MI-01: Dems recruiting former Major General Jerry Cannon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:43:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-01: Dems recruiting former Major General Jerry Cannon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-01: Dems recruiting former Major General Jerry Cannon  (Read 2920 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »

http://atr.rollcall.com/democrats-recruiting-gitmo-commander-mi01/

Cannon is the former commander of Guantanamo Bay, and would be one of the best Democratic recruits this cycle in my opinion.

Considering Gary McDowell came extremely close to beating Benishek in 2010 and 2012, having a better candidate could shake things up a bit.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »

Awesome to hear.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »

Who?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »

Benishek was probably the single least likely Republican survivor of the 2012 general election. Considering that Snyder's right-to-work probably won't be well received in this sort of white-working-class, traditionally Democratic area, I can see this seat swinging towards the Democrats in 2014 even if it is a lean R year and Snyder survives. That said, McDonnell, who represented large parts of this district in the state House and was active in politics earlier, has more experience and might be a stronger candidate than Cannon. But this'll certainly be a top Democratic target next year almost no matter what.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »

Benishek was probably the single least likely Republican survivor of the 2012 general election. Considering that Snyder's right-to-work probably won't be well received in this sort of white-working-class, traditionally Democratic area, I can see this seat swinging towards the Democrats in 2014 even if it is a lean R year and Snyder survives. That said, McDonnell, who represented large parts of this district in the state House and was active in politics earlier, has more experience and might be a stronger candidate than Cannon. But this'll certainly be a top Democratic target next year almost no matter what.

Benishek is a yooper. This fellow is not. Advantage, Benishek.

Most of the population in this district doesn't live in the Upper Peninsula.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »

Only around 100k more live in the lower peninsula, though. I'm fairly optimistic about our party's chances here, especially since it's a working-class district.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

The yoopers vote in a far more territorial fashion than the trolls. Here is a great write on how stupak won the district by massive margins.

Link

Krazen is actually right on this. People in the UP are weirdly proud of their useless landmass, and there are some that will vote against any candidate who is not from there. It's not insurmountable of course, but it is a factor.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »

With Cannon... Lean D, but he might not get out of a primary. Being a Commander at Gitmo will not be popular with the base.

With anyone else... Lean R
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »

Absolutely disgraceful a GITMO COMMANDER is a "top recruit" for DEMOCRATS, the party has lost his way, shameful. I would vote for a Republican over this guy, and I don't even know him, that title alone is a no go.

The Dems are just embarrassing with their lack of conscience. 
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

Absolutely disgraceful a GITMO COMMANDER is a "top recruit" for DEMOCRATS, the party has lost his way, shameful. I would vote for a Republican over this guy, and I don't even know him, that title alone is a no go.

The Dems are just embarrassing with their lack of conscience. 

Beyond seconded. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who saw this.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 06:39:12 PM »

Military brass make for good candidates, Cannon was doing a job regardless of rather you agree with GITMO or not. One less vote for incompetant Boehner as Speaker is what counts here.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 07:23:37 AM »

http://atr.rollcall.com/democrats-recruiting-gitmo-commander-mi01/

Cannon is the former commander of Guantanamo Bay, and would be one of the best Democratic recruits this cycle in my opinion.

You realize they'd have to deal with him in Congress after?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2013, 05:56:24 PM by Zioneer »

On one hand, he's a freaking Gitmo commander. On the other hand, he may be one of the only people who can win this seat. Hmm...
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »

On one hand, he's a freaking Gitmo commander. On the other hand, he may be one of the only people who can win this seat. Hmm...

Yeah. This is seems like one race where I would stay neutral.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »

And here it is:
[quote]Retired Army Maj. Gen Jerry Cannon officially announced on Tuesday that he will challenge Republican Rep. Dan Benishek in Michigan’s 1st District.

“Throughout my military and law enforcement careers I have lived the values of sacrifice and service everyday. People have counted on me to step up, serve our community and protect our way of life in northern Michigan. I’m ready to answer that call again,” Cannnon said in a news release.
bluedogsam
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

i think Cannon would be a good congressman. he served his country in time of duty. i would vote for him if i lived there. Gitmo has the most dangerous enemies to the U.S.  thats why they are there.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »

Yet another reason why I can't call myself a Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies