of Costa.
It's solid reporting like that which makes one stop and say A-ha!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:00:51 PM »

Puzder confirmed:

Ben PennVerified account
‏@benjaminpenn
BREAKING: Hardee's/Carl's Jr. CEO Andy Puzder will be named Trump's labor secretary nomination. Announcement coming shortly.

So much for making bringing back manufacturing a priority. Unless Trump plans to do it by paying manufacturing jobs at fast food wage levels. Sad.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »

Well, we won't go in war against Russia then.

Nope. Iran, or maybe Venezuela.  Also a chance of some sort of intervention in Mexico short of outright war.

Why invade Venezuela?  We don't need their oil and frankly, their oil sector is in such a mess that even if we did need more oil, even a neocon nincompoop could see that Venezuelan oil isn't the best option.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »

What I think is happening here (re: Heitkamp) is either:

a. She's serious about taking the position

or

b. Bannon and co. struck a deal with her that would entail Heitkamp being publicly considered for a cabinet position by Trump, which would give her bipartisan credibility in 2018, in exchange for her vote to confirm crucial cabinet positions.

Her vote's not needed for that.  The Republicans have all the votes they need.  That said, even if she were to stay in office and win reelection, I think the Senate will remain in Republican control in 2018.  There are so few Republicans up in the class of 2018 that at most the Dems can gain only 1 barring an absolute disaster in the next two years, in which case they might regain North Dakota anyway.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 02:59:31 AM »

Well, we won't go in war against Russia then.

Nope. Iran, or maybe Venezuela.  Also a chance of some sort of intervention in Mexico short of outright war.

Why invade Venezuela?  We don't need their oil and frankly, their oil sector is in such a mess that even if we did need more oil, even a neocon nincompoop could see that Venezuelan oil isn't the best option.

The Venezuelan government is already portrayed as  "bad guys". It's close so it's logistically easier. It can easily be spun as a much larger threat than it really is. And because President Pussygrabber is going to have a hard-on for a short victorious war. Besides Iran, or maybe Mexico, there isn't a better target in sight.

Once again I will ask why people keep deluding themselves that objective reasoning and critical thinking have ANYTHING to do with the actions of President-elect Pussgrabber and his crew of super-deplorables.
Because while Trump is impulsive, he isn't a total nincompoop. Even if it's a bad reason, he's still going to need a reason to invade a place. Venezuela doesn't offer any reasons that Trump is likely to consider as war worthy, plus he'd step on the toes of Rosneft if he invaded there.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »

Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT  24s25 seconds ago
Trump transition said to be eyeing Navy Admiral Michelle Howard to head the VA. Link tk

Seems like another decent choice.

Veterans' issues are another area I care a lot about, although I'm not as knowledgeable about them as I wish I were.

The number of women in his administration is still horrifying.

There is no good reason to replace McDonald.  Heck if i weren't for the fact he's already there, McDonald has the resume to be one of Trump's CEO Cabinet picks that liberals have been castigating him for making.  He's doing a good job and is well liked by veteran's groups.  To be honest, no matter how qualified Howard may be, picking her would seem like an obvious attempt to promote a last minute gender balance by naming a female to a department Trump doesn't care much about.  In my opinion, the only other reason for dumping McDonald would be if the new Labor Secretary doesn't want competition in the Cabinet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »

House Democrats are threatening to revolt over the waiver needed for James Mattis to serve as defense secretary after the Trump transition team blocked him from testifying before the House Armed Services Committee.

Plan was since his announcement that he would testify to both sides of Congress, but the transition team has pulled him out of House testimony. House Republicans aren't happy either, but they are planning on voting for the waiver anyway.

If they think the restriction is outmoded, why isn't the GOP calling for a full repeal of it, rather than a one-time waiver?  There's absolutely nothing special about either our current defense needs or this nominee that warrants waiving the rule just for him just this one time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies