Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:09:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread  (Read 6285 times)
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« on: July 05, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »

I'm hearing the whispers about Romney running for President in 2016. Thinking about it, it makes some sense even though I think he would be better situated to run in 2020. If Romeny throws his hat into the ring for 2016 I think he would be aiming for a VP role, which he wohld be perfect for. If Trump or Paul is the nominee then having Mitt on the ticket would be a good choice. Here's why:

1. Name recognition: Americans are already familiar with Mitt and he has a solid base (about 47% of voters)
2. Money: Mitt Romney can self fund. If he's on a ticket with Trump then they can both self fund and trumpet their business acumen
3. No baggage: Willard isn't going to create any controversy  a la Sarah Palin, we already know his story and his family. Nothing is going to come out about him that we haven't already heard
4. Campaign experience: Mitt has already ran in many elections and is a proven winner. This is an asset to someone who has never ran a national campaign
5. Principles: Mitt doesn't shy away from his principles so he has more credibility than most politicians. Remember when the guy in a wheel chair asked him about medicinal marijuana? He wasn't swayed by the moment, he stuck to his guns and said "hey buddy, no way" which I think would play well with the GOP base

Like I said, he probably shouldn't run for President until 2020 (Nixon was smart to wait eight) but if he gets a vp spot he can keep his name in the press. If the GOP wins, he would be next in line for 2024 (like Mondale was even though Carter lost). People say things about regional balance and all that nonsense but a Trump/Romney ticket could be solid. They could talk about their economic experience and other successes, having a consistent message. Sort of like Clinton and Gore in 1992. The guys were similar but that made the ticket's message more cohesive so people bought into the vision.In fact Clinton and Gore was such a good team that they beat not only one major opponent, but two. You ddon't see that very often these days.

What do you guys think? Would Mitt be a good pick for veep in 2016 or should he run for governor of California or Michigan in 2018 instead?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies