Fundamentalist Belief Inventory Quiz (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:36:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Fundamentalist Belief Inventory Quiz (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fundamentalist Belief Inventory Quiz  (Read 9341 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »

31/40. I agree with JBrase that the test was poorly worded.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2014, 06:44:38 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

That still seems high for you, Sanchez, even though I'm not entirely familiar with your theological views.  Are you still a creationist?
Of course. You speak as if creationism was some fringe position that would make my score higher than usual, when it is pretty widely accepted by Christian's across the nation in some form or another. I am not a young Earth creationist, though.

I'm a liberal Baptist (though I am thinking of joining the United Church of Christ despite their liberal theological views since the Baptist Church I attend in an hour and a half away). My views are very similar to JBrase's, actually.

A good example of where my theological views diverge from both Unitarians and Baptists is the Heaven/Hell debate. I cannot believe in a god who casts people into hell for never hearing of him, and I believe good people can go to Heaven, I also believe that a literal hell exists for those who choose not to believe (or simply choose not to care), though I don’t view their damnation as God turning away from them as much as I do them refusing to turn away from sin.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2014, 07:02:46 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

That still seems high for you, Sanchez, even though I'm not entirely familiar with your theological views.  Are you still a creationist?
Of course. You speak as if creationism was some fringe position that would make my score higher than usual, when it is pretty widely accepted by Christian's across the nation in some form or another. I am not a young Earth creationist, though.

I'm a liberal Baptist (though I am thinking of joining the United Church of Christ despite their liberal theological views since the Baptist Church I attend in an hour and a half away). My views are very similar to JBrase's, actually.

Well, I know it's not a fringe position, especially among Baptists, though it is a view I would characterize as being more fundamentalist than conservative.  That's not to say you can't be a creationist and still have moderate or liberal views on theology and social issues, of course.

As a UCCer myself, I would certainly never recommend against it to anyone, but you should know that it is probably the most liberal out of all the Protestant denominations, perhaps second only to the Unitarian Universalists (which is not an inherently Christian church, even).  The UCC doesn't really endorse an evolutionist or a creationist view of the universe, but its understanding of how the Gospel can be interpreted is very different from that of many other churches.  It's also unabashedly active in the political scene (at least the national church is) and pro-gay rights, which I know you are as well.  I guess I would characterize it as big tent on theological issues, progressive on political ones.  (Of course, it's more apt to endorse specific causes rather than political parties... which I think is the way to go.)

Sorry for going on a tangent there.  Those are just things you should keep in mind if you want to join the UCC, which I've been with for quite some time now. Smiley

EDIT: Ah, BRTD has a point.  The Disciples of Christ are basically "theologically progressive Baptists," as one of my pastors once put it.  You would fit in there, too.
I appreciate the advice Smiley. I found a Disciples of Christ Church not too far away from me (though it does involve the chaotic drive down I-95 through West Palm Tongue) that seems to fit my preferred size of a church. I'll definitely look into it. The only disagreement I seem to have with them is communion, and that really is a minor issue in the greater order of things.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies