Christians: Is the Bible complete and perfect?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:41:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christians: Is the Bible complete and perfect?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Mmm?
Yes

No

Not sure / Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Christians: Is the Bible complete and perfect?  (Read 4163 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »

Yes, otherwise it wouldn't be God's Word.
And there you have the reason I'm not a fundamentalist. Despite the abundant evidence that it was written by fallible men about God they cling to the simplifying assumption that the Protestant Bible is God's Word.
What evidence?  It may have been written by men, but it was inspired by God.  I don't really consider myself a "fundamentalist" in the traditional sense, but I do agree with them on that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »

Yes, otherwise it wouldn't be God's Word.
And there you have the reason I'm not a fundamentalist. Despite the abundant evidence that it was written by fallible men about God they cling to the simplifying assumption that the Protestant Bible is God's Word.
What evidence?  It may have been written by men, but it was inspired by God.  I don't really consider myself a "fundamentalist" in the traditional sense, but I do agree with them on that.

Let's start off with the disagreements over what to include.  Such arguments are very odd for a book established by God, but very understandable for a text compiled by men trying to understand God.  Why use only the Masoretic canon when for centuries the Septuagint had been the standard Christian OT in the West?  Why include the five books of the NT that were excluded from the Pesh**tta? (2 Peter is one of the books not in the Pesh**tta and it causes a number of other thorny issues because of its angelology, its cosmology and  its quoting of the Book of Enoch.)  For that matter which version of Daniel? (As I've indicated elsewhere, I don't consider the non-Aramaic portions of Daniel to be original and I'm highly doubtful they should be considered canon.)

Conversely the evidence for the Bible being "God's Word, complete and perfect" basically boils down to tradition, a tradition that for the Protestant Bible is only a quarter as old as Christianity itself.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »

Yes.

It has all the answers mankind will ever need.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »

I love books, but at the end of the day I worship God, not a book.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies