California Districting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:45:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  California Districting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Districting  (Read 18708 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: July 12, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »

Yeah lumping in Santa Ana with Villa park and Anaheim hills is well, weird to say the least. But congratulations on creating an all republican OC although CD 9 would be a little interesting.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 04:09:15 PM »

CD 9 should be GOP. It seem to have enough of Anaheim Hills, the wealthier parts of Fullerton, and hyper conservative Yorba Linda, to keep it safe, despite the array of sans culotte precincts in the "wrong" part of Anaheim, and marginal areas such as La Habra.

Ahh godamned Yorba Linda.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:25:36 AM »

Yeah lumping in Santa Ana with Villa park and Anaheim hills is well, weird to say the least. But congratulations on creating an all republican OC although CD 9 would be a little interesting.
Nothing weird about putting Orange and Santa Ana in the same district.    Villa Park has about 6,000 residents and is entirely surrounded by Orange.

Personally, I think it is really weird to put San Clemente in the same district with Riverside, Costa Mesa in the same district with Palos Verdes, and Whittier in the same district with Chino and Mission Viejo.

Yeah your districts are not bad at all...if you are a republican. Smiley  Well of course there is the voting rights act thing but disregarding that good job.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »

Nothing weird about putting Orange and Santa Ana in the same district.    Villa Park has about 6,000 residents and is entirely surrounded by Orange.

Personally, I think it is really weird to put San Clemente in the same district with Riverside, Costa Mesa in the same district with Palos Verdes, and Whittier in the same district with Chino and Mission Viejo.

Yeah your districts are not bad at all...if you are a republican. Smiley  Well of course there is the voting rights act thing but disregarding that good job.
Working class Hispanic turnout is so low, and Middle class Hispanics in Orange County probably lean Republican anyways, that it takes some gerrymandering to create a district that will elect a Hispanic. If you don't consider that a valid goal of redistricting, obviously you'll create a map with only Republican districts in Orange County - Santa Ana was the only city in the county to vote for John Kerry, and it did so by a handful of votes. (Sanchez' district, even as it stands, voted for Bush.)

Yes Santa Ana has horrendous voter turnout. That city is basically 95% hispanic yet it is somewhat competitive. Its those  god darned Vietnamese I tells ya!!!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »

AHAHAHAH seizure world... funniest thing I have seen today.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:52:15 PM »

About 3/7 of the district is in Riverside County with almost all of that in the city of Riverside.   The rest of the district is in San Bernadino county, in the city of San Bernadino and other suburbs to the south.

You're mean.
Why is that?

Putting Riverside and San Bernardino in the same district. It reminds me of when Republicans talked about putting the urban cores of Minneapolis and St. Paul in the same district.

Eh it would still be hard to create another democratic district. Well I guess you could stretch out some LA districts...... Anyways Riverside has a very small, extremely ghetto urban core surrounded by suburbs which generally vote republican. San Bernardino and neighboring cities supply a lot of the democratic vote.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »

hmm.. Fountain valley is more republican than I thought.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »

That is what happens when a place is 64% Anglo and 26% Asian, with the latter mostly Vietnamese.

I guess for some reason I thought it was another Westminster. I was mistaken. Its more a continuation of Costa mesa and HB I guess.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:15:20 PM »

That is what happens when a place is 64% Anglo and 26% Asian, with the latter mostly Vietnamese.

I guess for some reason I thought it was another Westminster. I was mistaken. Its more a continuation of Costa mesa and HB I guess.

Westminster is that deep blue town next to it, so FV is another Westminster, except that Westminster is more Vietnamese.

Well demographically it is a bit more white than Westminster making it closer to Huntington Beach. Of course it is the vietnamese that give both towns their conservative flavor and make them more GOP than a basically white town like Huntington beach. I am guessing the beach but I have look into their precincts a little more.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It is very much possible to create no black majority districts but you cannot not create hispanic majority districts. And many of those districs will have a majority of areas "like" south central LA. The LA basin(except for the coast) is just one big ghetto.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah I was thinking about the historical black districts which have of course changed a lot in these last couple of decades. The black population in southern california is much more spread out now( especially in the IE).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »

The black population is also declining, except for the middle class. The most black census tracts now are mostly middle class in LA County. The Hispanics are driving them out. It's the imperative of economics at work.

I do not think the black population is declining, its got more to do with socal expanding while their numbers really do not. You are also right about blacks living in middle class areas these days. There is only so much gangbanging you can take. Sadly this subprime mess is hitting those people the hardest.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »

The Census needs to talk to the Census. While the ACS is showing a decline, their estimates page is showing a very, very slow increase.

Ya, numbers are all over the place.

Wouldn't be surprised if the reality is that the black population is basically static with some loss due to immigration to the south and some natural increase due to births and what not. I do believe they are going to the south and perhaps Nevada. I have no clue why else the black population would be declining. I am sure it has to do with higher cost of living in the cities.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies