How much Repub. obstructionism expected for Sup. Crt. nominee? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:55:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How much Repub. obstructionism expected for Sup. Crt. nominee? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much Repub. obstructionism expected for Sup. Crt. nominee?  (Read 2027 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 16, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »
« edited: February 16, 2016, 09:27:33 AM by Gass3268 »

If I were McConnell, I would filibuster until we got to pick the nominee, we get a President who can pick the nominee, or Ginsburg's seat opens up so we can strike a deal to put a solid conservative in Scalia's seat and a liberal in Ginsburg's seat. I think Republicans will hold the Senate, but if we don't, then I'd be on high alert looking for the nuclear option. In return I'd repeal the Byrd Rule during the lameduck session so that they can't bring up a vote to change the rules. Stop a reshaping of the court at absolutely all costs.

Disgusting.

Also I hope Republicans know that 9 out of 13 of the Circuit Courts have Democratic majorities and most of their decisions on contentious decisions will stand until their is a 9th Justice.   
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »

LOL. Obama has a right to nominate anyone. Senate has a right to not confirm anyone.

The Senate has the right to deny any vote at their own political risk. But that is it! There is no obligation to confirm an appointee immediately and no statement in the constitution about the timeline of the Senate's obligation. And any insinuation that there is is simply hackary. Dems would be doing the same thing if an R was in office. Get over it.

If the GOP keeps the seat vacant all year, Democrats will see to it that the GOP pays in November 2016.

That's very optimistic of you.

Remember when the Republicans throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government was supposed to hurt them? Remember when the country despised Republicans for getting us into trillions of debt, destroying the economy, and starting endless wars, then turned to them as glorious saviors 2 years later?

The American people have very short memories. That being said it did give the Dems the Gov, Lt Gov, and AG in Virginia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies