Walker doesn't rule out another invasion of Iraq
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:18:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker doesn't rule out another invasion of Iraq
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker doesn't rule out another invasion of Iraq  (Read 626 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »

Seriously, is he even trying?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wisconsin-gov-scott-walker-rule-invasion-iraq/story?id=31590709

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker says he wouldn’t rule out a full-blown re-invasion of Iraq if he were to become the next commander-in-chief.

The likely Republican presidential candidate and early frontrunner in several polls said he would consider a re-invasion if it were deemed necessary to protect American national security at home and abroad.

"It would not be limited to anything out there," Walker told ABC's Jonathan Karl in an exclusive interview with for “This Week.” "Once we start saying how far we're willing to go or how many troops we're willing to invest, we send a horrible message, particularly to foes in the Middle East who are willing to wait us out."
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »

Walker-sessed.

For the record, I don't see the word "invasion" once uttered out of his mouth in the article.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:31 PM »

Walker-sessed.

For the record, I don't see the word "invasion" once uttered out of his mouth in the article.

I never saw that in Vietnam neither
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »

Walker's problem is that he is just not supple enough. Sure, never say never, but he could have said he certainly hopes such an invasion never occurred, he does not expect such a decision would be necessary, and he has other options he would pursue to contain the bad guys, and it would only be a last resort if there were compelling circumstances, and he gets Congressional authorization. The frosting on the cake would be to also discuss the downside of an invasion, like getting into the middle of a civil war again, who are the friends, and who are the foes, beyond the cost in lives and treasure. Or something like that. I see Walker having to spend a lot of time explaining what he said before, and what he really meant. It's not going to be pretty I suspect.

Rubio hasn't been great either with this as we know. Nor has Bush. Iraq seems to be a special kind of Pub tar baby.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »

The press must really hate Walker. Endorsed.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »

I'm beginning to see the need for aggressive military intervention in the Great State of Wisconsin to liberate the Cheeseheads from the biggest Cheesehead of all.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »

First of all, way to exaggerate that article with your title, but I expect nothing less from you, to be honest.

Secondly, I have no idea why Walker is the flavor of the month to be the nominee.  He's boring, gaffe-prone and looks like a doofus.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »

Yeah, nowhere in the article does he say anything like that at all.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »

First of all, way to exaggerate that article with your title, but I expect nothing less from you, to be honest.

Secondly, I have no idea why Walker is the flavor of the month to be the nominee.  He's boring, gaffe-prone and looks like a doofus.

If you bothered to click on the link then you'd see that's the title of the ABC article.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »

If you bothered to click on the link then you'd see that's the title of the ABC article.

Yes, and ABC put those words there, not Scott Walker.

This is kind of the last straw for me supporting a Walker presidency, I had grim hopes before, but now I'm certain he's just like the rest.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 08:56:10 PM »

I have no idea why Walker is the flavor of the month to be the nominee.  He's boring, gaffe-prone and looks like a doofus.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »

The press must really hate Walker. Endorsed.
Yeah, it's really unfair to him that they're making him look bad by reporting things he's said
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »

You notice that the 2016 GOP candidates talk a lot about ISIS and Iraq and critique Obama and you can see them ending up trying to out hawk each other. Graham and Pataki are already outright calling for re-invading Iraq, so you can see others follow. By time of the general election the GOP could look seriously warmongery. Even if Americans think more should be done with ISIS, do they want someone who seems eager to pour troops into the mideast (again).

Even George Will warned against this
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/george-will-criticizing-obamas-iraq-strategy-will-become-problem-for-gop/
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 11:42:27 PM »

Walker-sessed.

Doesn't matter (to the media) - Walker is well on his way to getting Quayle-ized. "Walker says stupid stuff in interviews" is becoming his defining characteristic. Even when it's something that's only quasi-stupid, like this interview, it's portrayed as "Walker says something dumb".

His supporters will get more irate, and defend "their guy" even more fanatically, but if the Walker campaign can't fix this in the next three months or so, he's done. It doesn't even matter what he actually says, the narrative will be "Walker says idiotic things in interviews". And not even because the media hates Walker, but because "Walker inserts foot in mouth" is a more popular story than "Walker is kinda dull, and sort-of right wing".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies