Sanders campaign: Clinton won only states where we didn't compete (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:23:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders campaign: Clinton won only states where we didn't compete (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders campaign: Clinton won only states where we didn't compete  (Read 3857 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: March 28, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »

I think that a lot of people are voting for Mrs. Clinton simply because she is a woman.
She has made that a campaign issue.

Yeah, I had to take down my Carly Fiorina sign before I could switch to Hillary /s
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »

I think that a lot of people are voting for Mrs. Clinton simply because she is a woman.
She has made that a campaign issue.

Yeah, I had to take down my Carly Fiorina sign before I could switch to Hillary /s
Thank you for making my point for me. She has made this an issue and women are a group that she is appealing to. Nobody can deny this. She is playing the gender card. People do vote on personality rather than on policy. Of course, I don't think this is the way to vote, but some people do. Fioriana and Palin are examples of this. There are limits. People don't tend  to have this as the only criterion. They don't usually switch parties because of gender or race. However, many are under the illusion that there isn't much of a difference between candidates of the same party; I am sure that some people don't realize how stark the contrast is between Clinton and Sanders, so they let themselves be swayed by the "vote for her, it's time for a woman" argument. Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to have a woman POTUS, since we have never had one, but really, do you want to vote based soley on that? That is the only reason I can think why people would chose someone whose policies are so inferior to Sanders'. $12 minimum wage? Really?

No one is voting for her simply because she is a woman unless they would also vote for Fiorina and Palin. They are women too, aren't they? The number of people I know who would vote for all three is zero.

And unless Sanders will implement a nationwide $15 minimum wage by executive order upon assuming office, there is no difference between him and Clinton on minimum wage.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, I do believe that Fiorina and Palin are, in fact, women. Smiley

They also made a big deal of this. Why on earth do you think McCain picked Palin in the first place. Yes, of course, there are few people who would vote for any woman, but I am not talking about the general election, I am talking about primaries, and we can argue until pigs fly as to whether this is a factor or not in why people are supporting Clinton, but the reality is that she has made her gender an issue. She has played the gender card and Albright has played the gender card from the bottom of the deck. It is politics at its worst.

As for the policy differences, if nothing get passed by Congress, then what good would Clinton do as POTUS? Clearly one major difference between the two is foreign policy. The POTUS is very powerful in what s/he can do. We know on this issue Clinton is far to the right.

Of course her gender is an issue, it's a part of who she is. If sexism weren't an issue, she wouldn't be running as the first female president in a country where women are half the population. We'd have women as well represented as men in the top echelons of the party/movement. We just disagree on this.

Yes, she has far more experience and knowledge of foreign policy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »

Actually, I totally believe that we should have a woman president and that it would be a good thing, in fact, that would be one good thing about voting for her; but that is obviously not my point. What she and Albright have specifically said on the issue, and that people are ignoring the huge differences between the two candidates is what bothers me. Would Sanders be any weaker on issues important to blacks or women? Of course not; he would better, in my opinion. Clinton stated that she is not part of the establishment because she is a woman. Albright has demonized women who don't vote for Clinton. Obviously it is wrong to vote for a woman because she is a woman even if you don't agree with her positions. I didn't vote for Palin and I wouldn't vote for Fiorina, and I don't feel that Clinton's gender is a very good reason to vote for, especially when there are women out there who are much better. Obviously I wouldn't have a problem with Warren, had she run. I am glad that the Democrats are pushing for full equality. Ferraro and Pelosi were as close as we have come. It would be a step forward to have a woman as POTUS, but we don't want the wrong woman. Considering that Sanders is more in tune with the progressive wing of the party, and it would be a mistake to support someone because having a woman president is a good idea. I was glad to see Obama get elected, but we haven't solved racial issues in this country just because he happened to be black and we aren't going to solve gender issues in this country simply by virtue of having a female POTUS.

Fortunately Albright is not on the ballot, or a major part of Hillary's campaign in any way. And anyone who thinks she meant her comment literally is absurd.

Clinton is definitely not a part of the establishment with respect to her being a woman. One of the things that bothers me when the Sanders people call her 'establishment' or 'business as usual' is that in this aspect, she most definitely would not be.

No one supports Clinton solely because she is a woman, but her being a woman is still an important plus. Whether it's a tie breaker for you depends on how important you view breaking down that barrier compared to the net total of other issues. FWIW, I don't think Sanders is running a issues-based campaign, either. He's running a personality-based campaign, based on the notion that he's more honest than her. And a lot of his supporters are supporting him solely due to that.

IMO Hillary was right about Assad and if he had been taken out in 2011 there would have been no ISIS, while Libya was an understandable humanitarian intervention, and the country is still better off than Syria.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »

Of course, it is. I am just arguing that it is not the most important issue.
I do think that some people are making much more important than it is and
are not aware of how different Sanders and Clinton are on many issues.

Again, no one thinks it's the most important issue. Their Senate voting records are identical 93 percent of the time-- and that includes votes where her position is further to the left than his, such as on gun control and immigration.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies