Alberta 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:40:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta 2012 (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Alberta 2012  (Read 90013 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »

2012 Alberta Senate Election

It's a pretty boring map, because it's multiple first past the post, etc. The interesting bits are the brown ridings in the North (Medicine Hat was won by the same candidate, at 14%).

The third Wildrose candidate doesn't appear to have won any ridings.

I have completed another table where I have totalled the vote received by the three PC candidates and the three Wildrose candidates (left independents separate, as I don't think there was a "ticket" for them). I'll work on a map of that tomorrow - it looks like PC and Wildrose won every riding. Surprises include Wildrose winning Calgary-Fort, Calgary-McCall, Fort Mac-Conklin and Lesser Slave Lake, while PC wins Highwood, Calgary-Fish Creek and Calgary-Shaw. All Liberal and NDP provincial seats went PC for the Senate.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »

Can't edit my previous post from my phone browser. Obviously the final sentence should include the words "with the exception of Calgary-McCall" at the beginning.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »

Strange map. I noticed the key is different from mine, as I used percentage of ballots while used percentage of votes.

Indeed strange. I wasn't sure the best way to total votes because of it being multiple fptp. Any advice would be appreciated. I picked the scale after arranging a column of maximum vote percentages in ascending order but percentage of ballots might give a different scale.

My observations - I'm guessing the Germain was from St Paul or somewhere up that way. Evergreen won in E-Strathcona. Shaikh sounds like he might be of a non-white ethnicity, he may have links to (be from) the C-McCall or C-Greenway community. Bracko was the former Liberal MLA from St Albert.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:53 AM »

What map of precincts? I'm new and need to know where.

Scroll down a couple of boards, to "Political Geography and Demographics" within the "General Politics" cluster of boards. You are then looking for the DRA, which stands for Dave's Redistricting App (I've included the link to the thread so you can find it).

Have fun!!! (I shouldn't have told you about this... we probably won't see you for the next three weeks... it's seriously addictive!!!).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies