Will a Supreme Court nominee be confirmed before the year is out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:25:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will a Supreme Court nominee be confirmed before the year is out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will a Supreme Court nominee be confirmed before the year is out?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Will a Supreme Court nominee be confirmed before the year is out?  (Read 1270 times)
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »

By 12/31/16 will SCOTUS have 9 members?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Obama gets it done. Divide and conquer.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:47:55 PM »

Not unless McConnell has pre-approved the nominee in talks with Obama.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:37:32 PM »

Grassley's openness to holding hearings makes it a look a little more likely than it did yesterday, but I would still definitely bet against it.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »

I am listening to Obama answering questions, he isn't promising to nominate someone who is moderate, and says don't make any assumptions. He also says he will appoint someone who is qualified. No surprise there. The politics isn't the fault of either party. Basically so far he isn't saying anything that we don't already know. He comments that the Senate won't confirm a nominee, even if they are voted out of committee. He sounds a little frustrated at the whole process. He is appealing to the original intent of the founders. He is talking about that process as outlined in the Constitution.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »

No, and it's perfectly conceivable for the seat to languish open for many years.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »

Pretty much the only way I could see it happening was if they pull the West Wing strategy - Ginsburg or Breyer retires, and Obama puts up one liberal for that seat and one moderate right-winger (Sandoval, for instance) for Scalia.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:28:24 PM »

Possibly after the election if the Dems retake the Senate. If that happens, then the lame duck Republican Senate might approve whichever moderate Obama is likely to have nominated before the election to avoid what they would consider an even worse replacement being put forth by the next President and getting thru the new Democratic Senate.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:44:32 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes for several reasons. I expect that Obama will pick someone fairly moderate and noncontroversial to back the GOP into a corner. With a Trump nomination looking likely for the Republicans, Hillary Clinton becomes the odds on favorite to be elected President come November. And I think she'll have strong enough coattails, and Trump will be a problematic enough candidate, that the Democrats will be able to retake the Senate.

In this scenario, its better to confirm the more moderate candidate during the lame duck. Instead of waiting until after next January when a President Clinton will have more leeway to pick someone more liberal.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:11:30 PM »

Initially I was doubtful, but already a few Republican senators are saying, well, let's see who Obama picks and go from there. Given Obama's almost sure to appoint Sri Whatshisname, I think Obama sees an opening.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 11:31:24 PM »

Pretty much the only way I could see it happening was if they pull the West Wing strategy - Ginsburg or Breyer retires, and Obama puts up one liberal for that seat and one moderate right-winger (Sandoval, for instance) for Scalia.

Has to be a pro-life originalist like Scalia one to preserve the balance. Sandoval is not pro-life.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 01:51:14 AM »

Honestly, it's a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing; they'll confirm a nominee in a few months at worst.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 04:42:23 AM »

How moderate is Sri Srinivasan anyway?
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 07:12:50 AM »

If Obama nominates someone uncontroversial and if by the summer it looks like Trump or Cruz are set for a thrashing the senators in competitive races might get angsty and Republicans might want to cut their loses.

Maybe.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 07:46:45 AM »

Initially I was doubtful, but already a few Republican senators are saying, well, let's see who Obama picks and go from there. Given Obama's almost sure to appoint Sri Whatshisname, I think Obama sees an opening.

This.  The Republicans made a big mistake by immediately claiming they'd oppose anyone Obama nominated, regardless of qualifications.  Lindsay Graham's "If President Obama nominates a well-qualified liberal, I'll block a vote on him.  If Hillary Clinton nominates a well-qualifed liberal, I'll vote for him" (or words to that effect) line is an example of the sort of thing that plays right into the Democrats hands and should make it pretty easy to delegitimize the Republican party's opposition to whomever Obama nominates in the eyes of the general public. 

Plus, if this drags on, sooner or later folks like Joe Heck, Kelly Ayotte, and Pat Toomey, etc are gonna be forced to say whether they'd vote for a pro-choice nominee and there is really no good answer to that question for folks like them.  Portman is really lucky that Strickland screwed up his own answer to that question badly enough that he probably doesn't have to worry about the Roe vs. Wade issue quite as much as some other Republicans, but Tammy Duckworth is already beating Kirk like a piņata over this issue.  Ron Johnson is another one who is quite vulnerable to such attacks (the Republican nominee in Colorado will be too).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 08:12:01 AM »

I wouldnt count out Strickland,  blacks like to vote for Dems in Ohio, Portman Im predicting to lose.

But, Grassley is begining to crack and may hold a hearing on Sri and a handful of GOPers may vote to confirm the choice.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies