October Presidential Election Debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:17:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  October Presidential Election Debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: October Presidential Election Debate  (Read 1298 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: October 08, 2016, 05:41:14 AM »

Friends I'd like to thank Enduro for setting up these debates, with Clyde. I know it can be a hard, and tiresome experience trying to get things like this off the ground. I'd also like to thank my wonderful opponents Yankee and Rpyror for joining me today at this debate, as we take place in this great Atlasian Tradition.

I'll start by being short- I decided to run for President last month because I knew that we needed some to fight for Atlasia. I'm not running because my party needed someone to run, or because someone dropped out- I'm running because I believe that I've got the energy, the ideas and most importantly the proven activity over the last 6 months to show that I care deeply about this game, and want it to succeed. However I fear that Atlasia is in a difficult place at the moment.

The solution is simple- we need to change the way we play the game.

I'm the only candidate who's put out a truly wide ranging reform plan - one that would massively expand the role of GM, introduce a Crisis System that would require players to react to RL and Unique events such as hostage situations, floods, health scares and so many more events. I'd also want to use the office of the Presidency to bring more people into the game, and to help set up new Media offices so that Atlasia isn't simply a hollow shell where we pass some laws, and then pass some more.

This election is about who's got the energy and vision to fight; but also who can bring Atlasia together. I was proud to pick KingPoleon as my running mate; I'm proud to have the support of several members of United Alternative- in fact I've even tied in their conference vote.

I'm the only candidate with a wide ranging reform plan, I'm the only candidate who's released details of my first 50 days in office and well I may be biased but I think I'm the only candidate who has the passion and energy to transform the role of President.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 03:24:44 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2016, 04:20:03 PM by Senator Blair »

Blair, would you like to take this opportunity to explain what the crises system that you propose is, and how it works?

Thanks for asking about this- it's really been one of the center points of my campaign, and it would be the major aim of my administration to get it into place. It's exactly the type of bold move we need to bring some fun back to the game; and it's by far the most wide reaching reform that's been proposed out of the three of us. We need serious change.

My Crisis is simple; it would work with the GM and requires a rather committed and skilled player in that role-which is why I'd want to keep Clyde on.  Here's a timeline of how it would work

+ The GM would either use a real life or user created event such as a terrorist attack, Health Outbreak, Foreign incident, Protest, Riot etc.

+ The GM would contact relevant players- in the context of a terrorist attack it would be the President and Cabinet- he'd give them the break down of the Scenario and most importantly a time limit to reach a decision.

+ Likewise for long term events- like a famine, a flood or health outbreak legislators would be responsible requiring immediate action.

+ The GM then posts the results of said; I'd like to see something similar to Lumine's Fantasy games where a simulation system/odds could be used among other things.

The essence of the System is that it requires us to react; rather than allowing us to take the game at our own pace. Obviously I'd work with players across party lines to develop this, and would want to put some safeguards in place to stop the GM saying 'Nukes will land in 10 minutes Mr President, get the Nuclear Football out'.

I really feel this can be the type of reform that will put some spark back in Atlasia, and actually test our ability. We need real change that extents beyond slogans, and platitudes

For all the candidates, what will be the Game Moderator's role in your administration?

Well firstly I think my Crisis system shows that I want to put the Game Moderator at the center of the game; I want him or her to be the beating heart that puts a bit of spark into the game. I know it can be a tireless and thankless Job- I'm sure the other candidates will agree that Clyde has done a brilliant job so far as GM.

I'd want to see a focus on economics. If we're not active, and if we don't make certain changes we should rises in unemployment along with other events. We can't play this game in a bubble where nothing ever goes wrong.

I'd also want to give the GM a remit over policies- I actually agreed with Potus a while back when he said that some old Atlasian laws would cause Soviet Style economic problems. It's like if someone tried to bring back the gold standard I'd want the GM to have a right to create a reaction- just like if someone passed a law banning private capital.

We basically need a more responsive game, and one that is driven by the actions and decisions of players.

For all the candidates, how will you encourage Regional Governments to become, and remain, more active?

I know first hand about how to get the regional governments up and going- just last year I served as Governor of the Northeast for 6 months. I took a region with high unemployment and one which was deeply divided and frankly made it the strongest region in the game- in terms of job creation, activity and policy discussion. I want to do this again for every region in Atlasia.

I'd have a message board based chat with the Governors of every region every two weeks to keep them updated on the game, on my actions as President and the actions of the GM. We need players to interact with each other not just when there's an election on.

With the starling number of vacancies in regional governments I'd want to create a pinned board highlight vacancies, and the dates of all regional elections. We need to boost the profile of our regions- who have clearly suffered since the ConCon.

I think a big boost can come from the GM- we need to have specific regional events and Crisis. The regions are suppose to represent the brilliant diversity in Atlasia. This is why I'd tie in regional events into my reform of the office of GM to give them the spark that we need.

When the regions are healthy Atlasia is healthy. It's clear at the moment that we're not doing enough. We need to elect a President who is going to fight, fight and fight again for our regions.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:24:08 PM »

Firstly, what do you seek to do in regards to foreign policy if you are elected? Would you seek to pass a Common Market Agreement between Atlasia and the United Kingdom, such as the one that is currently being discussed between the Secretary of State and the British Government?

Foreign Policy needs to become a process in Atlasia rather than well a discussion. As with every conversation we have in these debates the question has to be how can we improve the role of foreign policy in Atlasia, and how can we make it more important.

I'm the only candidate who's laid out a clear plan of my first 50 days in office , and most importantly a big part of that is foreign affairs. The President should be the face of Atlasia abroad; and frankly we haven't done enough to promote a clear, and concise foreign policy in the last 4 months.

As President I'd coordinate with the GM to visit Africa, South America, Europe and Asia. In each trip the challenges that affect every other foreign leader should be present- there should be negotiations, trade deals, peace deals and so much more. Foreign Policy shouldn't be about publishing a long speech that no-one reads.

However it's important that people know my record. In the Senate I passed legislation strengthening our relationship with Ukraine by providing them with arms, and economic aid. It's vital that we support the government of Ukraine- the specter of dictatorship hangs over Eastern Europe and to we need to make it clear that Atlasia will stand up for a free Eastern Europe.

I'm also working to pass legislation to strengthen our coalition that's fighting ISIS, and to support the government of Libya. My foreign policy in this respect is simple- I want Atlasia to extent the hand of freedom, democracy and decency to people around the world. We can't simply stand by and close ourselves off.

In regards to the Common Market Agreement I'm deeply skeptical of allowing a freedom of movement clause when Britain is in such a state of limbo- in my view we should wait until we hear much more from the post Article 50 negotiations. I'd want Britain to stay in the Single Market so that they're integrated into a strong European Economy. I don't think now is the time to be entering into such a wide reaching, and frankly unheard of agreement when the people of Britain rejected one just 5 months ago. However there clearly needs to be a Trans-Atlantic deal of some sort in the aftermath of Brexit, and we need to strengthen the ties with the UK when dealing with Security issues, and to stand together with our other NATO Allies.

I think on the whole with Foreign Policy we need someone who can talk the talk and walk the walk. I've published numerous bills on foreign policy issues ranging, but I've also lead trade visits as Governor of the Northeast and been at the center of making sure that Foreign Policy is given the importance it deserves. As always only once we reform, and improve Atlasia can we have a foreign policy to be proud of.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 03:41:14 PM »

Additionally, how would you set out to reform healthcare? The Congressional Committee on healthcare has discussed a number of options that could be considered, do you support any of them?

I've been mapping out a healthcare plan with my running mate KingPoleon and with Senator Scott over the last couple of months. I'll start by being honest- I'm not going to cut corners with my healthcare plan. Yankee is someone who I will be looking forward to work with on healthcare policy, regardless of what the final result is. We need to layout a new Healthcare strategy not just because of the moral impetus but also because frankly it strengthens our society if we can tackle both the rising costs of Health Insurance for everyday Atlasians, and for the marginalized in our society.

Obamacare introduced a lot of common sense reforms; which is why I opposed reforming it in the Healthcare committee. For example Obamacare stopped the absurd practice where insures could deny coverage on the basis of pre-existing conditions if a women had a miscarriage, or where Insures could put a cap on how much they pay out.

However there's much more that I want to;
+I'd want to use anti-Trust laws to stop large insurers merging in states with very little competition.
+I'd want to work with the Regional Governments to set up regional Co-Ops schemes to provide more competition and allow people to have a close role in organizing their own health insurance schemes.
+I'd want to expand medicare and medicaid coverage, and allow people over the age of 55 to buy into Medicare.
+ I'd want to have a boost in funding HIV/AID's care; as part of a wider 'tackling Health Inequalities' program that would focus on problems that have plagued Atlasian society.
+ I'd finally want to see a focus on mental health care, especially among young adults and other at risk groups.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »

Finally, the latest figures suggest that our debt to GDP ratio is now over 100%, how would you structure the budget in order to start reducing the deficit and the national debt, while expanding the economy?

Well as Governor of the Northeast I passed a balanced budget, lowered the tax burden, slashed unemployment by 25% and passed a stimulus bill with bi-partisan approval. Don't judge me by what I've said- judge me by the results that I achieved when I was in the seat of power.

We face a big task with the deficit and debt. For this reason from Day 1 I'd work with congressional leadership to pass a budget; that will be a flagship priority for my administration. Likewise I believe a big, comprehensive discussion about the budget can bring some much needed activity to the game.

In regards to my plan I'd like to build on the brilliant work by Speaker NeverAgain; who authored a bill closing a number of corporate loopholes such as the Cruise Ship loophole which allowed US cruise companies to base themselves in tax heavens to avoid paying any tax. I'd also lead an international effort to fight tax evasion and avoidance. As the Panama papers show us this is a crucial issue for our time.

We also need to address the Shibboleth of the Defense Budget, and accept that it's simply not sustainable. I'd want to introduce a number of common sense solutions; cutting some of the 800,000 civilian workers, merging Army, Naval and Air Force hospitals and tackling the spiraling costs of certain projects like the F-35 fighter that have just absorbed so much of our budget.

Finally I'd focus on investment and growth; the old saying that a rising tide lifts all boats is certainly true when it comes to the much needed investment in our nation. I'd appoint a non-partisan infrastructure board to set up major investment in our roads, bridges and ports. Likewise this should go hand in hand with an investment in apprentices, and other skills for those not going to College. Finally a focus should be on the potenial of green jobs, and renewable energy, and expanding the role of the green sector in our economy.

I'm not going to stand here and say it will be easy to fix the federal budget- it will be a Herculean task that will require co-operation, energy and activity from a leading President. I'm the only candidate who's shown first hand that they can do this in the last year.   
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »

Closing Statement

I'll keep my comments short. The election next weekend will define Atlasia; I want the election to be looked back as the moment that we came together and say 'we're going to fight like hell' for Atlasia, and to save this game from the pits of inactivity.

I've always said that I'm running for President because I believe that I've got the best reform plan; one that will actually change the way the game runs. I'm running for President because I've got the executive experience fixing the Northeast just 7 months ago- bringing it back to being the most successful region in the game. I'm running for President because frankly we can't just stand up with platitudes and expect the game to fix itself. My slogan about fighting for Atlasia is true- I've devoted the last 6 months to getting the Senate to work, the 6 months before that restoring the Northeast and only months before that standing up to my own party to help save the game.

Your vote will decide the path we take- if you want to transform Atlasia, if you want an active Atlasia, if you value this game we need a President who is passionate, committed and prepared to fight tooth and nail for this game. I am that candidate, and I hope that you join me in saving Atlasia. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies