Opinion of Hillary's speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:37:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of Hillary's speech?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: You know the damn drill!
FS

HS

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Opinion of Hillary's speech?  (Read 2611 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 11:36:35 PM »

A great speech. I'm amazed at how in four days the Democrats have picked up the mantle of being the optimistic, patriotic, family values, American exceptionalism party.

To be fair, listening to Trump's message, they certainly created an opening.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »

Utilitarian.

She really is better during debates. On a one-on-one debate with Clinton, Trump will have his clock cleaned -- but if the dimwits Stein and Johnson (sp?) are invited, then it will become a free for all that Trump generally thrives in.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 01:17:01 AM »

Well done.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 01:34:40 AM »

Hillary did very well in the second part of the speech (the first part was a snoozefest) and it was good to see her emotional about something. I still think that she hasn't quite overcome her issues but she is lucky that she is facing Trump. A good speech nonetheless - with the spectacular night yesterday it will be a 5+ point bounce.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »

A great speech. I'm amazed at how in four days the Democrats have picked up the mantle of being the optimistic, patriotic, family values, American exceptionalism party.

To be fair, listening to Trump's message, they certainly created an opening.

Agree
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 05:51:30 AM »

Clinton stayed true to herself.  The speech was workmanlike, plainspoken and focused on issues.  Her delivery was ponderous and it didn't electrify.  You could almost see her checking off each Democratic Party interest group as she went along.  But in true Hillary Clinton fashion, it got the job done.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 05:52:20 AM »

To be fair, her speech wasn't bad.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 06:37:02 AM »

I thought it was a great speech, especially the second half. I don't know that it was the best speech at the convention, but I don't think the nominee in 2012 necessarily gave the best speech overall either (I think that was Bill Clinton).

As good as some of the speeches were and some of them moved me to tears, I was always looking forward to hearing from Hillary herself. I was not disappointed. In fact, my tears from before turned into an outright cry when I saw her take the stage. Seeing her take the stage was almost overwhelming to me. I feel history is so close. I absolutely believe in her and I trust that she will do everything to try to be the best President possible.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 08:42:47 AM »

I thought it was a great speech, especially the second half. I don't know that it was the best speech at the convention, but I don't think the nominee in 2012 necessarily gave the best speech overall either (I think that was Bill Clinton).

As good as some of the speeches were and some of them moved me to tears, I was always looking forward to hearing from Hillary herself. I was not disappointed. In fact, my tears from before turned into an outright cry when I saw her take the stage. Seeing her take the stage was almost overwhelming to me. I feel history is so close. I absolutely believe in her and I trust that she will do everything to try to be the best President possible.

As if the entire issue about her conduct regarding her e-mail servers is somehow irrelevant.

I believe in Jesus Christ, and Him Crucified.  I don't believe in Donald Trump, so I certainly don't believe in Hillary Clinton.  But the election is, pretty much, a binary choice, with the third choice being "It doesn't matter."  I'm not going to choose as my President someone who has been as dishonest about her conduct in high office and as self-serving as Hillary Clinton, who believes that she's owed the Presidency.  Two other Presidents have shared that grudge; one was Buchanan and the other was Nixon, and both of those Presidencies turned out to be tragic.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »

As if the entire issue about her conduct regarding her e-mail servers is somehow irrelevant.

I believe in Jesus Christ, and Him Crucified.  I don't believe in Donald Trump, so I certainly don't believe in Hillary Clinton.  But the election is, pretty much, a binary choice, with the third choice being "It doesn't matter."  I'm not going to choose as my President someone who has been as dishonest about her conduct in high office and as self-serving as Hillary Clinton, who believes that she's owed the Presidency.  Two other Presidents have shared that grudge; one was Buchanan and the other was Nixon, and both of those Presidencies turned out to be tragic.

I have no idea what you're rambling about. Is it Hillary's emails or is it religion? I don't know what your distrust in Donald Trump has anything to do with Hillary Clinton.

Hillary Clinton has served this country in great capacities (short of an immediate family member in the military). She has empathy for those that are willing to sacrifice their lives for this country. I don't even believe Donald Trump is even capable of empathy. Hillary Clinton has fought her entire life for progressive causes. There have been failures and successes. And you contradict yourself in your own sentence. You state that this election is a binary choice and yet you somehow mention a third option. Do you even understand what a binary choice means?

Fwiw, you bring up your own religious beliefs in this topic.  I could have easily attacked you on that, but I chose not to. Like I've already said, I know I was raised better than Donald Trump or any of his nasty supporters. I cannot understand how anyone can be raised to support someone like Donald Trump.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

I have no idea what you're rambling about. Is it Hillary's emails or is it religion? I don't know what your distrust in Donald Trump has anything to do with Hillary Clinton.

Hillary Clinton has served this country in great capacities (short of an immediate family member in the military). She has empathy for those that are willing to sacrifice their lives for this country. I don't even believe Donald Trump is even capable of empathy. Hillary Clinton has fought her entire life for progressive causes. There have been failures and successes. And you contradict yourself in your own sentence. You state that this election is a binary choice and yet you somehow mention a third option. Do you even understand what a binary choice means?

Fwiw, you bring up your own religious beliefs in this topic.  I could have easily attacked you on that, but I chose not to. Like I've already said, I know I was raised better than Donald Trump or any of his nasty supporters. I cannot understand how anyone can be raised to support someone like Donald Trump.

That was mighty gracious of you, not attacking my on a statement about my faith.  That you could have easily attacked me on that but didn't disappoints me.  Frankly, I'd have preferred you have brought it out in the open.  I suppose you didn't because it would diminish your own arguments.

I was not raised to insult people as Donald Trump does, but I was not raised to lie in official proceedings, as Hillary Clinton has, and as Bill Clinton has.  That these instances may not rise to the level of criminal perjury does not take away the fact that this was lying under oath.  I was raised to tell the truth at all times, even when it was not in my interest to do so, and this was confirmed in my professional life.  So you'll forgive me if I don't have the view of Hillary Clinton that you do.

FWIW, I don't make friends based on my political beliefs.  I go to church with folks who are just about all Trump supporters who cringed when I voted for Obama in 2012.  I have lifelong friends who think I've lost my mind voting for Trump, and plead with me to change my mind.  I don't think everyone who supports Clinton is a world-class HP, and I don't think that everyone who supports Trump is a Yuge FF. 

That being said, this election is a Binary Choice.  Paul Ryan is right about that.  It is a choice between Trump and Clinton, or letting other people decide and hope for some incredibly unlikely miracle to occur.  You ask me how I can vote for Trump.  Bottom line for me is (A) I agree with him on more issues than I do with Clinton (or any other Republican for that matter), and (B) I consider Hillary not only to be a Foul Character, but a Liar and a Phony.  That phoniness attempts to conceal the same level of self-centeredness that Trump possesses, only without the sense that at some level, she is accountable to the public.

I'm not asking anyone else to vote for Trump.  But you asked me how I can do it, and this is how.  Have at it; tell the world that I'm and HP and a scumbag.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2016, 01:40:13 AM by Ogre Mage »

I believe in Jesus Christ, and Him Crucified.  I don't believe in Donald Trump, so I certainly don't believe in Hillary Clinton.  But the election is, pretty much, a binary choice, with the third choice being "It doesn't matter."  I'm not going to choose as my President someone who has been as dishonest about her conduct in high office and as self-serving as Hillary Clinton, who believes that she's owed the Presidency.  Two other Presidents have shared that grudge; one was Buchanan and the other was Nixon, and both of those Presidencies turned out to be tragic.

So now you have developed telepathic powers and can read Hillary Clinton's mind.  

Clinton has spent many years preparing herself for the presidency and has done the hard work of laying out numerous specific plans for tackling the nation's problems.  For instance, her $275 billion dollar infrastructure plan would create millions of new jobs and improve our crumbling roads, bridges, railways and waterways.  She takes the huge responsibility of the presidency seriously.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/hillary-clintons-modest-infrastructure-proposal/418068/

And then there is Trump who does nothing but wallow in his own ignorance, meanness and complete lack of policy knowledge.  His insane and bigoted infrastructure plan is a border wall which he delusionally claims Mexico will pay for.  Trump has lied more than Clinton during this campaign (see link below) while also making ridiculously arrogant and stupid statements like "I know more about ISIS than the generals do" and "nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it."  

So I will take the candidate who has actually showed that she has (realistic) plans to tackle the country's problems over the one who just swoops in claiming he alone can fix everything while offering no detailed plans.  And he refuses to show his tax returns, even though all nominees have done so for at least the last 35 years, Clinton included.  What is he hiding?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/27/why-clinton-is-less-trusted-when-trump-lies-much-more/
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies