Was the 1850s Democratic Party conservative/right-wing by 1850s standards? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Was the 1850s Democratic Party conservative/right-wing by 1850s standards? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See the thread title
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (I)

No (I)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Was the 1850s Democratic Party conservative/right-wing by 1850s standards?  (Read 2674 times)
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« on: March 19, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »

Not uniformly no.

Both parties were conservative until the 1896 election when Bryan won the dem nomination and brought the populists into the dem party.
This is simply false.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »

Not uniformly no.

Both parties were conservative until the 1896 election when Bryan won the dem nomination and brought the populists into the dem party.
This is simply false.

Other then Lincoln I cant think of someone who was not a conservative being the nominee from either the Republicans or Democrats until 1896
That's your argument? So we'll just completely disregard the Barn Burners, the Radical Republicans and many of the ex-Radical turned Liberal Republicans of whom many supported the nationalization of the railroads as all conservative? While I would agree that none of these were(aside from some Radical Republicans) "left-wing" they most certainly were not "conservative" and to insinuate otherwise is pure ignorance of the time periods politics.

Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »

Not uniformly no.

This is simply false.

Other then Lincoln I cant think of someone who was not a conservative being the nominee from either the Republicans or Democrats until 1896
That's your argument? So we'll just completely disregard the Barn Burners, the Radical Republicans and many of the ex-Radical turned Liberal Republicans of whom many supported the nationalization of the railroads as all conservative? While I would agree that none of these were(aside from some Radical Republicans) "left-wing" they most certainly were not "conservative" and to insinuate otherwise is pure ignorance of the time periods politics.

This, the democrats were obviously the consevative party of the day, while the republicans supported the transcontinental railroad, the homestead act (for the common man), some supported the nationalisation of rail roads, support for the income tax.

With the rise of the republican party, and the know-nothings, the left-wings of the whigs, and anti-slavery activists from the democrats joined the republicans, while the right-wing of the whigs, joined the know-nothings, then the Jon Bell.

That was only true till 1874, from 1874 on both parties were clearly conservative till Bryan wing of populists took over the Democratic Party
Simply because their was a general consensus on economic matters aside from the tariff does not mean both parties were "conservative." I strongly suggest you learn a little bit of the period before attempting to argue your "point of view."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies