Australian Federal Election - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:54:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian Federal Election - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15
Author Topic: Australian Federal Election - Results Thread  (Read 51181 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »

Leading party by division, Senate elections.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »

Lingiari?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »

Melbourne Ports?? Griffith? Perth?

I'm guessing this is leading on first preferences, and these inner-urban seats are being lead by the coalition due to large Greens votes?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »

Not sure; might be issues with which areas have been counted and which haven't, or it might be Snowdon's personal appeal to white voters.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »

Greens are on 16.23% and Sex Party are on 5.06%, Shooters and Fishers just ahead of Sex on 5.37% (evidently men like hunting and fishing more than sex... go figure...).  

That leaves Country Libs on 38.84% and Labor on 32.99%.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/SenateDivisionFirstPrefsByVoteType-15508-306.htm

Hugh - yeah, Senate, therefore first preference by group.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »

Melbourne Ports?? Griffith? Perth?

I'm guessing this is leading on first preferences, and these inner-urban seats are being lead by the coalition due to large Greens votes?

Yeah, these are first preferences as that's all the AEC publishes for Senate elections at divisional level.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2010, 07:15:48 PM by Parlez-vous Platypus? »

so it's a pretty good indication of what would happen without preferential voting, and without tactical voting that FPTP encourages...less horrible for Labor than I would have expected (but still bad...55 ALP, 1 Green, 94 Coalition)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »

so it's a pretty good indication of what would happen without preferential voting, and without tactical voting that FPTP encourages...less horrible for Labor than I would have expected (but still bad...55 ALP, 1 Green, 94 Coalition)

I've done this map (for the reason you mention here) for the last Victorian State Election. Not sure if I've uploaded it here yet. Actually, have some sensational maps of the 2004 election (estimated vote by CCD), which I can print out and give you over coffee later (I didn't draw them, but I think the copyright probably is in the public domain, at least for non-commercial purposes).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »

Oakeshott says he wants there to be a "grand coalition", and wants to reform the way Parliament works so that the party leadership of the majority party doesn't decide everything:

link

If that doesn't happen (and it won't) then he might not back either side.

Betfair now has the probability of Labor forming the next government at 53%, and the probability of it being the Coalition at 47%.

I'm struggling to think of any recent election anywhere in the world where things have still been this uncertain three days after the election.  OK, there are cases like Iraq, but that's a bit different.  There, you've got about five significant factions, and the question is which particular combination of them is going to make a deal.  In countries where it's normally a contest between two major parties, when was the last time something like this happened?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »

Now it looks like Tony Crook and WA Nationals are saying that they won't support the Coalition unless they get more $ for rural WA??:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/profile-tony-crook-20100822-13azk.html

That's related to a question I was going to ask --

What - other than a political disaster - would prevent some sort of Labor-National coalition (other than the LNP merger in Queensland)?

What - other than a political disaster - would cause African Americans to vote Republican in the mid-terms this year?

(okay, probably a little more chance of the Nationals going off and having a Coalition with Labor, but you get the point... the Coalition has been around for about 80 years now - longer than the Liberal Party has been in existance in its current form).

Didn't the Nationals have a coalition with Labor at the provincial level somewhere until recently?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2010, 08:29:08 PM by ag »

An update on Hasluck:

Lib 33,786
Lab 33,417

difference of 369 votes
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2010, 08:26:15 PM »

An update for Dennison:

Lab 20,349
Ind 19,937

412 votes
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »

Dunkley

Lib 35,990
Lab 35,493

497 votes
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:46 PM »

Verily: We don't have provinces. And yes, in the state of South Australia.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

I'm struggling to think of any recent election anywhere in the world where things have still been this uncertain three days after the election.  OK, there are cases like Iraq, but that's a bit different.  There, you've got about five significant factions, and the question is which particular combination of them is going to make a deal.  In countries where it's normally a contest between two major parties, when was the last time something like this happened?

In Australia (federally), the last time would have been 1961.

There are a large number of myths surrounding this election, put to rest, however, by former Democrats Senator (and Greens candidate in Brisbane at this election), Andrew Bartlett, on his blog.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53:58 PM »

Now it looks like Tony Crook and WA Nationals are saying that they won't support the Coalition unless they get more $ for rural WA??:

What - other than a political disaster - would prevent some sort of Labor-National coalition (other than the LNP merger in Queensland)?

What - other than a political disaster - would cause African Americans to vote Republican in the mid-terms this year?

(okay, probably a little more chance of the Nationals going off and having a Coalition with Labor, but you get the point... the Coalition has been around for about 80 years now - longer than the Liberal Party has been in existance in its current form).

Didn't the Nationals have a coalition with Labor at the provincial level somewhere until recently?

SA Nationals aren't affiliated with the national party.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »

SA Nationals aren't affiliated with the national party.

It cost them their only seat in SA in March as well.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »

Independent back in front in Denison, according to AAP Newswire, but Liberal lead is narrowing in Hasluck.

Denison, Wilkie leads by 1,100 votes, with 1,600 pre-poll all that remains left to count.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2010, 02:12:11 AM »

AEC is counting prepoll, absentee and postal in Hasluck; Jackson (ALP) is leading on absentee with 53.4%, but is only getting 48.2% of pre-poll. She's also behind on postals, with only 47.3%.

It should be noted that provisional, which will favour her, are not yet being counted, and that these are very small numbers of the total absentee/pre-poll/postal votes. But not looking good for Labor.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »

FWIW, the standard pattern is *usually* that the coalition lead on absentee and postal and Labor on provisional (but that's usually not a huge number of votes). I'm not sure which way pre-poll leans, but I'd suspect not in the direction of Labor.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2010, 02:20:22 AM »

FWIW, Southcott (Liberal) is doing hugely well on postal votes in Boothby, and horribly on absentee, so my previous post may be thoroughly incorrect.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2010, 02:57:06 AM »

FWIW, the standard pattern is *usually* that the coalition lead on absentee and postal and Labor on provisional (but that's usually not a huge number of votes). I'm not sure which way pre-poll leans, but I'd suspect not in the direction of Labor.

Absentee tends to go much the same as on the day, as it's people voting on the day from outside their electorate. Since parties all have their campaigners out, the only parties to be disadvantaged are the ones who don't run in all the electorates, who only get a handful of votes anyway.

I'd normally factor pre-poll to favour Coalition, although not as strongly as postals. Hold on, while I look at a few seats (approximate values based on deviation from Ordinary Votes, these are percentage points, so if the Greens received 10% of Ordinary Votes in a seat, and they received 12% of postals, it would be shown as +2%, not +20%. Additionally note that I'm only listing some of the parties, not all, so estimates won't sum to 0):

2007:
Chisholm (Absentee): Lib -1.5%, Lab -5.5%, Greens +3.45%, Fam First +1.55%, Dems +1.1%
Chisholm (Pre-Poll): Lib -0.6%, Lab -1.8%, Greens +1.6%, Fam First +0.45%, Dems +0.2%
Chisholm (Postals): Lib +6%, Lab - 5.4%, Greens - 2.4%, Fam First -0.5%, Dems +0.14%

Goldstein (Absentee): Lib -6.2%, Lab -0.9%, Greens +5.2%, Fam First +0.36%
Goldstein (Pre-Poll): Lib +1.8%, Lab -2.5%, Greens +0.7%, Fam First -0.26%
Goldstein (Postals): Lib +11.1%, Lab -7.3%, Greens -3.5%, Fam First -0.35%

Higgins (Absent): Lib -6.3%, Lab -0.9%, Greens +4.8%, FF +0.7%
Higgins (Pre-Poll): Lib +4.3%, Lab -4.5%, Greens +0.53%, FF -0.03%
Higgins (Postals): Lib +11.11%, Lab -7.5%, Greens -3.8%, FF +0.12%

Hotham (A): Lib -0.21%, Lab -9.2%, Greens +6.1%, FF +0.9%
Hotham (PP): Lib +1.3%, Lab -2.8%, Greens -0.9%, FF -0.24%
Hotham (P): Lib +4.9%, Lab -2.6%, Greens -1.9%, FF -0.4%

Isaacs (A): Lib -1.5%, Lab -3.9%, Greens +3.7%, FF +1.55%
Isaacs (PP): Lib +1.2%, Lab -3.4%, Greens +0.95%, FF -0.33%
Isaacs (P): Lib +8.2%, Lab -5.4%, Greens -1.5%, FF -1.4%

Kooyong (A): Lib -3.9%, Lab -2.7%, Greens +5.1%, FF +0.6%
Kooyong (PP): Lib -0.5%, Lab -1.5%, Greens +1.8%, FF +0.09%
Kooyong (P): Lib +10.9%, Lab -7.7%, Greens -3.2%, FF -0.03%

Melb Ports (A): Lib +2.1%, Lab -7.01%, Greens +3.4%, FF +0.75%
Melb Ports (PP): Lib +0.9%, Lab -1.5%, Greens +0.45%, FF +0.16%
Melb Ports (P): Lib +10.2%, Lab -2.7%, Greens -7.2%, FF +0.03%

These seats are all clustered in the inner south of Melbourne. Some are safe Liberal, some are safe Labor, Isaacs was (at the 2004 election) the most marginal Labor seat in Victoria (if my memory serves me correct). The Greens do particularly well in Melbourne Ports, and still very well in Higgins and Kooyong. I figure all of them clustered together makes them good for comparison, but at the same time, having variation between types of seats means that there is no particular trend (such as a Liberal incumbent's name recognition in every seat which might influence the result - ie, some seats have a Liberal incumbent, some a Labor incumbent, I think a retiring member in Isaacs, very high name recognition of incumbents in probably all non-retiring seats, including Peter Costello and Simon Crean). None of these seats were marginal following the 2007 election, however, so some results may not be directly comparable with the marginal seats currently being counted.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #247 on: August 24, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »

From the ABC numbers, the Lib lead in Hasluck has grown, and is now almost as big as the Labor lead in Corangamite.

Hasluck: Lib lead of 586
Corangamite: Labor lead of 637
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #248 on: August 24, 2010, 06:07:56 AM »

In today's Financial Review, they ask an actuary for the odds on a parliamentary majority of one seat unraveling because of a member dying.  The answer the guy gives is that there is a ~20% chance of at least one member of the House dying in any 12 month period.  That would correspond to a ~50/50 chance of it happening during a 3 year term.  Of course, in an evenly split House, it's just as likely to happen to a member in the minority as a majority.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2010, 06:30:51 AM »

Little birdie suggests Corangamite might see quite a big Lib surge in the votes to come. Certainly looks possible.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies