Opinion of Scott
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:48:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Scott
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Opinion of Scott  (Read 2848 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »

You people realize that just because the galleries are gone does not mean the posts themselves are gone, right?

but effort Sad

srsly though I'm sure there are caches of both threads somewhere on the internet

You must be logged in to read this quote.
^^^^

Sure it wasn't nice to delete two major community threads but don't be dicks, guys. Personal attacks against Scott will be infracted etc just like they would be for anyone else
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »

Personal attacks against Scott will be infracted etc just like they would be for anyone else

I only count one personal attack in this thread so far.  Huh  I don't see an overreaction to anything here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »

Awful. There are some lines you just don't cross.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »

When you find out the reasons behind his removal of the threads, you will understand why he did it.

Please elaborate.
Because a "terrible creep" decided to post his FB pictures on the IRC. It was not cool.

So he retaliated for this non-forum action by deleting two lengthy, well-established forum threads?

Yeah, you lost me there too Sanchez. Can you elaborate further (even by PM)? I want to give Scott the benefit here, but like Joe said it seemed like an odd spiteful thing to do.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »

Honestly I was on his side in that whole debate, but after he decided to punish the entire forum because a troll of the far-left variety did something stupid, I've lost a good chunk of my respect for him.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »

When you find out the reasons behind his removal of the threads, you will understand why he did it.

Please elaborate.
Because a "terrible creep" decided to post his FB pictures on the IRC. It was not cool.

So he retaliated for this non-forum action by deleting two lengthy, well-established forum threads?

Yeah, you lost me there too Sanchez. Can you elaborate further (even by PM)? I want to give Scott the benefit here, but like Joe said it seemed like an odd spiteful thing to do.
I sent you a PM detailing what I know.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »

Please send it to me as well.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 04:23:41 PM »

lmao
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »

Ditto.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »

Actually please send it to a Mod. I don't want other threads being struck out.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 05:33:04 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Just had a talk with him - all I'm saying (out of respect for his privacy) is that Scott didn't delete these threads out of spite. I still don't agree with his reasoning, but I at least understand where he's coming from and he has my respect again.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »

Massive FF.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »

Yeah, even if he's being harassed, I don't know what deleting two threads with thousands of replies achieves.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 06:46:44 PM »

Lest we forget that Scott left the forum in a tiff when he was unable to cope with people pointing out that calling his roommate "a gangsta from some hood" was kind of racist, here is one of his last posts:

Oh yes, and I fully expect the 'racist' accusations to pop up any minute now.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

No, you would not ever describe a white neighborhood as a "hood". Don't lie. I made an effort to assume good faith, but it's clear that you don't even understand what the problem is.

None of us are perfect in the language that we use, but thoughtful people pay attention when they use offensive language and agree not to use offensive language in the future. Don't pretend that what you said wasn't racist. You clearly anticipated the fact that people would call you out on it:

Oh yes, and I fully expect the 'racist' accusations to pop up any minute now.

Maybe instead of being preemptively defensive about the racist things you said, you could try not saying racist things. If for whatever reason you can't understand why it's not okay to describe black people or their communities with the terms "gangsta" or "hood", then don't worry about it. You don't need to understand if it's too difficult. Just don't use those words.

And here you continue to operate under the assumption that the objective of my comments was to illustrate my dorm mate's race rather than his own personality and individual sense of style.  What's truly racist is that you apparently like to project this standard for "white neighborhoods" versus "black neighborhoods" even though nothing in my post inferred anything about that.  Remember, it is you who specifically expressed that "black people and white people are different culturally."  You choose to view society through that set of lens.  I don't.

I would ask you to just stop interjecting race into the conversation in what I see as a pathetic attempt to veil your own racism, but then that would defeat the point of your accusations entirely.  So I'll leave you to wallow in your own delusions and think what ever you want about me until you come to realize the irony in your words.  Sound good?

Unfortunately, Scott's prophesy has not yet come to pass and I have not seen the light and realized that I was the real racist or whatever. As a result, I have no choice but to make the conclusion that I did then, which is that he was a pretty useless poster.

I know that he thinks that I'm a racist because I'm aware that racially coded language is a thing that exists, but I don't bear him any ill will. I hope he figures things out and I hope Jesus is good for him and most of all I hope that he never becomes a minister of any sort, because that would end poorly for everyone involved.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »

FF - a really nice guy. Too bad about this last stunt.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 02:22:58 AM »

Please elaborate.

I sent you a PM detailing what I know.

Thanks for doing so. Suffice to say I hope Scott is doing well. Nice guy, but I really wish he hadn't deleted those threads.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »

I hope he figures things out and I hope Jesus is good for him and most of all I hope that he never becomes a minister of any sort, because that would end poorly for everyone involved.

^^^
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies