The Emergency Relief Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:21:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Emergency Relief Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Emergency Relief Act  (Read 3598 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: April 05, 2005, 09:29:05 PM »

Okey dokey, it's time for more Nasolation.

As introduced by Sen. Naso:

The Emergency Relief Act

CLAUSE I
In the event of a natural or manmade disaster, the Atlasian government will be on stand by to deploy national guard, federal aid, and relief to affected areas.

CLAUSE II
In the event of an impending natural disaster, such as a hurricane or a winter storm, the Governor of that Region will declare a state of emergency for the state(s) in the expected path of the event.

CLAUSE III
After the disaster has taken place, the government will be prompted to respond in 48 hours or less. (UNLIKE THE TSUNAMI DISASTER)

I hereby open debate on this bill.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 11:06:07 PM »

Utterly unneccessary, Mr. President I ask you kindly to bring this to a vote ASAP so we can get to more important bills seeing as its going to be a 1-9 vote.

Current resolutions state that a vote can be started 24 hours after a bill has been introduced unless debate arises, and I don't really want to break procedures, so unless Naso chooses to withdraw this bill it will come to a vote at around 7:30 PM tomorrow.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 07:38:59 PM »

Rats, and here I hoped I could just call a vote and get this thing done with. Smiley  I suppose I have to open a vote on Hughento's amendment.

I propose an amendment to strike clauses 2 and 3 from this bill, and to edit clause 1 to the following:

In the event of a large-scale natural disaster, the Atlasian government will attempt to assist the affected area where possible. If necessary, financial aid shall be given to the affected area at levels determined by the Secretary of State.

I hereby open voting on this amendment.  All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".

---

Abstain.  I'm going to be voting nay anyway no matter what happens, given how pointless this bill is, so it's immaterial to me where this goes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 01:33:05 PM »

The amendment needs one more "nay" to fail.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 01:47:47 PM »

The amendment needs one more "nay" to fail.

Change your vote to Nay, Gabu...WE MUST BE DONE WITH THIS!

Wouldn't make a difference, actually.  With an abstain, you need five for a majority; without one, you need six.  We'd still need one more nay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 03:31:40 PM »

Presently there are 4 against with one abstention and a number of ayes. If we get another nay, then the worst case scenario is 4-5-1, which is a fail for the amendment.

If Gabu changes his vote to Nay from abstain, the worst case is 5-5-0, which can then pass if Alcon breaks the tie in favour of Aye.

But if we get another nay in addition to my changed vote, then the worst case is 4-6-0.  Or, if we don't, and I don't change my vote, then the worst case is 5-4-1.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 01:28:57 AM »

With five votes against to three in favor, and with one abstaining, this amendment has failed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 02:59:20 AM »

Yeah, okay.

I hereby bring this bill to a vote.

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".

---

Nay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 03:37:50 PM »

This bill now has enough votes to fail.

Senators now have 24 hours to change their vote.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 05:53:26 PM »

With six votes against to one in favor, this bill has failed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies