Mideast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:19:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 255024 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: July 31, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »

I will assume the governor's post means we are now in session.

Despite being the new guy around here, I'd like to get the ball rolling and nominate Assembleyman Inks.LWC for re-election as our speaker.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »

Here’s my first attempt at a bill. I read in this thread that there was some discussion of defining a “charity” so I figured I’d give it a try. This is largely based on the US federal government, but allows religious charities to receive funding without losing their ability to control standards and hiring practices.  I included an exception to the Mideast Adoption Statute and would recommend completely retooling that since the only issue it even mentions is same-sex adoption.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »

This bill does not outlaw adoption by LGBT citizens in the Mideast, it simply allows religiously affiliated agencies the ability to act in accordance with their own beliefs. In RL only 50% of US adoption agencies are privately run and presumably less than that in Altasia since the Mideast Adoption Statute forces religious organizations to choose between following their beliefs and serving children and families. Presumably not all private agencies are religiously affiliated not all that are would forbid adoption by LGBT citizens. In practice, adoption agencies discriminate by a wide array of characteristics, including race, marital status, wealth, and religion. For some reason, none of this is regulated at all, agencies are not even certified by anyone, but for some reason universal adherance to same-sex adoption is mandated. This bill would not change that; it simply grants a religious exception. Government agencies (and many private ones) would still practice same-sex adoption.

As for employment, this would simply allow religious organizations greater control over who they hire. It does not seem unreasonable to me for religious organizations to set their own standards in hiring practices, even requiring their employees to be members of that religion if they so choose. LGBT issues should be no exception to this.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »

This is a mix of Deleware laws, Sarbanes-Oxley, and a bit of my own personal thoughts. I am not an accountant and this is beginning to enter that realm if done in any more detail… so bear that in mind. If anyone sees a mistake somewhere feel free to correct me.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »

I'll third the nomination Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »

This is modeled after the state of Kentucky replacing all their traffic lights’ incandescent bulbs with LEDs. It’s expected to save them $3.2 million per year in maintenance costs.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »

This is modeled off a similar project in Logan, Utah to use algae to clean up a body of water polluted with phosphate-laden runoff. As the Mideast Region is home to one of the most polluted bodies of water in the entire country, and one polluted with cyanobacteria from phosphate-laden runoff, I propose we study implementing the lagoon harvesting process implemented in Utah. In total, this is more or less an niche energy source only valuable in a very specific set of circumstances like what we may have here and an inexpensive waste treatment option for phosphate-rich streams.

I'm not entirely sure how our appropriations work given the state of our budget...but here it is anyway.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »

Does one of the Assemblymen need to sponsor the governor's legislation? Or can we simply begin debating his proposals?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2011, 01:48:14 PM by TJ in Cleve »

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »

ZuWo

as part of a plot to make Inks vote on it Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »

After watching the drama unfold in the Northeast over whether or not a constitutional amendment vote is an “election”, I think we ought to make it clear that in the Mideast, it is an election.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »

How would my fellow Assemblymembers and Governor feel about a law abolishing laws requiring citizens to wear a seatbelt? I was thinking, no longer making it a requirement for people 18 and older, as well as an rodents. Basically leaving it to the insurance companies.

Thoughts?

I would generally be against such a measure because seat belt laws both reduce injury and act as a source for revenue for local governments and aren't too terribly invasive. I could see allowing those 18 and older to ride in the backseat with out them, but that's the limit of how far you could reduce the seat belt laws while still getting my vote.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »

I unfortunately will probably not be in the assembly long enough to vote on this, but here is the welfare bill discussed some time ago.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies