Attorney General Confirmation Hearing: King [Confirmed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:18:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Attorney General Confirmation Hearing: King [Confirmed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Attorney General Confirmation Hearing: King [Confirmed]  (Read 3456 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2007, 07:40:09 AM by Sam Spade »

The President having nominated King to serve as Attorney General, this Senate hearing is hereby convened such that it may consider the nomination.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:52:08 PM »

I'll ask the first question:  Do you promise to not be an "assclown" too often in the performance of your duties in this position?  Cheesy
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »

I'll ask the first question:  Do you promise to not be an "assclown" too often in the performance of your duties in this position?  Cheesy

Would the Senator please define the word "assclown" for the record? Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »

To answer your question, Sam:  Considering I would be a member of the prestigious Cabinet of Presidential Kiss-Asses, I will only be an assclown by order of Colin (or if the Senate passes any assclownic criminal laws for me to overuse and persecute the masses with as Atlasia's only official public attorney).

Anyway...

Members of the Senate, as made evident by the recent Northeast Senate election along with various other court rulings of past months, our nation is in a period of transition.  The Legislative and Executive branches have done so much in these past three years that there is now enough bureaucratic red tape for the Atlasian Supreme Court, like so many other court systems in the world, to become the ultimate deciding force of our nation's future.

In my four-month tenure as the Attorney General, I plan to build on this new judicial era of control by firmly and cleanly establishing the laws of the legislature.  Among all, I have two set goals for my term in office:

(a) Establishment of the Codes of Atlasia--similar to the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act--which supersede and re-organize all previous Atlasian statute.  These codes will be well categorized and feature only the current and active statute of the country.  I believe this would immensely improve the ability of the legislative branch to change the laws of the Atlasia without worry of inaccuracies and the judicial branch to sort through all legal documentation for their rulings.  Rather than introducing a new piece of legislation, a Senator would just propose an amendment to one of the codes (ex. Taxation & Spending, Electoral Law, Public Service Regulation, Criminal Law) inserting or modifying direct clauses of statute.

(b) Creation of an Atlas Bar--Not really a goal, but more of a side project that I thought of doing.  Once a code is establish, I'll create a bar exam and we'll have some official and competent Atlas attorneys at law.  Fun. Tongue

I'll present more ideas to the Senate when I think of them.  As of now it'll be just that goal and a half plus maybe adding in some thoughts to the debates on the Government board where I see fit.

This is all, of course, if you confirm me.  Wink
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »

Sounds fine to me.  But I don't think you need Colin's permission to be an assclown, King.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 01:13:48 PM »

Sounds fine to me.  But I don't think you need Colin's permission to be an assclown, King.

I don't, but I'll be one if asked.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:23:06 PM »

Do you cases you want to bring up against Atlasians citizens in mind?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »

One final question, King:  Will you promise to keep the Wiki updated?  That's all.  Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 02:42:41 PM »

I've read through this statement four times and I still can't understand what the hell you are trying to say.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »

I've read through this statement four times and I still can't understand what the hell you are trying to say.

Insert "have" between "you" and "cases" and it makes a little more sense.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 04:13:52 PM »

I did that on the third read through and it still didn't make much sense. Do you have cases you want to bring up against Atlasians citizens in mind, still really isn't all that intelligeable to me.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:16:52 PM »

I did that on the third read through and it still didn't make much sense. Do you have cases you want to bring up against Atlasians citizens in mind, still really isn't all that intelligeable to me.

As the attorney general he could prosecute cases before the Supreme Court, I was wondering if there was anything he wanted to bring up considering his recent idea of suing the Pacific over some legislation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 04:17:55 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2007, 04:20:07 PM by 0 member »

Here Colin, I hope this works:

Do you [have any] cases [in mind that] you [would] want to bring up against [any] Atlasians citizens in mind?

Um, no.  I never said I would bring up any... or at least seriously.

One final question, King:  Will you promise to keep the Wiki updated?  That's all.  Smiley

Yes, sir.  I will try to update ASAP, but at the very least, I will update it once a week.

As the attorney general he could prosecute cases before the Supreme Court, I was wondering if there was anything he wanted to bring up considering his recent idea of suing the Pacific over some legislation.

Most, if any, problems I might have with the Pacific in the future I will do in the Pacific courts as required by the Pacific constitution.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 04:18:46 PM »

Well then why didn't you just say that instead of writing it in whatever invented language you created just for that post.

Here Colin, I hope this works:

Do you [have any] cases [in mind that] you [would] want to bring up against [any] Atlasians citizens in mind?

Thank King. It's good to know that my AG is able to translate DWDL-speak.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »

Thank King. It's good to know that my AG is able to translate DWDL-speak.

Yeah, I found this cool DWTL-to-English decoder ring in my last box of Trollios: The Official Cereal of Gporter and John Engle.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 09:35:12 PM »

Anymore questions?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 12:10:01 AM »

I have always know King to be a serious, effective officeholder in Atlasia. Best of luck in your latest capacity, sir.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 07:50:33 AM »

I have some concerns about this nominee. Questions to be posted soon.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »

So that Al has time to ask his questions, I will motion for an injunction for an extra 48 hours of debate to be held on King's nomination, extending from the time when 72 hours of debate would have been over this afternoon. (see Article 7, Section 2, Clause 4 of the OSPR).

A Senator must second this motion.  If no one has seconded this motion by the time I log on tomorrow morning, I will start the voting.

I apologize for not being around this afternoon.  I've been busy...
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »

I'll second it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 03:48:33 PM »

Al:  Basically, there's 24 hours left before I must legally start the vote regardless.  Just letting you know.  Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2007, 06:38:09 PM by Al the Sleepy Bear »

Oh, I know that Smiley

I'm half-tempted to wait until tomorrow morning to ask my questions, but they're fairly short. Anyway...

Could Mr King please answer the following questions?

1. While you certainly have a great deal of experience in government, in your case this would appear to weigh against you. You were one of those people who held government job after government job simply because you were (and perhaps are) well connected.
In my opinion, your conduct in these jobs was often below acceptable levels (although nowhere near as bad as others, including at least one serving Senator, have been).
Have you changed? And if you say yes, why should we believe you?

I should add that I hope that you have done as I think that you could turn out to be a decent Attn. General. But you past record is enough of a concern to warrent the above question.

2. In your new job you will have to update and look after the Wiki and so on. In one of your previous roles you presided over the destruction of the voting booth. Are you still associated with the sort of people that you blamed that on?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 07:14:38 PM »

Thank you for your questions, Senator.

1. I'll admit it: I bounced around from job-to-job in my early days based on these connections, winning elections on pure hype, and I agree my performances, with the possible exception as SoFA, were unsatisfactory.  However, back then I was very inexperienced and overeager to excel.  I had ambitions of more power and a better title only to find the jobs I'd accept to be not as fun as I imagined it would be.  I am ashamed to say... I wasn't as knowledgeable about anything as I am today.  I was ignorant and lazy.  Sometimes I think if only I could have that term as Senator back, I would've done so much more than what I did which was little more than direct votes as PPT and make fun of a certain former Senator from Ohio whom I assume was a member of your "not as bad as others" group. 

I believe I now have the capacity to serve as an Attorney General.  I am settled down, smart, focused, and whether it be good or bad, experienced.  Why should you believe me?  Well, it's about trust really.  You can check this if you want, but I don't think I ever made a promise before holding an office that I didn't keep.  I made promises earlier in this thread I intend to keep.

(Sorry if rambled on with this answer.)

2.  I remember that incident from a few years back and unfortunately I never discovered who was responsible.  All I remember was coming to the forum with the booth missing and the election restarting the next weekend.  I can assure I have since changed my password for different reasons and it's important to remember anybody can edit the Wiki so my associates in a sense do not matter.

Hopefully this changes your mind about me, Al.  I know you aren't afraid to start a KINGWATCH if I do poorly so I'll be on my toes if confirmed.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »

The question is on the Senate's confirmation of King as Attorney General.
Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain on the nomination.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies