Opinion of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:03:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Candy

Horrible Candy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Opinion of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups  (Read 1479 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »

I'm not an America hater, but you guys can't make chocolate.
Please give us your address so we can bombard you with American chocolate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »

I hate chocolate and I hate peanut butter.  Guess?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »

?

erm.  Chocolate was only made in America for the first several billion years of its existence.  It didn't make its way to Asia, Africa, or Europe till Cortés brought some back to spain with him in 1528.

(and they say yankees are bad at history and geography!)

Anyway, HP.  I don't care for peanut butter, and on the rare occasions when I do eat it, I certainly don't want the powdery, bitter, dry stuff that is in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »

?

erm.  Chocolate was only made in America for the first several billion years of its existence.  It didn't make its way to Asia, Africa, or Europe till Cortés brought some back to spain with him in 1528.

Anyway, HP.  I don't care for peanut butter, and on the rare occasions when I do eat it, I certainly don't want the powdery, bitter, dry stuff that is in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

angus, kindly knock off your alternative facts.  Wink
dax00

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 11:02:36 PM »

great, especially straight out of the freezer
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »

?

Anyway, HP.  I don't care for peanut butter, and on the rare occasions when I do eat it, I certainly don't want the powdery, bitter, dry stuff that is in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

angus, kindly knock off your alternative facts.  Wink

Well, nowadays most of the beans are grown in Africa.  I saw a seminar a couple of months ago from an engineer who works at Wilbur Chocolate factory in Lancaster.  They supply dark and light raw cake to confectioners all over the world, but their beans come from Africa nowadays, and not from the Valley of the Sun.  He had been to Africa several times to inspect their facilities, and one of their main complaints is that the african suppliers of bean fill the bags with nails, bricks, shrapnel, anything heavy because they're paid by weight.  Usually they get the metal fragments out before purchase but occasionally some slip through and it costs the company lots of money.  Sometimes they even get into processing and they have to throw out the whole batch.

Lots of the confectionary companies in southeastern PA (Hershey, Lancaster, York, etc.) buy from them.  I'm told by people who like chocolate that the "good" chocolate is made not in Pennsylvania, however.  Pennsylvania supplies the brown and yellow processed raw cake, but confectionary companies in New England and California apparently make the "good" candy.  High-end stuff you only see in airports and boutique places in the mall.  

I don't eat much chocolate myself, or peanut butter.  Just about the only time I do is around Halloween when my son separates his candy into two piles:  stuff he will eat and stuff he won't.  The stuff he won't consists of chocolate and peanuts.  (He's allergic to peanuts and he can't stand the smell of chocolate--not sure why; we have had him tested by several physicians and allergists and they cannot find a physical reason for his aversion to chocolate.  He just doesn't like it.)  Anyway, he gets all the gummies and jellies and starbursts and skittles and fruity stuff and gives me the chocolate and peanut stuff (which is typically about half the load.)  I promptly take the stuff to lecture the following day and pass it out to the students.  Whatever is left over i take to my office and nibble on it from time to time when I'm hungry and have nothing else to eat.  Unfortunately it isn't the "good" variety of chocolate, apparently.  It's the mass-produced Pennsylvania stuff typically (Reese's, Mr. Goodbar, Twix, etc.) and almost never the high-end California and New England variety (See's, etc.)  Doesn't really matter to me since I'm not a big fan of chocolate to begin with.

Lots of people do seem to like the mass-produced American chocolate, however.  In Germany, in 1945, a piece of ass could be had for a single chocolate bar (Hershey's, at that, which seems to be considered a very low-end piece of chocolate by conoisseurs of chocolate.)  Did you watch the After Hitler documentary on AHC a couple of nights ago?  US servicemen found amateur prostitutes loved it, and a single Hershey bar was all it took.  Of course, for professional prostitutes, it would require cold, hard cash.  At least from UK, US, and French occupiers.  The Soviet occupiers didn't bother with the niceties of barter when it came to demanding sex from the occupied Germans.

The problem with chocolate made by white people (US, UK, Europeans, etc.) is that they make it sweet.  The original purveyors of the cacao beans knew how to make it right.  They called it Xocolatl (which the Spaniards transliterated as Chocolate), and it consisted of a steep infusion of chili pepper, vanilla, and cacao bean.  (Vanilla is also one of their main exports.  I've been to a couple of little mexican farming villages where the smell of vanilla permeates everything.)  I've ordered the Xocolatl drink a few times.  Not bad.  I still prefer coffee.  (no sugar, no milk, just coffee.)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies