Raise the retirement age (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:07:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Raise the retirement age (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raise the retirement age  (Read 4317 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« on: February 28, 2017, 05:31:45 AM »

I don't favor policies that screw over young people.

How does it hurt young people to not be paying for a 66 year old's pension?

I would rather raise the retirement age and at least get a reasonable pension than retire on a below subsistence pension, or worse, see the state pension abolished.

The real screwing over of young people was getting rid of defined benefit schemes, that pretty much ensures we get to retire into poverty in any case.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »

It's not just about fertility rates either, fertility rates have actually increased across much of western Europe in recent years, largely as immigrants have more children.

There is always going to be the mathematical factor that the current retirement model was built on the idea that people would live until about the age of 70. If they are going to live to 90, that means they are going to be drawing a pension for 20-25 years, rather than 5-10. That is always going to mean a bigger cost, and a higher share of the population, regardless of the number of young people entering the workforce.

Call me an elitist dipsh!t if you want, but even if we set retirement funding aside, a future in which an increasing large share of children come from the least stable, lowest income, least educated households is one that horrifies me. You can already feel this instability and dysfunction coming through at the community level.

The solution to that is, of course, a society with a smaller gap between the wealthiest and the poorest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies